Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 02:36 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,362,032 times

Advertisements

I have gone in circles with Fidelity about this. I have a pension with Fidelity, through my employer. In processing when I want it to start, there seems to be this "thing" that I have to do to prove I am single. I thought, just how do I do that? The 2nd person I spoke to, there have been 4, said, "just go to a notary and get a "single status affidavit". I make an appt. at my bank with the notary, this morning, and he looked at me like I had a 3rd eye. Never heard of this, talked with other bank people who had never heard of this either. I thought ok, maybe I missed something on the Fidelity website. I then went around in circles for an hour and half with someone else at Fidelity, who essentially didn't know what she was talking about. I wanted to scream. Onward, to person #4, when I had to call back with questions... omg, can this be real?? She tells me there is no document for this that essentially I need to write my own form of single status affidavit, take it to the notary and on and on. Seriously, that's it, after all this??

I see online all these "single status" certificates etc., for other countries, for getting married etc. I am thinking if I need to do my own statement I can tease this and that from other forms I have seen. But is that ok to do?

But really, has anyone had to do this or know anything about it?? I would be eternally grateful for any thoughts, ideas. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 02:55 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,282,985 times
Actually, that sounds pretty reasonable. It's not the notary's job to compose a document, only to verify that you're the person who signed it in their presence. One thing you might want to do is compose an affidavit and run it by Fidelity to see if it's acceptable before you take it to a notary. Unfortunate that Fidelity can't help you by supplying sample wording.

And, you probably know this but in case others are wondering: if you want to take a pension with no Survivor benefit (which gives you a higher amount per month) any spouse must agree to it. Perfectly reasonable for Fidelity to want to assure themselves that there's no spouse whose consent they have to obtain.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:59 PM

6,637 posts, read 7,378,834 times
Ask Fidelity to send you the form or link to it.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:59 PM

45,573 posts, read 60,857,128 times
I don't know about single but I had to prove Mrs. NBP's existence with her ID and a copy of our marriage license when I applied for my pension.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Ask Fidelity to send you the form or link to it.

Ask them about this. They were as flummoxed as I.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Actually, that sounds pretty reasonable. It's not the notary's job to compose a document, only to verify that you're the person who signed it in their presence. One thing you might want to do is compose an affidavit and run it by Fidelity to see if it's acceptable before you take it to a notary. Unfortunate that Fidelity can't help you by supplying sample wording.

And, you probably know this but in case others are wondering: if you want to take a pension with no Survivor benefit (which gives you a higher amount per month) any spouse must agree to it. Perfectly reasonable for Fidelity to want to assure themselves that there's no spouse whose consent they have to obtain.

No problem with them wanting it. Understand the reasoning. Just their assuming the notary would provide it, wrong. Now that I know, I will compose something and go from there. Wisg I had know 2 weeks ago.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:18 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,313,540 times
Maybe try a law office? A paralegal might be able to help you

And also not all notaries are the same. We have a lady in our small town that handles all kinds of notary cases. The notary at your bank might not be as experienced.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:00 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,054,249 times
It’s either A) welcome to 2019 or B) spousal laws governing survivor benefits. Probably both. What a disgrace the Fidelity rep(s) are unable to explain.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:08 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,242,990 times
I can see having to prove you're married. I have never heard of having to prove you are single, but there are a lot of weird requirements out there these days.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:14 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,548,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
No problem with them wanting it. Understand the reasoning. Just their assuming the notary would provide it, wrong. Now that I know, I will compose something and go from there. Wisg I had know 2 weeks ago.
I believe you misunderstood their directive about the notary. A notary never provides forms. Try this https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...hjsKl7Z9rnZ45B
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement