Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2019, 03:29 PM

1,042 posts, read 874,256 times

Advertisements

We are actually doing alright in retirement as far as finances go. A few hundred dollars more a month would make it more than alright. I would only take on activities that I enjoy. What I would love to do would be making some extra money working with animals.

I was thinking animal sitting, in my home or theirs. I would ike to provide a service where I can keep dogs[mostly] happy and healthy while apart from their people. We sometimes need to find someone to watch our animals for a few days when we have somewhere we need [or want] to go somewhere and having someone who will not only make sure our animals are fed, walked, but also given some loving makes all the difference to us. We would not charge a lot, because we would not want to put financial pressure on the owners, and we love animals so much anyway.

Has anyone does this, and how should I get started? If possible, I would like to do this without a bunch of licensing and all of that, just simple person to person service. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 03:56 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Word of mouth and maybe a social media page in your area. My vet's tech does both in-home and outta-home animal care and has her business card at the vet office. She said all of her clients have come word of mouth.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:57 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
I would start by doing it for family, friends, and neighbors.

Pretty soon, they'll be referring their friends and neighbors to you.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:22 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
This is very common in my area.
To start search for someone to sit your dog. That might help you learn how they advertise and the competition.

I would try and find a free website so you can set up a page so when someone searches for the service you come up.

I would also talk to the local vets. I think you have to leave something in writing so print off a one page sales piece from your printer.

Look for local blogs to post your services on and maybe google adds.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:30 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Do you belong to Nextdoor? I see a lot of people offering pet sitting services there.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:27 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
Yes, I second Nextdoor. Easy way to get recommendations from local people in your neighborhood and also to let others know what you can/will do.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:55 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
Do you have a yard that is totally fenced in ?....that would be a big plus. The Wife and I used a website called "Rover.com" when we took our pup with us to Cape Cod. The lady had a fenced in yard, and about 5 other dogs staying with her, it made us a little uncomfortable to have so many dogs, especially one bigger one that would not leave our little guy alone at first. We have decided to never do that again, and her house absolutely wreaked of urine . We then went to a highly recommended boarding place, thier only downfall, the last person leaves at 6pm, and they do not reopen till 6am, so that is 12 hours of no walk, or human contact....best case scenario, your pup is last out for walk, and first in the AM. We would find it to be a perfect set up if we could find a home that would take in maybe two pups (including ours), fenced in yard, and a proof of vaccination to protect everyone....the lady at Rover.com never asked if he was vaccinated.....and clean, the place needs to be clean.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:27 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
I have a close retired friend who pet sits. For a long time she would take the well behaved dogs into her home with her dog, and she would sit the others at their home with multiple visits per day. For the multiple trip per day dogs, she would only accept those within about 5 or 6 miles of her home, otherwise the driving becomes too much. She would also stay full time in their home if it worked out with her schedule and other commitments. She has recently stopped accepting dogs into her home, except those that she has previously vetted, due to an attack on her own dog by one of her customers' dogs. So now she just does the visiting or staying in their home type of work. She does very well financially with her little business, but her ability to travel, and go places even for a few hours, is severely impacted by her commitments.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:03 PM

616 posts, read 341,450 times
Not sure if anyone has mentioned that you need to check with the city or county on whether you would need any kind of license or permit to care for them on your property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement