Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 02:53 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,148 times

Advertisements

I made it to 70 before I needed partials and it's just a matter of time before the front teeth are no longer able to be repaired.

My mouth is small so I can't wear the bottom plate -- thankfully the missing back/side teeth are barely noticeable.

I don't like the top plate either --- the only good thing about it is that I look presentable. I have the gag factor, the dental tech filed the roof of the plate down as much as possible but it still bothers me. I am never without a bottle of water.

Also, my partials are made of FLEXIBLE material. They cost a little more but they are well worth the extra money to not have something more rigid in my mouth; I can't imagine anything worse, lollolb

I rarely eat out as I feel like I can't "taste" the food --- I can but it's not as pleasant of an eating experience as it should be. I generally eat a little at the restaurant and bring the rest home.

I agree to put dentures off as long as you can
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 05:24 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I would not take a drug that destroyed my jaw and made my teeth fall out, just because maybe, possibly, your cancer might come back. I am a breast cancer survivor too, and after the first 5 years I have not taken any other drugs.

I have started taking Fosimax for my bones, but if I had any indication of the side effects you describe, I’d take my chances without it.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:12 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times
Vicky:

I lost most of my teeth due to meds i take, too.it was heart wrenching to loose my two upper front teeth. But i had no choice.

I havec7 teeth left on the bottom front left. I have an upper partial (need to get new upper full denture) and a lower partial fir all my back lower teeth.

Go get yourself partials, so you can see how it is.

Then decide when and how you want to get full dentures.

Youll be used to them by then.

But, as someone posted, its changed how i eat and what I eat. I cannot bite into an apple, no matter what the fixodent commercial says!!!! They come loose!.

Best of luck to you...its not fun, but youll adjust.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:50 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
I made it to 70 before I needed partials and it's just a matter of time before the front teeth are no longer able to be repaired.

My mouth is small so I can't wear the bottom plate -- thankfully the missing back/side teeth are barely noticeable.

I don't like the top plate either --- the only good thing about it is that I look presentable. I have the gag factor, the dental tech filed the roof of the plate down as much as possible but it still bothers me. I am never without a bottle of water.

Also, my partials are made of FLEXIBLE material. They cost a little more but they are well worth the extra money to not have something more rigid in my mouth; I can't imagine anything worse, lollolb

I rarely eat out as I feel like I can't "taste" the food --- I can but it's not as pleasant of an eating experience as it should be. I generally eat a little at the restaurant and bring the rest home.

I agree to put dentures off as long as you can
Thanks for all the input! I have a genetic condition that kills teeth no matter what you do to save them. Unfortunately I never knew about it until a few years ago.

I took care of my teeth all of my life; starting at age 10 when I 1st saw a dentist. I've had my molars pulled when the large cavities failed, I had too many teeth in my mouth anyway, it didn't matter. I tried saving the next back teeth with caps but those fall off too; especially when you have no dental insurance! Which I've been without for 5 years. I finally have some, I'm not sure if partials or bridges are an option for me; I'm deathly afraid of needing top dentures due to my dad having some. He said eating is the pits because the pallet is covered; you can't taste food.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:08 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
For most of my life I had been pretty lucky with my teeth. For 6 years I have been on Femara to help in keeping breast cancer from returning to other areas in my body [ I have no breasts-though I like my reconstructed 'mounds", don't even have to wear a bra! If the breast cancer were to return it would be in other ares of my body] One of the side effects of the drug is that it gives you osteoporosis. To combat that, I get a shot of Prolia every 6 months.

The Prolia has been good at slowing bone loss, however, one side effect it sometime has, is that, while strengthening the other bones, it can destroy jawbones and teeth. Well, I thank God every day for my life, and I am not going to stop with either drug.

My dentist has told me that eventually I will need dentures. He told me about the advantages and disadvantages as to whether to wait or not. He said it is entirely up to me whether it is "sooner" or "later".

So far, I have only lost teeth in the back of my mouth, both upper and lower. I have all of my front teeth, though they are all "spreading" some and leaving little gaps.[if the gums and bone were healthy they would be shifting much less]

So, I have a choice. The doctor has told me that getting dentures in the near future might accelerate the process of jawbone loss and might not since it is alrady happening.

For those of you familiar with dentures [and I am NOT a candidate for implants] I would like some input as to whether or not I should wait. Though teeth are sensitive, I am not in huge pain and have very little difficulty eating. Please advise.
Have you talked about this with your doctor? I just googled this and it appears that both Femara and Prolia can cause osteonecrosis of the jaw. I'm wondering if maybe you should get another opinion on taking those drugs, perhaps there are other options?

Old 10-26-2018, 08:13 AM

143 posts, read 150,554 times
Default Full Dentures

I have had full dentures now for 12-14 years and after so many problems with teeth and gums all my adult life, it is a relief. I eat pretty much what I want, taste it, enjoy it but yes I can't bite into an apple. If you need to get full dentures, you will adjust! I think of people who have other artificial body parts and am grateful to just have to deal with dentures.

No doubt, the first couple weeks were rough, realizing I had no teeth and this was it for the rest of my life.
But I adjusted! Like we do with most things we have to. It helps that my husband has them too, not that I am glad he does but we both joke about it and go on. No hard kissing is our biggest joke!

I have had the same set all this time but I know the time is near for new ones. Not worried at all! Just wanted to ease your mind with my experience! I use powder on the top and the denture glue on the bottom. No biggie, and life goes on!

Old 10-26-2018, 09:24 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Depending on bone structure of "the ridge" (upper and lower) you're left with, dentures work much better for some than for others. I'm not sure if your dentist can determine how good a candidate you'll be before actually doing the extractions, but it's worth asking his opinion.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:41 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,081,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I would not take a drug that destroyed my jaw and made my teeth fall out, just because maybe, possibly, your cancer might come back. I am a breast cancer survivor too, and after the first 5 years I have not taken any other drugs.

I have started taking Fosimax for my bones, but if I had any indication of the side effects you describe, I’d take my chances without it.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Fosamax can also cause issues with jawbones. The info below was take from the Mayo Clinic web site.

Mayo Clinic
Bisphosphonates — such as alendronate (Fosamax, Binosto), risedronate (Actonel, Atelvia), ibandronate (Boniva) and zoledronic acid (Reclast, Zometa) — and denosumab (Prolia, Xgeva) have been linked to osteonecrosis of the jaw and atypical femoral fractures. The risk appears to increase with the length of time the drugs are taken.In addition to treating osteoporosis, bisphosphonates and denosumab are also used to treat cancer that has spread to the bone. The risk of osteonecrosis of the jaw is much greater for people taking higher doses of these drugs to treat cancer than it is for people who are simply treating osteoporosis.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:33 AM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
I have full dentures but usually only wear the top. I should wear both but the bottom hurts.

With me, of all the medication I was taking after the car accident eroded my teeth. It was a hard decision to make as the dentist said I could go a few years with my few survivors but I had the money from the settlement and decided to have the few left pulled and get the dentures.

I knew I wouldn't get any help from Medicare further down the line and I also figured the remaining teeth would hurt later on. They were already sensitive to hot and cold.

I do miss having teeth and rarely eat out as they don't stay in well while eating. I just feel more comfortable eating at home where I don't care if they fall out.

I guess I would do the same thing I did. I think I would have always been aware they could go anytime and I didn't want to wait around for that to happen. It has changed my eating. I don't have the bite I used to, but that's okay. I eat softer foods, certainly would never try a steak or anything like that. I never was a big meat eater anyway.

For me, it is a relief that I don't have to worry about it. It was money well spent for peace of mind. But I do miss my teeth.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:30 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Fosamax can also cause issues with jawbones. The info below was take from the Mayo Clinic web site.

Mayo Clinic
Bisphosphonates — such as alendronate (Fosamax, Binosto), risedronate (Actonel, Atelvia), ibandronate (Boniva) and zoledronic acid (Reclast, Zometa) — and denosumab (Prolia, Xgeva) have been linked to osteonecrosis of the jaw and atypical femoral fractures. The risk appears to increase with the length of time the drugs are taken.In addition to treating osteoporosis, bisphosphonates and denosumab are also used to treat cancer that has spread to the bone. The risk of osteonecrosis of the jaw is much greater for people taking higher doses of these drugs to treat cancer than it is for people who are simply treating osteoporosis.
Yes, I am aware, but they are rare. I would drop it like a hot potato if I had any symptoms whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement