Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 12:58 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,098,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

Flawed assumption.
Guess you can. See into the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 02:36 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
This isn't just about transplants and those who relocated but also the millions of seniors/elderly who have aged in place and in fact are where they were born and perhaps still in the same family home. What would you suggest for those who have lived in a place like New Orleans, own their home and have family there all born and raised there. Should they consider transplanting if the they don't have the resources to plan and execute what we might consider to be a good evacuation plan? I would suspect those folks have even less ability to successfully transplant.

Many places have a waiting list for affordable housing whether it be section 8 or senior. Is it reasonable to give up your affordable residences to go somewhere else and get on a multi year waiting list?
If you don't have any money, you don't have many options. It's that simple.

When Florence hit, the news did several profile pieces of those not leaving. There were a few people just hell bent on riding it out, but many simply didn't have the money. It takes money for gas, hotels, eating out, etc. Sometimes people don't have any good options and have to muddle through the best they can.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:54 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If you don't have any money, you don't have many options. It's that simple.
Exactly. It's an intractable situation. Never mind American retirees in Florida. What happens to people in Bangladesh, battered by floods, monsoons, hurricanes and so forth? What about any other spot around the globe, beset by violence, natural disasters, environmental degradation, or whatever else? if people are not in a position to revise their lives, because they lack resources - well, they're just going to suffer and die.

In all seriousness, the real question - the question about which something can actually be done - is whether financially-comfortable people ought or ought not to chase their dreams, retiring to some remote paradise, and risk a catastrophe with which they can't grapple themselves... or whether they should be more conservative and risk-averse, choosing some place that's less lush, less exciting, less accommodative of hobbies or outdoor adventure or whatever - but where emergency response comes sooner, and disasters are less likely. It's a standard quandary: greed vs. fear in the stock market, for example. Do we feel lucky?

Old 09-27-2018, 03:25 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
You cannot have a proper discussion with people who are not well-read on the changes that have been brought by climate change such as rising sea levels. And are not well-read in general

Nor with people who did not watch CNN and the Weather Channel (or other sources) nor read about nor see pictures during the recent hurricane Florence where flooding was as high as roof tops or very high and massive as one aspect of the hurricane.

And people who are unaware of storm surges that are like tsunamis - in hurricane Sandy for example.

And people who equate a snow storm with the effects of climate change in the form of hurricanes more ferocious than ever.

And people who dwell on small little tremors and how they felt them, or equate a rare earthquake (yes, build sturdy structures) with the problem of rising sea levels and ferociousness of current and recent hurricanes.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-27-2018 at 04:02 PM..

Old 09-27-2018, 03:27 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,098,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
You cannot have a proper discussion with people who are not well-read on the changes that have been brought by climate change such as rising sea levels. And are not well-read in general

Nor with people who did not watch CNN and the Weather Channel nor read about nor see pictures during the recent hurricane Florence where flooding was a high as roof tops or very high as one aspect of the hurricane.

And people who are unaware of storm surges that are like tsunamis - in hurricane Sandy for example.

And people who equate a snow storm with the effects of climate change in the form of hurricanes more ferocious than ever.
I’m counting on those as I sell my beach condo in a couple of years.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:31 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post

I’m counting on those as I sell my beach condo in a couple of years.
LOL LOL ha! funny! good sense of humor :^)

Old 09-27-2018, 06:30 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

Nor with people who did not watch CNN and the Weather Channel (or other sources) nor read about nor see pictures during the recent hurricane Florence where flooding was as high as roof tops or very high and massive as one aspect of the hurricane.

And people who dwell on small little tremors and how they felt them, or equate a rare earthquake (yes, build sturdy structures) with the problem of rising sea levels and ferociousness of current and recent hurricanes.
Didn't South Carolina pass a law against global warming? Problem solved.

Seriously, as long as you are 20 feet above sea level, you should be safe from any hurricane storm surge. Wind damage is a structural problem, and trees toppling are not a problem as long as they are farther from your house than they are tall.

River flooding is a separate issue from hurricanes, but if you live near a river anywhere in the world, it's going to flood eventually. Everybody knew those houses under water to their eaves were in a flood plain.

If you live anywhere on the West Coast, it's going to burn eventually. Plan for it. Look at Oakland, Santa Rosa, or Redding. Whole cities were consumed by fire, and those were just the large ones. Weed burned too, and nobody even remembers that. LA turns to cinders just about every year. Wait until there is an earthquake that breaks all the water mains, blocks all the roads, and fire breaks out.

You would think that people on the East Coast and Gulf would make plans to move inland as sea levels rise. You would think people on the West Coast would build fire resistant houses and clear defensible areas around buildings. <shrug>

Old 09-27-2018, 08:34 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Exactly. It's an intractable situation. Never mind American retirees in Florida. What happens to people in Bangladesh, battered by floods, monsoons, hurricanes and so forth? What about any other spot around the globe, beset by violence, natural disasters, environmental degradation, or whatever else? if people are not in a position to revise their lives, because they lack resources - well, they're just going to suffer and die.

In all seriousness, the real question - the question about which something can actually be done - is whether financially-comfortable people ought or ought not to chase their dreams, retiring to some remote paradise, and risk a catastrophe with which they can't grapple themselves... or whether they should be more conservative and risk-averse, choosing some place that's less lush, less exciting, less accommodative of hobbies or outdoor adventure or whatever - but where emergency response comes sooner, and disasters are less likely. It's a standard quandary: greed vs. fear in the stock market, for example. Do we feel lucky?
I don't think it's an issue of remoteness. NYC is vulnerable to nor'easters and some hurricanes. The Gulf Coast along Louisiana has many emergent issues. Central Ohio and northeast Tennessee are very safe and tame by comparison.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:20 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,351,165 times
The more posts I've read on this thread, the more I'm thinking that PA is not such a bad place to be. I'm in the SE close to Philly and Wilmington, DE section which is rather costly on a limited budget. Moving 50 miles west would be more affordable and still have the hilly areas I love. Something for me to think about. EXCELLENT topic!

Last edited by soulsurv; 09-27-2018 at 11:46 PM..

Old 09-28-2018, 05:20 AM

413 posts, read 301,786 times
The fear of storms is real. I hope this fear has the same effect as the movie Jaws did. I remember as a surfer when that movie came out. The effect was that all the tourists at my beach went home and that was good with me. I love to surf but with the wanna be surfers getting in the way and such. Just like that, the beach was cleared and the local surfers were glad. These comments here are similiar in a way. The fear of storms is real and I am hoping that this will stop the crazy hobby so many Yankees have of moving to Florida. The dream is different in reality. There are enough condos built along the beach storing Norherners like sardines. Greed and fantasy has ruined many good local beaches with condos and crowds. Time to dismantle and restore the beach to its original beauty. Yes the storms may destroy everything within 100 miles of the beach. I have heard many condo buyers who hate condos after living in them for a while. Salt, corrosion, street noise, bad HOA leaders who are greedy and do things that cost the owners. I agree go inland like to Ohio or Kansas or somewhere. Better yet stay in New York, Connecticut, or wherever its better!

Last edited by alan west; 09-28-2018 at 05:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement