Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 02:01 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times

Advertisements

Hello Old People!

I was reading an interview with Vinod Khosla, the venture capitalist who bought Martins Beach.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...a-vinod-khosla

Now, before you get all up in arms, Khosla says he's never even been there and wishes he hadn't bought it.

When talking about his lifestyle, though, he said that eating during the day saps his energy and makes him less productive. He has one meal: dinner. He is 63.

At 65, I'm finding the three-meals-a-day thing makes me feel tired. Could he be onto something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 02:11 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
I still like my 3 meals a day, I can't skip breakfast, as I take some pills with it. I am always hungry for lunch. However, one change is that when I was working, dinner tended to be the main meal, now I eat more at the other two meals, & dinner can be quite small.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:18 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Good topic. I have found that eating smaller meals more often makes me feel more energized than the usual three squares.

Also, I try to eat only when I feel I am going to be hungry rather than full out hungry. It’s one of the benefits of retirement because I no longer have to eat on a work schedule.

As for just one meal a day, I’ve tried it. My blood sugar plummets and I get too lightheaded. But everyone’s metabolism is different.

Last edited by Minervah; 09-12-2018 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: Auto correct thinks it knows better than I.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:22 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Hello Old People!

I was reading an interview with Vinod Khosla, the venture capitalist who bought Martins Beach.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...a-vinod-khosla

Now, before you get all up in arms, Khosla says he's never even been there and wishes he hadn't bought it.

When talking about his lifestyle, though, he said that eating during the day saps his energy and makes him less productive. He has one meal: dinner. He is 63.

At 65, I'm finding the three-meals-a-day thing makes me feel tired. Could he be onto something?
I generally only eat two meals a day and have for years.

I don't know where this three meal a day thing started? Was it the cereal people?

Europeans generally only have coffee for breakfast, but they do eat a late dinner. I also eat late.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:24 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I still like my 3 meals a day, I can't skip breakfast, as I take some pills with it. I am always hungry for lunch. However, one change is that when I was working, dinner tended to be the main meal, now I eat more at the other two meals, & dinner can be quite small.
Why can't you take your pills at noon? Wouldn't that be the same 24 hour interval?

And I wonder about this "have to take meds at certain time" thing.

If it was really really important, those of us on meds like that should be strapped to a hospital bed 24/7.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:27 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
Breakfast has been a light one for decades: a lot of coffee with some carb w sugar/fat confection in the past. Regrettably this made me hungry at lunch when I was working & I often ate a sandwich or a meal, typically chicken & rice. More regrettably dinner was late & heavier.

I'm trying now to have hi fiber cereal early & avoid meat before dinner & perhaps have some veggie only days. I can't seem to talk myself into a vegan diet to lose weight but I do have many more vegan meals, but still 3/day.

I do believe that diet is a learned behavior & I am addicted to 3X/day & not always healthy without that discipline of "food as fuel". I would obsess on food if I only ate once a day I think.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:28 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
As for just one meal a day, I’ve tried it. My blood sugar plummets and I get too lightheaded. But everyone’s metabolism is different.
I have much the same thing. If I don't eat something in the morning, doesn't have to be much, I don't feel right.

I was thinking maybe chai for breakfast, which is 1/2 milk. And an Ensure for lunch. I know people hate Ensure. But I really like the Vanilla flavor of original Ensure, and I know it won't make me feel groggy or bogged down.

DH always wants to have dinner, even if he's not hungry, so that would work.

I'm going to be very busy for the next four months with selling. This could help.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:56 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Old person here. Well since I no longer have to squeeze into a uniform, take a mandatory physical exam and pt test every year, I tend to eat what I want when I want. Yeah, I've gotten flabby. I don't care.

Cold pizza at 3am isn't bad.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:09 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
I've also developed an attitude.... who cares when or what I eat.

I'm retired, 76, and resent the idea of being told what I can and cannot eat. My last blood test at the doctor's showed high cholesterol. And then there's the diabetes thing.

The only one who would care is me and there are days I really don't care.

At my age with no one to share life with, kids are alienated from me (daughter hopes I "go" before her father), the only ones I worry about are GG and Sam, my cat buddies.

Low income, can't do much fun stuff due to that problem. I do like food, tho, and much of the fun things to eat are not that expensive. Why not enjoy myself?

I have days when I do "care" but not as often as I don't care.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:14 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Why can't you take your pills at noon? Wouldn't that be the same 24 hour interval?

And I wonder about this "have to take meds at certain time" thing.

If it was really really important, those of us on meds like that should be strapped to a hospital bed 24/7.

Well I could delay my first meal till noon, but why? I enjoy my breakfast. I take my morning pills approximately the same time each day, if it is an hour or two later or earlier, I do not worry. Why would someone need to be strapped to a bed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement