Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 09:55 AM

413 posts, read 701,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
This. When my step-Grandma's husband died (1970s or before), she discovered that when her husband filed for his company pension and they told him he could collect a particular amount with no Survivor benefit or a smaller amount but with a Survivor benefit payable to her if he died first, he chose the larger amount. The first time she knew about it was when he died and the pension stopped. That, on top of the decreased SS, was a terrible shock. Her kids sat her down and said she had to find a husband. That's how she ended up as my step-Grandma.

That's why all the bureaucracy. They want to make darn sure some widow/widower isn't going to come out of the woodwork after the OP dies and say they were unaware that their late spouse had made that choice. When DH was dying of acute myeloid leukemia, I decided to start collecting a $900/month pension to help with some expenses. Selecting "no survivor benefit" was a no-brainer in our case but he had to sign the consent forms and I found a notary to come to the house.
Same thing happened to my aunt in the 90's. All our family were shocked. "Fortunately" (sarcasm) she was in ill health and only outlived her husband by a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 10:23 AM

555 posts, read 595,551 times
This is all news to me. I'm newly retired, divorced (19 years ago), and just filed for my pension. No mention of any of this on the Fidelity website which would have been nice. We'll see what happens. Pretty sure that when my significant other retired from the same company (we're not married and he's never been married) he didn't have to do anything like that, but at that time Fidelity wasn't the administrator.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:28 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Every time, Yes. Every single time, I take funds out of my TIAA account, I have to sign a form confirming my single status. They send me the form, print it out, sign it, take a iPhone photo, and upload it to my TIAA on-line input mailbox.

Heavens, I wish it were that simple. I have spoken to 4 people at Fidelity and all different answers. Obviously, they don't know what they are asking for or what they are doing. The last Fidelity person I spoke with was just as confused but suggested I write my own. She actually was the first person who made any sense.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Google /affidavit single status/

Pick one, print it, fill it out, have it notarized.

An affidavit is simply a declaration of fact for which there is no supporting evidence, which you attest to under penalty of perjury.

Because there is no central registry of marriage in the USA (perhaps uniquely), I needed to make such an affidavit in order to marry abroad, as evidence that there was no impediment to marriage.
Yes, have found a few online that I can work with.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
I have a pension through Fidelity. You get the paperwork from your EMPLOYERS HR department. It's basically just the thing you sign to decide how the pension is portioned out. IE: full, with NO survivor benefit, "120" equal payments guaranteed over 120 years, etc, Certain % portion, WITH certain % survivor rights, and the like.

That's it. But mine was filed with our HR department, when they also were setting up my retirement. There was a lot more paperwork, and it was a 3 month process, but this one paper was a biggie in their eyes.

No, not the same. HR has nothing to do with this. I went through Fidelity's website to complete pension request, this single status was the end of it. Everything done through Fidelity.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:38 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
here is the form , it is called a spousal consent form but it has a section if you are not married .

file:///C:/Users/mathj/Pictures/TO%20BE%20UPLOADED/RPA-Spousal-Consent-Form.pdf

Old 01-19-2019, 11:38 AM

As the OP, just a thanks for the replies and suggestions. This too shall pass!! Hope spring eternal!!

Old 01-19-2019, 11:42 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Actually, my marriages and divorces were in another county. You go online, look up that county clerk office and there was on online form I filled out, paid with my debit card and they mailed it out.

It turned out I didn't need them because of my drivers license history but still nice to have just in case.
I also got married in a foreign country and didn't need anything like that. I needed a birth certificate and my divorce decree, but in theory I could've remarried after my divorce in the U.S. and they wouldn't have had anyway to know that.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:52 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
if you look on page 17 you should be able to change your account to no spouse . it says a consent form is only needed if you are married .

https://hr.bpglobal.com/LifeBenefits...-12-14-16.aspx

Old 01-19-2019, 12:10 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
If it was me, I would go to my local Fidelity office and have them prepare something for me to sign and them to notarize. Or, perhaps just swear before your own notary that "I, brava4, attest to the fact that I am a single, unmarried wo/man" Then sign and date the page and have it notarized, for example at your bank. Keep a copy and send original to your pension office.
I like this; quick, simple, and effective - I would note in it that you have never been married. Another thing they may accept is a copy of the front page of your annual tax return, which shows your filing status with respect to marriage. When I started my pension, I had to provide a copy of my divorce decree, which showed that my ex did not have any rights to my pension, 401k, etc.. It was an unanticipated delay of about two weeks, but it was accepted and processed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement