Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 12:28 PM

1,042 posts, read 874,512 times

Advertisements

For most of my life I had been pretty lucky with my teeth. For 6 years I have been on Femara to help in keeping breast cancer from returning to other areas in my body [ I have no breasts-though I like my reconstructed 'mounds", don't even have to wear a bra! If the breast cancer were to return it would be in other ares of my body] One of the side effects of the drug is that it gives you osteoporosis. To combat that, I get a shot of Prolia every 6 months.

The Prolia has been good at slowing bone loss, however, one side effect it sometime has, is that, while strengthening the other bones, it can destroy jawbones and teeth. Well, I thank God every day for my life, and I am not going to stop with either drug.

My dentist has told me that eventually I will need dentures. He told me about the advantages and disadvantages as to whether to wait or not. He said it is entirely up to me whether it is "sooner" or "later".

So far, I have only lost teeth in the back of my mouth, both upper and lower. I have all of my front teeth, though they are all "spreading" some and leaving little gaps.[if the gums and bone were healthy they would be shifting much less]

So, I have a choice. The doctor has told me that getting dentures in the near future might accelerate the process of jawbone loss and might not since it is alrady happening.

For those of you familiar with dentures [and I am NOT a candidate for implants] I would like some input as to whether or not I should wait. Though teeth are sensitive, I am not in huge pain and have very little difficulty eating. Please advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 12:46 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
I would delay getting dentures for as long as possible. My sister had terrible teeth, never took care of them and ended up with dentures in her 40's - she couldn't wait to get them! Despite having quite a bit of pain she still regrets it. It was VERY painful getting all the extractions and dentures (without implants to help anchor them) are NEVER as good as your own teeth. I'm surprised your dentist isn't telling you that. Ask him if there is ANY downside to delaying - maybe there is something specific to do with your medical condition. Otherwise, since you're not in pain - wait.

Also, dentures don't last forever - they'll need to be replaced at some point - not a one and done.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:18 PM

106,678 posts, read 108,856,202 times
dentures work for some jaws .the tops is usually no problem to live with. for some the bottoms can be miserable .

i had to implant the bottom , a denture would not stay put no how

Old 10-25-2018, 03:00 PM

1,042 posts, read 874,512 times
Thank you. I think I will wait a while since I can always get them, but I can't 'unget" them. I hope that made sense.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:26 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Vicky - I think you will know when it is time. When the front teeth start failing to the point that they cannot be "fixed" anymore, you will have to face the decision. I just had the 4 front teeth on top pulled (wasn't that bad at all), and I have been missing the 2 upper molars on each side for years now. The dentist made me a temporary removable "flipper" to fill the space in front until the bone and gums heal. I have to wait 3 months before they take xrays to determine if I have enough bone for implants. If not, I will get a removable denture that will have openings for the 3 teeth I still have on either side. Meanwhile, the temporary flipper gives me the best smile I have had since I was very young. Beautiful teeth, even if they are plastic.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:15 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
Don't rush. My partial dentures have greatly changed my diet.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:21 PM

363 posts, read 350,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
My partial dentures have greatly changed my diet.
changed how? for better or worse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

I had to implant the bottom , a denture would not stay put

How do you like that lower? why did you not implant the bottom from the beginning?

Old 10-25-2018, 08:22 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
"I would like some input as to whether or not I should wait.'

wait.
and wait just a little longer than that.
who knows what medical miracle awaits?

Old 10-25-2018, 08:26 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
Nothing is as good as your original teeth.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:15 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,081,103 times
Following my hysterectomy which I had to have after being diagnosed with endometrial cancer and I was pre menopausal at that time, with this being a hormone driven cancer I could not take hormones after my surgery and as a result I developed very rapid dental bone and gum loss. In an attempt to prevent futher loss I had laser periodontal surgery which did help, but so much loss had already taken place to my two front lower incisor teeth they just became looser and looser as the years progressed. About 6 months ago I had to finally make a choice to either attempt implants of those two teeth or my dentist would apply what is called a periodontal splint which is basically a wire covered with a composite that bridges the loose two teeth to the non loose teeth on either side. I opted for the splint and thus far it has worked very well for me. I certainly won't eat sweet corn off the cob or candy apples so not threaten the integrity of the splint, but otherwise I can pretty much eat everything else without a problem. My insurance would not pick up any of the cost of this procedure as it is considered cosmetic, so I had to pay out-of-pocket $500 which I thought a reasonable price to pay to save these teeth. If you go on youtube and search periodontal splint several videos will come up that show this procedure. Not sure if you would be a candidate for this procedure, but you should certainly ask your dentist about it because it may help you save your teeth or at least delay your need for dentures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement