Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 10:40 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times

Advertisements

Based on the information shared I would not touch the 401(k) balance. This is assuming: 1) there are no other substantial balance savings to be a safety net, and; 2) no reason their monthly living costs would need to exceed the combined totals of their pensions and the wife's SS benefit.

Either assumption might be invalid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 10:52 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4khansen View Post
to answer the one question our pensions are 100% survivor for both of us, and actually the surviving spouse gets a pension increase of about $200 more a month. As the surviving spouse doesn't have a survivor any more then that pension actually increases a little. We both have what is called a "pop-up" pension upon the spouse's demise.

In other words, the pension total goes UP when one of us passes on. From $6,500 a month to $6,700 a month. I guess that is what is meant by "better off dead"?

Sorry I sound like I'm bragging, just wanted to know what people might do? Take the 401K or take Social Security or now whether to not do either???

I believe my social security at 64 before taxes and medicare premium costs would be about 2,000 a month, at 70 about $3,000 a month.
Do you need to take one or the other? Are you able to live on the pension and wife's SS alone? If not, I say let your SS grow AND leave the 401k money alone. Though I too would definitely roll it to my own low-cost IRA, then invest it conservatively. You may need it down the road for medical costs.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:04 AM

997 posts, read 850,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
no , it was a legitimate question . The bragging accusation is nonsense and is a typical response by some here that is unwarranted in many discussions here. This is a legitimate question the op has .
👍👍👍👍👍

Old 12-05-2018, 11:08 AM

997 posts, read 850,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
You need to take a break ant not hog the forum.
Keep hogging Mathjack! I love reading your reply’s to peoples questions. I’ve got a few years till I collect, but hope by then I won’t need anymore of your advice.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:27 AM

421 posts, read 391,025 times
We are moving to Arizona to a 55+ community within the next 10 months, too. But, I don't think the costs will be much different than we are now experiencing so that is a moot point.

I appreciate all the responses, I think I may try to wait on the social security until as close to 70 as I can. We can always use a little of our 401K or other funds sporadically and not monthly until then if needed. Otherwise, leave them alone. Our expenses are minimal for the most part. Expenses we will save going to AZ will be otherwise spent on regular desert landscaping maintenance, the 55+ HOA and possibly hiring a housekeeper for the first time and our WATER bills! :-). But the savings on property insurance and property taxes and auto expenses will offset quite a bit of that.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:29 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,188 times
As someone said earlier if you can live off the pension and wife SS then don’t touch the 401k and wait on SS.

The only real question I see if you are asking that you need to take your SS early or tap into 401k to live and hold off on SS. If that’s the case you can calculate how long it would take you to catch up on not taking SS early. In my case it would take 22 years.

Last edited by Beach Sportsfan; 12-05-2018 at 12:51 PM..

Old 12-05-2018, 12:56 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,067,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4khansen View Post
We are moving to Arizona to a 55+ community within the next 10 months, too. But, I don't think the costs will be much different than we are now experiencing so that is a moot point.

I appreciate all the responses, I think I may try to wait on the social security until as close to 70 as I can. We can always use a little of our 401K or other funds sporadically and not monthly until then if needed. Otherwise, leave them alone. Our expenses are minimal for the most part. Expenses we will save going to AZ will be otherwise spent on regular desert landscaping maintenance, the 55+ HOA and possibly hiring a housekeeper for the first time and our WATER bills! :-). But the savings on property insurance and property taxes and auto expenses will offset quite a bit of that.
Put me down as a supporter of "this". Your social security benefit increases about 8% per year as long as you defer collecting from it. Unless you can beat this rate of return on your 401k, I'd spend down the 401k dollars before taking SS earlier than age 70. Minimizing the 401k withdrawals is icing on the cake. Obviously, it depends on your collective health, genetic crap shoot, heirs, desire to leave something for charity, etc., so it is pretty complicated. Keep your water bills low by showering together, it may keep your marriage solid as well, LOL.

Bottom line, there is a guy named "Laurence Kotlikoff" who is probably the pre-eminent authority for advice on when to take social security, and he has a very reasonably-priced calculator available. Do some research on his columns, I believe most are on PBS. And no, you are definitely not "bragging" you have been both industrious and fortunate, and you are simply looking after what you have worked so hard for - congratulations!
https://maximizemysocialsecurity.com/

Old 12-05-2018, 01:05 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Put me down as a supporter of "this". Your social security benefit increases about 8% per year as long as you defer collecting from it. Unless you can beat this rate of return on your 401k, I'd spend down the 401k dollars before taking SS earlier than age 70. Minimizing the 401k withdrawals is icing on the cake. Obviously, it depends on your collective health, genetic crap shoot, heirs, desire to leave something for charity, etc., so it is pretty complicated. Keep your water bills low by showering together, it may keep your marriage solid as well, LOL.

Bottom line, there is a guy named "Laurence Kotlikoff" who is probably the pre-eminent authority for advice on when to take social security, and he has a very reasonably-priced calculator available. Do some research on his columns, I believe most are on PBS. And no, you are definitely not "bragging" you have been both industrious and fortunate, and you are simply looking after what you have worked so hard for - congratulations!
https://maximizemysocialsecurity.com/
You are correct that any investment would be hard to beat the SS increases in waiting but you also have to consider as you stated health and longevity since the 401k would pass on to family members while SS dies with you or if married spouse whoever lives longest. At the end one depends on market the other on longevity.

Would you rather have more early in retirement while you may enjoy it more or later when you may not.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:31 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,429 times
I would just leave it, and see how life unfolds. The amount isn't huge that RMD's will be significant. Take a year of budget inventory and re-assess whether you have met all your needs and wants.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:34 PM

77 posts, read 53,909 times
try this
https://opensocialsecurity.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement