Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 06:36 AM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times

Advertisements

^^^ MAJOR kudos to you, StealthRabbit!!!

I love to plan (I have been a "list maker" ever since I was about seven years old, I think), and so I have always thought that being a professional travel and vacation planner would be an ideal occupation for me IF it wasn't for the fact that I am a chronic worrier and have a touch of OCD, meaning I tend to get stressed out over details. However, all the work YOU did is just AMAZING to me!! I was almost exhausted after just reading about it!

Good for you!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 09:54 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Can I come with you? Sounds wonderful.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I love to plan (I have been a "list maker" ever since I was about seven years old, I think), and so I have always thought that being a professional travel and vacation planner would be an ideal occupation for me IF it wasn't for the fact that I am a chronic worrier and have a touch of OCD, ...
me too ... chronic worrier + perfectionist (mandatory for my toolmaker career).

This 'later-in-life-stuff' is pretty EZ compared to my earlier life... Dairy Farm Boarding school (till I escaped at age 15), then caregiver for disabled parent (30+yrs) while... farming (PT), homeschooling, working nights, and living internationally 5x _ lots of volunteering.

I encourage others to look FAR beyond the box / norm (and C-D naysayers) and seek the appropriate adventure to suit their nature / desires / comfort level.

I strongly encourage international travel and living (So you can get to know local cultures and broaden your horizon. ) sooner the better (with a growing family is great).

Also OP mentions 'doing RTW while agile enough to enjoy / be capable'. Good idea! I meet many older international travelers in Asia and Europe who are really struggling with health and agility. I appreciate their tenacity.

Besides... tomorrow? who knows if we will still be around.

1) buy a one way ticket somewhere far away.
2) pack
3) Go
4) ? whatever happens... (Who knows?, but it will be an adventure !)

Old 01-25-2019, 01:00 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Allianz insurance company sells one-year travel insurance for about $450, which covers only $50k in medical expenses, but does cover $250k in airlifting cost (so you can get flown home and use your regular insurance for medical costs beyond the immediate emergency care). It also pays for delayed/cancelled flights, loss of property while traveling etc. similar minor costs, as weIl as something for loss of limb or life. I have this insurance primarily because I work part-time in various states nationwide throughout a typical year, but it comes handy for foreign travel too. Thank goodness, I never had to use it.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:16 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
I did a RTW air pass in February 1991. I don't know what it's like now but I needed to get my visa's lined up for India, China, Australia before I left, and my Indian visa didn't arrive until a few days before departure which was very stressful. Back then, you could change your whole itinerary 2X without charge, and I had to keep going in an easterly direction, no backtracking.

Foreign travel can be a lot of work, and I understand why so many make excuses for not going across the Atlantic or Pacific.

But bear in mind, what Thomas Jefferson had to say about travel: Travel makes you more wise, and less happy!

Not the traveling itself, the aftermath. I once read about trip recovery. It goes like this: if you take a trip for 2 weeks, it's going to take you (multiples of 3) 6 weeks to fully recover. So with a year long trip, it may take you 3 years to fully recover.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:19 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,451,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMil View Post
Great idea - but after doing it I could suggest a few changes.

My wife (63) and I (70) travelled to 23 countries and over 75 cities in about 18 months. We had previously lived in the Philippines for about 3 1/2 years and had divested ourselves of virtually all our possessions except for a few boxes of personal effects.

Have a look at Airtreks for flights. We did not book RTW tickets as they limited flexibility. Some countries/cities you may want to stay longer and others shorter. Also only visiting one city in a country will provide a very limited perspective ... as will living in one accommodation.

We had great times staying in hostels (private rooms usually with private bathrooms) and AirBnb's meeting and speaking to the vast community of world travellers and locals.

Also it is worth considering some trips and sightseeing when you are visiting certain countries eg Halong Bay in Vietnam, Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, Iguazu Falls bordering Argentina and Brazil, Salar de Uyuni in Bolivia, Peru Hop Bus in Peru, Angkor Wat in Siem Riep, etc.

Another thing to consider is, why stop after a year? If you enjoy the lifestyle and experiences go back to different countries and live for longer periods.

The last thing I would be concerned about is jet lag which if you travel in a westerly direction is not a major issue ... travel east and it is slightly more of an adjustment.

If you want any more information (I have a complete summary of all our costs by country) you can have a look at my blog and if you have any specific questions feel free to contact me.
Good info. Now you have me interested.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I did a RTW air pass in February 1991. ...

Not the traveling itself, the aftermath. I once read about trip recovery. It goes like this: if you take a trip for 2 weeks, it's going to take you (multiples of 3) 6 weeks to fully recover. So with a year long trip, it may take you 3 years to fully recover.
Since I travel much of the time (since birth... my dad was a truck driver) I have been able to adapt to the 10 min plan. Especially when living in Europe and Asia where it is very common to take overnight accommodation methods (Sleeper bus, train, plane)... I often got home and went directly to work, often straight to work without going home. I am so pleased the new routing USA to Asia allows you to leave at 10pm, fly 16 - 18 hrs and arrive at 8AM, just in time to enjoy a COMPLETE day!, so no 'recovery' for me. (each direction!) really makes the adjustment instant! and no 'burning daylight' 'resting / recovery'.

When we were overseas for a yr and left a farm behind... we never recovered (Pruning, weeds, roofs, firewood, crop rotations... ) The place was never again 'pristine'. Now we leave a tenant to at least mow and take care of the house. and we hire fieldwork done. If traveling extensively, would be really sweet to have a condo as a home! (or preferably NO home...) but... with tractors, dozers, livestock, pets... no home is only a dream at this point. IN the future... as rural senior village with a few couples who like to be 'Home Bodies' would be perfect!

My previous manager would come home from vacation at least 2 days early to prepare to be ready for work... I would be happy to have 2 minutes to prepare myself for work...

Old 01-26-2019, 10:03 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,612,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life changes View Post
..... We want to see the world before we can't handle the physical demands of a long trip.
Here is our plan:
Buy an "around the world airline ticket" for both us with 12 stops. Estimated cost about $3000 a piece. ..

Live one month in each of the 12 cities in a VRBO home.....
What do you think of our retirement plan and what challenges or issues should we consider?
I did something similar, not the same but similar, for 6 months when I was just starting out in adult life a long, long time ago. It was a life changing experience for me in the most fundamental way outside of being a parent. It doomed me to a life almost obsessed with international travel whenever possible. Because, many of your notions of people unlike yourself will be challenged, assuming you don't limit yourself to expat colonies & timeshare type retreats (I hope not).

First & foremost you need to get good travelers' health insurance, don't skimp for $$$ sake, get the best you can. Traffic accidents are the primary cause of traveler's deaths even if you are walking & then there are all those strange "bugs" potentially waiting. Get a highly rated policy that includes coverage for an airlift to a major medical facility if needed preferably of your choice , not the insurance company's choice if possible.

Also have coverage to have your remains repatriated by air in a worst case scenario.

My other advice is to try to arrange lodging in places where you will mingle with travelers on a daily basis, like a nice hostel with adult style quarters, or somewhere where you can walk everyday to a locals hangout for meals/drinks. In Bali for example you used to be able to stay in a family compound for a couple of dollars a day & perhaps take some meals with them (this is before that horrible movie turned the island into god knows what).

$3K is a good price for RTW but like others I have reservations about arranging your trip of a lifetime destinations so firm so far in advance... some of the most memorable times could be diversions that just present themselves at the last minute or some destinations could lose interest for you in a few days. For example you could easily spend 6 months perusing the different cultures on various islands just in Indonesia or a year traveling just the fascinating countries in SE Asia.... easily! I might buy a ticket, actually use FF points, to the first spot & then use trains buses & flights onward.

Pack everything you think you'll need & then leave half of that home, trust me. You can buy anything in country. One bag, perhaps one you can put on your back with the weight on your hips, & a carry-on. Rollaboard cases will be troublesome on cobblestones, gravel, dirt, mud & puddles, staircases, etc...Good walking shoes & they should be already broken in, not new.

Sounds like a great trip!

Last edited by Hefe; 01-26-2019 at 10:12 AM..

Old 01-26-2019, 11:13 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
Not a round the world trip but an interesting one would be a motorhome tour of Europe and northern Africa. Start in England in March. Purchase a used, small mobile home. One with a toilet and shower. Head to northern Europe, then to central europe, then eastern Europe including Russia, then south around the Mediterranean Sea into Northern Africa then to Spain, France and back to England. Basically following the sun. No need to be in a cold, wintery place. Sell the motorhome and return to the US.

Look for left hand drive (an in US).

https://www.gumtree.com/campervans-m...land/motorhome

Old 01-26-2019, 04:53 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Not a round the world trip but an interesting one would be a motorhome tour of Europe and northern Africa. Start in England in March. Purchase a used, small mobile home. One with a toilet and shower. Head to northern Europe, then to central europe, then eastern Europe including Russia, then south around the Mediterranean Sea into Northern Africa then to Spain, France and back to England. Basically following the sun. No need to be in a cold, wintery place. Sell the motorhome and return to the US.

Look for left hand drive (an in US).

https://www.gumtree.com/campervans-m...land/motorhome
https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans...se-/1325630545
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement