Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 07:14 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,555,785 times

Advertisements

There is a reason for senior menus. It’s not about being on a fixed income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 08:04 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,190,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I still like my 3 meals a day, I can't skip breakfast, as I take some pills with it. I am always hungry for lunch. However, one change is that when I was working, dinner tended to be the main meal, now I eat more at the other two meals, & dinner can be quite small.
Not quite for me, though. Since I retired, I tried to keep the same regimen (three square) I had while working, but I just don't have the drive to cook/buy food. I have lost 14 lbs in the last 8 months, I work harder, and have less time for sitting. Still feel great, though. I don't know if this is a trend, or a change, but whatever it is, it doesn't bother me. Hope I can get down another 40lbs, like I was in college.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,751 posts, read 58,116,312 times
Change diet for retired? - NO
Change diet for age and health / different activity / metabolism? -yes

Should have changed it 50 yrs ago? yes (but I was skinny and lucky and busy)

Not so much changing diet, but instead changing:
portions /
timing of meals /
content... (ugh) less Homemade Ice cream

More veggies, less fruit, smaller portions, less often, less late, more exercise (park a LONG ways from the door when shopping!)

Oh I wish I had a lap pool.

@ High School weight

w-i-d-t-h... considerably tougher. Not likely I will see a 23" waist again unless terribly stricken with illness.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:01 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,977,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
That is why the Europeans hate each other and having been killing each other for thousands of years. It is that late dinner and lack of food during the day that makes them cranky.

You might be onto something there. The Swiss stay neutral because they have chocolate.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:42 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowdweller View Post
Congrats! Working toward a 125 weight goal myself! Ideal for 5'7". You give me hope and motivation!
I think older people need to be careful not to get too thin. We don’t know when we might need to draw on some extra reserves. I’m recovering from a knee replacement right now, and I’m not eating as well as I do when I’m shopping/cooking.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:19 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,283,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think older people need to be careful not to get too thin. We don’t know when we might need to draw on some extra reserves. I’m recovering from a knee replacement right now, and I’m not eating as well as I do when I’m shopping/cooking.
That is what my mom's doctor said. Older people need to have a reserve of fat - not a lot though.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:37 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,652,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think this is so true, my mother was a skeleton when she passed, was just not eating for several years before she passed. She had scoliosis and any extra weight hurt her back but she took it to extremes. Last three weeks she refused any food at all, I think she committed suicide, sort of...

Old 09-13-2018, 08:14 AM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times
Honestly, I'd probably eat out a lot less. I have a 35 minute commute each way. I have a busy life and am on the go a lot. It's hard to cook when you're in 8-5 corporate life.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:08 AM

2,106 posts, read 1,935,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post

Europeans generally only have coffee for breakfast, but they do eat a late dinner. I also eat late.
We have been to different European countries a number of times and see many people eat breakfast. All the B&Bs which we stayed with served huge breakfasts. In our travel, we absolutely loved Irish, British and New Zealand's hearty full breakfasts which usually lasted us until 2 p.m.

I did a quick search on Europerans' breakfasts and could not find any articles stating that they only have coffee for breakfast!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakfast

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a6730126.html

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-ti...fast-in-europe

Old 09-13-2018, 09:13 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,703,254 times
Diet is 95% cause of all illnesses and cures. Be healthy. Educate yourself. Don't rely on conventional medical doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement