Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 06:32 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm way way too old to still think I am invinceable, but the 20 yr old psyche living in this 71 yr old body is having a hard time being convinced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 08:20 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I've always had a self-imagined age of about 33 but that was only in my head. My tail was dragging for the last few years because of my bad hip, a bad statin reaction, and my share of other issues but I had my hip replaced in August and stopped statins a couple years ago and I'm regaining my strength. I was recently sitting with my friends at our local pub and listening to all their complaints about aches and pains and I realized that I was essentially pain free for the first time in years. I'm the oldest of the group, just turned 70. That made me realize that I'm doing better than I thought...just a little. I took a vacation in December and just did what I felt like doing and later checked my step counter and realized I walked 20 miles over a few days time. I was very surprised -- I haven't done that in decades.

You give this 65 year old hope. All I want this year is to be stronger and pain-free.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:17 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile Trying to get stronger, fitter

2019 - got my husband a Christmas present and for me. We now have a personal trainer twice a week and have changed our diets.

Definitely a lifestyle change - not seeing the majic improvements I want to see yet but at least I can walk 4 miles a day.

There are some days I actually look forward to it.

But, it's a year long commitment and it will be slow going.

When I read posts in this thread, it makes me want to continue on b/c I need to still work but I want to be healthy when I do retire and enjoy those years and have some social time.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:52 PM

231 posts, read 239,798 times
^ You go, Bette!

Best investment you'll ever make! And don't waste time on hoping for "magic" improvements. Just give yourself a great pat on the back for the real ones. Seriously, being able to walk four miles in a day when you couldn't do that before, that's a REAL improvement. Bravo.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:04 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,241,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Coming up on seventy four this summer. Really feeling the age this year, lack of energy, lack of political give a damn, lethargic mornings turning into slow-mo afternoons, the family youth tuning us out, thinking more about the past with little desire to contemplate a long future. All expected of course, it's aging and nothing more..Like the poster above, I'm OK with being old..
The young adults tuning you out really sticks out to me. Nothing says irrelevant more than that, and I get it all the time now. At 57. Cant wait till I’m 70 and the 50 year olds tune me out.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:03 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,219,603 times
There are three stages: Young, Old, and "You look good".

Old 01-12-2019, 09:44 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I know the saying that getting old is better than the alternative, but I am not so sure of that at least in my case.
Hope most of you can age more gracefully and comfortably than I am.
I think "the alternative" is way better when things get too bad. Whoever made up that saying was just a Pollyanna.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:23 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
I hate growing old and resist it as much as possible. My brain clearly recalls my youthful physical ability and the body refuses to perform as it once did. It disgusts and infuriates me. Thankfully, modern plastic surgery keeps the appearance acceptable. Happily, since I live alone, I can act as immature and youthful as I wish, blasting music and dancing around - that helps. A good thing is that we DO live in the modern medical/dental age and many of our issues can be repaired.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:54 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,219,603 times
Lots of athletes can't accept the fact of growing older. Unfortunately, Father Time is undefeated.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:58 AM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
That scraping noise you hear is my butt dragging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement