Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 02:26 PM

16,093 posts, read 10,762,339 times

Advertisements

I'm snowbound so I'm all over C-D today.
What, if any, New Year's traditions or superstitions do you observe?
I put pennies outside before midnight and bring them in after the new year as a prosperity good luck token. I used to eat pickled herring for luck but got out of the habit since no one else would touch the stuff. There was also a tradition in my wife's family that a dark-haired man had to be the first to come through the front door after midnight to bring good luck...any other person was bad luck. I got sent outside before midnight (maybe they were trying to get rid of me?) I wonder about the practice of making noise at midnight. As a kid, we used to bang pots at midnight and some people used firecrackers. Where I live now it is mostly gunfire or fireworks. I guess we are driving evil spirits away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 02:36 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
When I worked my New Years eve tradition was arresting drunk drivers. Now retired my tradition is to stay up until 10pm sometimes even 1030.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:43 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,118,464 times
On New Years Eve we walk to the lake at the end of my street, announce our resolutions, put on a recording of Auld Lang Syne, and dance in the gazebo overlooking the lake.

On New Years Day we go to York River State Park, which has a long bridge spanning two sections of the park. We dance from one end of the bridge to the other to symbolize "dancing into the new year".

We used to play mini golf on New Year's Day, but there isn't a place near here where we can do that anymore. So I guess the two dance traditions will have to do.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:27 PM

16,093 posts, read 10,762,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
On New Years Eve we walk to the lake at the end of my street, announce our resolutions, put on a recording of Auld Lang Syne, and dance in the gazebo overlooking the lake.

On New Years Day we go to York River State Park, which has a long bridge spanning two sections of the park. We dance from one end of the bridge to the other to symbolize "dancing into the new year".

We used to play mini golf on New Year's Day, but there isn't a place near here where we can do that anymore. So I guess the two dance traditions will have to do.
Now I have an image of you dancing across the bridge.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:55 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,118,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Now I have an image of you dancing across the bridge.

We did a tango. With a few spins and bending over backwards. If you're going to tango in the new year, might as well have some fun with it!

Old 01-01-2019, 06:16 PM

696 posts, read 704,247 times
My husband and I go running. We first head toward the sunrise and later turn to go home.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:24 PM

1,205 posts, read 936,189 times
I share a house with a retired musician. He brings in the new year by practicing on one of his drum sets from around 11 to a little after midnight. For years, I spent NYE with relatives. Now I’m usually at home, and for several years, have listened on the internet to a favorite radio show on NYE, hot jazz with Rob Bamburger. The radio station changed formats and dropped the show this year, but happily another station put on the show just for last night. I listen until about 11:50, then bundle up and sit outside for a few minutes, until midnight comes and goes.

Last night was a particularly magical night to be outside. It was very quiet, and Lake Michigan has not yet frozen, so I could hear the waves breaking, and the trees rustling in the slight wind. A fresh snow had fallen, and my porch light let me see the outlines of the dark trees surrounding the house and the new snow on the ground. A slight fall of dry snow continued, and glittered in the porch light.

Happy 2019!

Old 01-01-2019, 08:06 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,945,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
When I worked my New Years eve tradition was arresting drunk drivers. Now retired my tradition is to stay up until 10pm sometimes even 1030.
Same here, but I can still make it to midnight (barely).

Old 01-01-2019, 08:12 PM

308 posts, read 212,902 times
I make a gigantic pot of cuban-style lentils...with chorizo,ground red and green bell peppers.onion.garlic.potatoes,carrots,cooking ham and a hock thrown in for extra flavoring.
I start chopping the ingredients around 9:30 pm,start the actual cooking and simmering around 10pm ,and its ready to eat as the first meal of the new year at midnight.
It's supposed to bring good luck for the following year. I only started this 2 years ago...so far it hasn't
really worked...but I bring it for lunch at work for the next 4-5 days,at the amusement of my co-workers.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:26 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriact View Post
My husband and I go running. We first head toward the sunrise and later turn to go home.
I always go running on New Year's Eve. One year, a woman and I ran a three-mile long trail in a park. We passed several other groups of runners going the opposite direction. It was dark of course and if they noticed we were naked, they didn't say anything. By the way, that was not the year it was 15 degrees F at midnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement