Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 03:43 PM

26,658 posts, read 28,718,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I was remembering defrosting the small freezer in the refrigerator... Not a pleasant memory, especially if I waited too long. So nice to have autodefrost now.
Not fun. I remember I had just started working and had my first apartment. Defrost the fridge--took nearly all day Saturday to take everything out of the freezer and put it into ice chests, let the thing drain and make a mess of water all over the place. Then dry it off and put all the food back in. Wear old clothes because you were going to be a wet mess anyway.

The other horrid thing back then that could steal your weekend was washing and waxing the kitchen floor. I don't know how people did it! You first had to use some smelly product to remove the old wax, then you had to apply a brand new layer of wax. Probably had to get down on your hands and knees. I remember I did it once and I said before I ever did THAT again, I would just move. And that's what I did.

Oh--the grocery stores closed at about 5pm and they were closed on Sunday too. The only time I could shop for food was Saturday or sneak out of work early. Banks---don't get me started! Closed at 3pm and only open Saturday mornings otherwise for people who worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 04:40 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,611,788 times
When we traveled, we bought souvenier pennants. Made of felt. with the name of the city printed on. Even really small towns, a thousand or two, there would be a stock of them, from 19 cents for small, up to 1.29. No convenience stores around 1950, dad had to park downtown an go in a dime store or drug store to buy one. I had them from towns in MI, KY, SD, KS and places between. I had a pen-pal in Sweden who sent me one from Hallstahammar, so I guess they a world-wide thing..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement