Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For those who are certain they are going to work in retirement -OR- are working. Why? How often? Che
For the $$ 21 32.31%
For the benefits 5 7.69%
Because I love my current job 6 9.23%
It's a hobby I enjoy AND I earn $$ too!! 10 15.38%
I want to, or have, started working a different line of work or new business owner 9 13.85%
I will stop working but do a small side gig 15 23.08%
I don't believe in the concept of retirement while still able bodied 7 10.77%
I cannot imagine not working 10 15.38%
I do not like being at home with my family and or spouse all the time 4 6.15%
Spouse wants me to keep working 5 7.69%
Job involves travel or residing somewhere else aJob keeps me in good physical shape while earning $ 1 1.54%
I will likely or do, work 10 hrs or less a week 3 4.62%
I will likely or do, work 11-16 hrs or less a week 9 13.85%
I will likely or do, work 16-20 hrs or less a week 10 15.38%
I will likely or do, work 21-25 hrs or less a week 7 10.77%
I will likely or do, work 26-30 hrs or less a week 1 1.54%
I will likely or do, work 30-35 hrs or less a week 2 3.08%
I will likely or do, work 36-40 hrs or less a week 3 4.62%
I am poor living in a less than desirable enviornment. The work enviornment is more appealing 0 0%
I will continue working because I really have no life 3 4.62%
Other 11 16.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 08:16 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I did everything late. Got married and started a family late, waited too long to buy a house, went back to school in my 40s and accumulated large student loans.

I'm going to be paying for mortgages on two houses into my 80s. My wife makes barely any money from her crap job teaching ESL. So I have to work until I drop!

So sell one house and pay off the other one to live in. Why do you have 2 houses? Seems like an extra expense you don't need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 05:14 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJollaEast View Post
The most interesting thing about responses to this question is the variety of answers. Retirement is not the same today as it was for many of our parents and grandparents. It is not a one size fits all for everyone. I hope everyone gets to have the retirement they want whether they continue to work at some capacity or stop all together.
Yes, it's now much easier to do "retirement" the way you like.

Some become full time nomads: https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.4e39287f6613

In my parent's generation I remember that few retirees worked. Many of them had pensions from long held corporate or government jobs. However, due to smoking, few lived into their eighties.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:29 AM

605 posts, read 335,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
I can't retire. I have to work. Bush's Recession killed me financially. Maybe if I get caught up, I could move somewhere in the world where the cost of living isn't as high. I'd work more hours if I could. Started my own business because I couldn't get work in my last career field. Scraping by.

The economy has improved for my last professional field, and I might be able to get work in it now, but I don't think I want to go back to a 40 hour week. I'd have to give up my business, and that business is founded on my dogs. My dogs wouldn't have enough to do, and they'd get neurotic (working dogs need work). I don't think I even want to go there.
Are they Dogs of the night?

just kidding

Old 11-14-2018, 06:19 PM

So far, about 1 out of 3 who responded will be working beyond retirement.

And 1 out of three of those, will be working for not just the $$ but the benefits also.

Interesting poll. I learned I am not doing so well.

I am one out of the three who will be working for benefits and $$ in retirement.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:11 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
So far, about 1 out of 3 who responded will be working beyond retirement.

And 1 out of three of those, will be working for not just the $$ but the benefits also.

Interesting poll. I learned I am not doing so well.

I am one out of the three who will be working for benefits and $$ in retirement.
I saw a woman who works at my local supermarket out wearing scrubs. Turns out her full-time job is in a doctor's office, but she works the grocery store 12 hours a week because they have better benefits. She hopes to retire from the doctor's office but will likely keep the supermarket job.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
We are self-employed at a home business that runs itself. We didn’t plan this venture; it just happened. It doesn’t require much time and little in the way of capitol improvements or outlay for supplies. We have been retired 10+ years and have had the business about 8 years. It began with just one or two customers and some days now, we have to have limits. It shows that you never know what will happen in any stage of your life. You may have plans and voila, they change or an option appears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Yes, it's now much easier to do "retirement" the way you like.

In my parent's generation I remember that few retirees worked. Many of them had pensions from long held corporate or government jobs. However, due to smoking, few lived into their eighties.
I knew of FEW in my parent's generation who ever 'retired' (they were self employed and / or farmers)

Most lived to ~80 - 84.

Only (2) had the luxury of passing a viable business to kids / family.

Most went through bankruptcies at least once. All skimped meals to cover payroll. (their entire life)

Today's retirees / programs / and options for work (?) in retirement seem a lot more cush.

Situations vary,

Yesterday's retirees were not spending 50% of their income on HC.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I saw a woman who works at my local supermarket out wearing scrubs. Turns out her full-time job is in a doctor's office, but she works the grocery store 12 hours a week because they have better benefits. She hopes to retire from the doctor's office but will likely keep the supermarket job.
Wow, she'll never get fat lol. Benefits for 12 hrs a week, that's wonderful She sounds like a hard worker

Old 11-16-2018, 03:30 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,300,819 times
I hoping to be able to work part time when I retire, but ideally I'd rather work somewhere that offers better health care options than medicare. However, to get benefits at most places, you need to work full time and I know I don't want to do that.

I am planning on relocating to the PNW to be near at least one relative, and I'd also like to do something not related to my current employment, but I'm not certain I can do that. I'd like to live in a community that is 55+, if for no other reason than that people would get the cultural references I use from the 60's 70's on up. However, I'm sure that if I do that, most of the jobs hiring people in their late 60's will be snapped up by people already living in the area (Sequim is a good example).

I may be able to do consulting in my current field, but I don't have an impressive resume, having worked at the same place for the last 20+ years and my educational level does not go beyond a BA.

Many people in the PNW are well educated, so who knows if i can find any work at all. It is a source of stress, especially since I've got less than 400k in my 401k plan and that needs to cover the two of us.

On the other hand, I have a chronic illness, as does my wife, so maybe this is all moot.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:52 PM

I'd like to know where you can work for 12+ hrs per week as MightyQueen posted.

My job with a vendor of the state will likely only last as long as the client I spend midnight-6am with is alive. And it's the time I finally get to sleep in a 40+ hr shift.

Just curious, if mightyqueen wants/can disclose the info. Thanks

Old 11-17-2018, 01:06 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
I can't retire. I have to work. Bush's Recession killed me financially. Maybe if I get caught up, I could move somewhere in the world where the cost of living isn't as high. I'd work more hours if I could. Started my own business because I couldn't get work in my last career field. Scraping by.

The economy has improved for my last professional field, and I might be able to get work in it now, but I don't think I want to go back to a 40 hour week. I'd have to give up my business, and that business is founded on my dogs. My dogs wouldn't have enough to do, and they'd get neurotic (working dogs need work). I don't think I even want to go there.
Curious as to what kind of dog business you have. Would you care to share?

I work 3 days a week delivering flowers for a local florist. I have done this off and on for 6 years even before retiring from my profession of 30 years. It pays good money which I need and gets me out doing physical work to keep me strong and flexible. I love it and I take any extra days offered for holidays and special events. Happy as a clam!

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 11-17-2018 at 01:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement