Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 08:15 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Which is why, at age 70, I still work a full time job with no plans to quit anytime soon.

I can not walk like I used to... standing a while hurts my back and if I didn't work I am afraid I would just sit on the sofa and die.
If you're working till your in your 80s because you're afraid to die if you don't, I think I'd rather just die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 08:37 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
If you're working till your in your 80s because you're afraid to die if you don't, I think I'd rather just die.
I'm not sure working is necessarily the answer, but I've seen a lot of folks go downhill when they weren't working simply because of a lack of structure in their lives. Some sit on the couch and do nothing. Some get depressed. Others drink or do drugs.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:07 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am convinced that life expectancy is more dependent on genetics than any other factor. We are preprogramed and when its your time to go, its your time to go. All the green smoothies and treadmill time in the universe isn't going to change it.
So it doesn't matter if you weigh 350 pounds, smoke two packs a day, and drink a quart of vodka a day?

You're convinced that you're still going to die on whatever "preprogrammed" date your genetics has determined for you?

LOL

Old 09-20-2018, 09:28 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
So it doesn't matter if you weigh 350 pounds, smoke two packs a day, and drink a quart of vodka a day?

You're convinced that you're still going to die on whatever "preprogrammed" date your genetics has determined for you?

LOL
Good behavior moves the needle in your favor. Bad behavior moves it toward death. It's all about the odds. Even if they seem to be in your favor, you can still come up snake eyes.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:41 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
This reminds me of a guy I knew, ran miles and miles every day, ate healthy, never smoked or drank alcohol, he had zero body fat, his blood pressure was perfect. At 34 he dropped dead of a heart attack. No warning just bam and gone.

Like I said, when your numbers up, it's up.

Now am I going to drink bacon grease and smoke a carton of cigarettes a day? No, but I'm not going to go crazy dwelling over the inevitable either.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:44 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
We moved from living a few years in a town with lots of obituaries for people who had died in their 90s and up, to one with what looks like lower age at death.

However, this is a rural, agricultural area. Accidents and occuational hazards play a role in life span, as well as a seeming flight of medical providers from the area.

For us, the deciding factor was that we did not want to live unhappily to ANY age in our previous location. We saw too many embittered old folks sticking it out there and left while we were still motivated and strong enough to handle another long-distance move with us doing the heavy lifting and transportation.

We have always lived a clean, straight life and intend to continue doing so. What genetics and chance throw at us, we cannot control.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:58 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
We moved from living a few years in a town with lots of obituaries for people who had died in their 90s and up, to one with what looks like lower age at death.

However, this is a rural, agricultural area. Accidents and occuational hazards play a role in life span, as well as a seeming flight of medical providers from the area.

For us, the deciding factor was that we did not want to live unhappily to ANY age in our previous location. We saw too many embittered old folks sticking it out there and left while we were still motivated and strong enough to handle another long-distance move with us doing the heavy lifting and transportation.

We have always lived a clean, straight life and intend to continue doing so. What genetics and chance throw at us, we cannot control.
That's how I see it as well. You can move to Japan which has one of the longest life expectancy in the world and you'll still probably die at the same age you would have in small town Nebraska.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:13 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
I prefer to live my life and not try to figure out when I'll die.

I'm going to die at some point; I'd rather have it be a surprise.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:40 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
That's how I see it as well. You can move to Japan which has one of the longest life expectancy in the world and you'll still probably die at the same age you would have in small town Nebraska.
Right, because you didn't spend your life in Japan, eating the foods they eat, exercising the way they do, breathing the clean air they do, having the same attitudes they do, responding to stress the way they do, etc.

I moved to VT 4+ years ago. I see an awful lot of people in their 80s and 90s still in very good physical shape. They still walk long distances (and much of it uphill), spend time outdoors, some are still biking and hiking. I think a lot has to do with the clean air, the exercise one gets throughout their lives, a lot of outdoor time (lots of skiing, hiking and biking here), and living in a stress-free (no traffic) beautiful place.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:12 PM

149 posts, read 100,549 times
Quote:
I am pretty sure if i don't work until 80's, I could die too.
From those same things mentioned.
I do better working, with structure of having to be somewhere.
At least part time
But that certainly doesn't mean
"I'd rather just die"
That's quite extreme
you likely don't mean that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement