Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 04:13 AM

4,280 posts, read 5,940,712 times

Advertisements

Not the actual roll-over of the clocks but rather the frantic search for all and any pieces of digital code which could not support a 4-digit year code, or programs hard coded to have only a "1" in the thousands place for the year.

Find them, test them, certify them, or replace them.

Fears of airplanes dropping from the sky, automated trains crashing into each other, phones not working, power grids shutting down, building automation systems failing and providing no heat during the coldest time of the year, all drove this crazy search and destroy mission which took place in the Cyber World.

Most of the public probably felt it was much ado about nothing when they awoke on January 1, 2000 and saw everything was normal; not realizing the thousands of people who had worked at warp speed for a year or more to ensure that nothing bad happened when the ball dropped in Times Square.

Twenty years ago, damn I feel old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 04:23 AM

106,709 posts, read 108,913,061 times
y2k ended up being like all these stock market and economic predictions we see

Old 01-25-2019, 04:50 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,118,464 times
In a way, Y2K was quite the little job stimulus program.

Yes, it sure does seem like just yesterday

Old 01-25-2019, 04:54 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,919,250 times
But it sure did get me a LOT of paid overtime!

Old 01-25-2019, 05:02 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,493,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Not the actual roll-over of the clocks but rather the frantic search for all and any pieces of digital code which could not support a 4-digit year code, or programs hard coded to have only a "1" in the thousands place for the year.

Fears of airplanes dropping from the sky, automated trains crashing into each other, phones not working, power grids shutting down, building automation systems failing and providing no heat during the coldest time of the year, all drove this crazy search and destroy mission which took place in the Cyber World.

Most of the public probably felt it was much ado about nothing when they awoke on January 1, 2000 and saw everything was normal; not realizing the thousands of people who had worked at warp speed for a year or more to ensure that nothing bad happened when the ball dropped in Times Square.

When I was in school in the 60s and 70s, the "millennium " sounded sooooo far away.

Now, as you said, its heading for 20 years beyond it!

On the other hand, it doesnt seem so far away.

I also remember the BIG QUESTION:::would it be "twenty oh one" or " two thousand and one". Ive called it "two thousand and...." until we get to 2020, then ill switch to "twenty twenty". Most people around me do too.

My father bought his generator in the after sale frenzy because they had so many and weren't sold, so he got a sweet deal on it. Where he lives the power does frequently go out, so it has its uses for him.

Yeah its hard for me to believe the millennium has long ago passed.

To me, though, i had faith everything would go on as normal, so it was no big whoop.

Like you i feel old, having seen it, been there, done that. Long ago.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:39 AM

17,346 posts, read 11,293,931 times
Some people made a killing with all the doomsday hype. I knew someone that worked for a utility company that was selling survival kits (on her own). The kit contained the basics to survive for a few days without electricity because of the chance all power as part of the national grid system was going to go down and not be restored for at least 72 hours after the clock struck midnight 2000. It was a prime example of fear mongering and taking advantage of not very smart people.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:58 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
I had an IBM PC that woke up on 1 Jan 2000 with a dead (confused) CPU (thought it was 1964) I had to create a dead short for the battery and then reset the time every time I booted it for next several yrs.

y2k did help me to collect 38 Diesel VW's and a homebrew fuel factory, and some diesel gensets. Very very cheap.

Wish I could do it all over again (financial planning opportunities!) Been a sweet run. We are privileged to live in VERY wealthy (and EZ) times. (no / little inflation).

Now to find that PERFECT 1950's diesel car and truck with NO plastic! Will be set for the next digit roll. (y10k)

Twenty years ago, damn I feel old. not me... I am stuck in the 1970's... do not have a car / vehicle as new as 2000. Toaster and Waffle Iron... 1918 - 1924. (20 sec full sized waffles = not too much progress in 100yrs...)

50 mpg since 1976 on Free Fuel = negative progress in last 40 yrs (fuel economy) but I saved 70,000 gal of dino fuel for others to waste

Old 01-25-2019, 06:19 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:

We worked all weekend.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:30 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:

My MIL panicked, so we are the proud owners of 2 generators and numerous other "survival" items.

Worked out well for us.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:34 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,522,642 times
I was in Public Safety and due to the nature of our business and equipment, we had to ensure that when midnight struck all would be good. I, along with many in I.T. made a few dollars during, what turned out to be, a non-issue event!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement