Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 04:52 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
You can experience a similar situation with Boomers vs oldsters.
Hmmm...Boomers...I prefer the term "Mid-century modern...."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 05:49 PM

703 posts, read 612,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
You can experience a similar situation with Boomers vs oldsters.
I don't want to petty fog the use of terms but wouldn't "Oldsters" be the "Boomers"? The pre-Boomer Oldsters i.e the WWII'ers, Ward Cleavers et al are pretty much gone now. Just a few superannuated 90+ types.

The big Push-Come-Shove future wars might be between leading edge Boomers and their Ebbing Wave
co-horts sometimes referred to as Generation Jones. But that has yet to become clear.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:51 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The issue is hardly exclusive to communities with HOAs. Exactly the same ting can happen when more affluent people move en mass into a less affluent town; it's just that taxes go up to support whatever improved community features the newcomers want, instead of HOA fees. Either way, the less affluent get gradually (or not so gradually) pushed out because they can no longer afford to live there.
Yes, that's what happened (and is still happening) in Napa Valley.

I have to say I read that whole article this morning and felt badly for the people who moved there because it was a place they could afford. Frankly, I'm appalled at the attitudes of some of the pro-pickleball mob, suggesting that those on limited incomes should go get jobs or "it's only a little more money" or whatever. Usually I defend affluent folk on issues but on this one I think they're tone deaf. If they have so much money why don't they build their own pickleball courts and leave their neighbors out of it?

Last edited by fluffythewondercat; 10-04-2018 at 06:23 PM..

Old 10-04-2018, 06:26 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,934 times
It could be worse. They could be going for a new marina, which is happening up where I am. Lots of levels of govt. are involved, and due to a change in the societies Act just last year, you can actually have Board meetings in Zimbadwe if you want to, which effectively means a good net scammer can pull all kinds of stuff, with our money, your land, and leave you holding the bill.

Unfortunately, it's about the only "vehicle" today to address rental demand, care of the elderly, and lots of other over 55 issues.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:34 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
I don't want to petty fog the use of terms but wouldn't "Oldsters" be the "Boomers"? The pre-Boomer Oldsters i.e the WWII'ers, Ward Cleavers et al are pretty much gone now. Just a few superannuated 90+ types.
No, the Greatest Generation may be on their last legs, but the Silent Generation is very much alive and kicking. Why does everyone forget the Silents?

Old 10-04-2018, 08:19 PM

151 posts, read 107,596 times
Quote:
No, the Greatest Generation may be on their last legs, but the Silent Generation is very much alive and kicking. Why does everyone forget the Silents?
They should really speak up.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:50 PM

1,155 posts, read 962,519 times
Quote:
Right. The eldest of the Boomers were born in 1946, making them 72, so not exactly Methusalah. There is still at least one previous generation standing between the Boomers and the Grim Reaper (the Silents), and actually even the aged remnants of a generation prior to the Silents (the Greatest).

The youngest of the Boomers will turn 54 this year, mostly still toiling away, with full retirement age still 13 years in the future.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:11 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
The issue is hardly exclusive to communities with HOAs. Exactly the same ting can happen when more affluent people move en mass into a less affluent town; it's just that taxes go up to support whatever improved community features the newcomers want, instead of HOA fees. Either way, the less affluent get gradually (or not so gradually) pushed out because they can no longer afford to live there.
There is a huge difference. Sure taxes may go up eventually but they usually will go up anyway very gradually and not at the whim of a few of your neighbors. People can't just demand and make improvements in a town or city. There are city codes and city counsels and a ton bureaucracy.
If a bunch of wealthy people move into a community and demand a park, it sometimes takes years for it to happen. If a bunch of wealthy people move into my neighborhood and start making improvement to their own homes, it helps appreciate the value of my home as well.
HOA fees IMO have become absurdly expensive in many places eating up a large portion of your house payment and they increase at the whim of a few people. If you can afford it and don't care great, otherwise moving into such a community isn't such a great idea.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:41 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,937 times
If you have good eyes, scroll down below the subscription pitch and you can read the article through its opaque covering.

What a reprehensible bunch of creeps with more money than they know what to do with.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:48 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
If you have good eyes, scroll down below the subscription pitch and you can read the article through its opaque covering.

What a reprehensible bunch of creeps with more money than they know what to do with.
Nope...it said "subcribe" or "sign in" and when I scrolled past, it just had links to a bunch of other stories. It might depend on how many "free" articles you've read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement