Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 10:25 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,201,239 times

Advertisements

I built what I thought would be my home forever in my late 50's. I have disability accommodation needs that can't be easily accommodated in existing housing. The whole process from first meeting with the builder to move in took about 18 months. I bought the lot first, in a rural area. Then I drew up a floor plan and a draftsman translated it into formal plans. I had to be very closely involved in all aspects of materials selection and it was frankly a full time job during 7 or 8 months of construction. I also contracted some of the subs myself. I was a lot more careful about their selection than the builder was. I thought the whole building process was kind of fun. I learned a lot about all phases of home construction. When I moved in, the house was exactly what I wanted and needed, so it was worth all the work I put into it. As time passed I did find things that weren't done in the best way, because I didn't know exactly what to ask for from the builder. One big hassle was rodents and such getting into the ceiling. It took quite a while to get that sealed up right.

We negotiated a fixed price contract and it ended up costing less. I negotiated a 2 year full warranty and 10 for major things like foundation.

I would definitely build again, probably with a different builder, but now that I'm older, I need to move much closer to town services, and land to build on is scarce in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 11:39 PM

16,093 posts, read 10,762,339 times
I moved 1000 miles so I needed to get a house.
I had land purchased and plans drawn up for an 1800 sq. ft. home (significantly smaller than my previous home). When it got down to actually starting consfruction, well drilling, and septic system installation, I pulled the plug because the cost spiralled upward by over $100k before work even started on the land. This was during the recession and my builder actually suggested I look at existing homes that were selling at reduced prices. I found a near perfect custom home with three times the land. It is slightly smaller (1600 sq. ft.) but has plenty of storage and it works very well for me and cost less than I planned to spend. The builder remarked that the home couldn't be built today for the asking price.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:47 AM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
First, I apologize for adding this to THIS thread, but I don't know where else to post these questions regarding building a custom home, BUT --

For those of you who have had a custom home built, did you hire a lawyer, and if you did, do you think it was worth it, and how much did it cost?

In the past, we have bought six homes without a lawyer, and for four existing homes and one new tract home, everything went fine. However, when we bought an existing new home that we wanted some revisions made to it, it was an absolute disaster as the contractor was very new and incompetent, and that big mistake ended up costing us a small fortune. Well, we 'lived and learned', and so this time we are going with a VERY established contracting firm (more than 30 years of experience with a five star reputation and numerous reviews), and so I would like opinions as to whether or not we should hire a lawyer.

Also, we will be building out of state, but my husband, who had construction experience in his young adulthood, will be making numerous "extended weekend" trips to oversee the building, so any advice as to what stages of construction are most crucial for "on site" monitoring of the construction would be also appreciated!

(Also, if you think that it would be helpful if I start a different thread, please say so, although I would prefer to keep it in the Retirement forum because I have discovered that with most of my past questions, people who have "BTDT" are usually much more helpful than professionals!

Last edited by katharsis; 02-15-2019 at 08:06 AM..

Old 02-15-2019, 07:25 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,190,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I moved 1000 miles so I needed to get a house.
I had land purchased and plans drawn up for an 1800 sq. ft. home (significantly smaller than my previous home). When it got down to actually starting consfruction, well drilling, and septic system installation, I pulled the plug because the cost spiralled upward by over $100k before work even started on the land. This was during the recession and my builder actually suggested I look at existing homes that were selling at reduced prices. I found a near perfect custom home with three times the land. It is slightly smaller (1600 sq. ft.) but has plenty of storage and it works very well for me and cost less than I planned to spend. The builder remarked that the home couldn't be built today for the asking price.
Boy, that's awful...that happened to us in Maine. We payed WAAAY too much for 5-acres of property (2006,duh), then when we went to find a builder, we got quotes from three. The cheapest plan for a 1600 sq ft house we found would have required us to invest $440K- or more if the build went over budget. We bailed, and sold the property 6 years later at a 30K loss.
Things were entirely different in Michigan; found 10 acres of beautiful land up north, then put up a pole-barn with 1152 sq ft apartment, well, septic, 200A electrical for < $90K. This is actually 35K less than what we paid for raw land in Maine, near Freeport...We are now starting to design our final house which will be built into the hill slightly below the pole-barn, with easy access to it. We will live in the pole-barn while the house gets built because there are no rentals in this area.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:51 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
First, I apologize for adding this to THIS thread, but I don't know where else to post these questions regarding building a custom home, BUT --

For those of you who have had a custom home built, did you hire a lawyer, and if you did, do you think it was worth it, and how much did it cost?

In the past, we have bought six homes without a lawyer, and for four existing homes and one new tract home, and everything went fine. However, when we bought an existing new home that we wanted some revisions made to it, it was an absolute disaster as the contractor was very new and incompetent, and that big mistake ended up costing us a small fortune. Well, we 'lived and learned', and so this time we are going with a VERY established contracting firm (more than 30 years of experience with a five star reputation and numerous reviews), and so I would like opinions as to whether or not we should hire a lawyer.

Also, we will be building out of state, but my husband, who had construction experience in his young adulthood, will be making numerous "extended weekend" trips to oversee the building, so any advice as to what stages of construction are most crucial for "on site" monitoring of the construction would be also appreciated!

(Also, if you think that it would be helpful if I start a different thread, please say so, although I would prefer to keep it in the Retirement forum because I have discovered that with most of my past questions, people who have "BTDT" are usually much more helpful than professionals!
We did not use a lawyer, but did have a contract for the build - required by the bank. I was comfortable with the contract, so did not feel the need for a lawyer's review, or a lawyer to draft the contract. I was a essentially project manager in the military, so I was familiar with contracts, and that helped.

We did build while we were not in the area. We are very happy with the build quality of the home. I flew in about monthly to meet with the builder and check progress. It worked fine, but if I were to do it again I would find a way to be on site daily if possible.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:07 AM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
^^^^ THANK YOU!! That makes me feel a LOT better and more comfortable!

Old 02-15-2019, 09:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
10+ builds, never a lawyer -
1x financed (that was one too many) Banks really are expensive and slow / and make your project complex. (for very little benefit...)
I Self financed afterward (HELOCS, Margin, personal or business LOC, ...)

If you are using a General Contractor.... I would spend the $500 to have a lawyer groom the contract (to your benefit), and write a few letterhead 'encouragement' notifications of 'non-performance'. (You MUST have a 'performance clause' if using a GC)

If using subs...
My biggest plus was a very exhaustive Microsoft Project (or equivalent) task schedule which every sub was required to approve sign for their 'window' of service. (before they were awarded the work (by a signed letter with specific details to their task) They approved their allotted schedule and adjacent tasks, were notified 1 month, 2 weeks, and 2 days prior. They were under a performance clause (if they were late they had a financial burden).

DO NOT FORGET!!!

100% Lien releases on ANY contractor supplied materials. (or issue final payment payable to Contractor AND material supplier!!!)

NEVER 100% pay off a sub before completion AND walk through and inspection.

Pay them their costs, but not their incentive / profit until:
1) they are finished
2) it is inspected
3) you are satisfied (reasonably)

Logistically... If possible live onsite. I prefer to build a shop with apartment and RV hook-ups... very useful later for extra housing / crafts / projects, but...

So critical in advance of build to have a shop / storage area;
1) Complete utilities, driveways, septic, well...
2) Accumulate and store unique / bargain building materials
3) Have a work space
4) have a bathroom, place to rest
5) Have a place to escape / let off steam (install a basketball hoop indoors!)

Having a GATE and fence is a good idea

Don't forget insurance ! (liability, theft, fire) (Std Homeowners will not cover this exposure)

Old 02-15-2019, 09:33 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,493,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

In the past, we have bought six homes without a lawyer, and for four existing homes and one new tract home, everything went fine. However, when we bought an existing new home that we wanted some revisions made to it, it was an absolute disaster as the contractor was very new and incompetent, and that big mistake ended up costing us a small fortune. Well, we 'lived and learned', and so this time we are going with a VERY established contracting firm (more than 30 years of experience with a five star reputation and numerous reviews), and so I would like opinions as to whether or not we should hire a lawyer.

Katharsis: OP here, you are more than welcone to ask here!

I dont know what kind of answers you'll get.

I'll watch and learn too!

We plan to have: an architect, an attorney, a real estate agent as well as a seasoned builder.

Hopefully that will mean we have fewer problems.

Best to you!!

Old 02-15-2019, 10:59 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,201,239 times
quote=StealthRabbit;54440386]

DO NOT FORGET!!!

100% Lien releases on ANY contractor supplied materials. (or issue final payment payable to Contractor AND material supplier!!!)

NEVER 100% pay off a sub before completion AND walk through and inspection.

Pay them their costs, but not their incentive / profit until:
1) they are finished
2) it is inspected
3) you are satisfied (reasonably)
[/quote]

I insisted on the lien releases too, very important, both for subs and for materials if they were costly.

I found a couple of good books on contracting to build a house and they were quite helpful.

If you are using an architect and are not local, you could hire them to provide some project oversight.

I did not need a lawyer.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:26 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times
I've built several homes from the ground up. All the foundation, framing, plumbing, electrical, roofing and finish work. It's a lot of work when you do it yourself, hiring help for the big pushes 1 man can't do alone such as operating lifts and placing heavy components at the same time.

I just retired and bought a small ranch for my retirement home. It has a 3 bed/2 bath trailer on it to live in. My first work is remodeling the house I bought while I was working. I have a buyer, but the want some work done. No problem, and it increases the value of the home x4 over what I paid. It will pay off the new 160 acre ranch, and leave me free to build my new home. I'll use native stone from the land. It will be slightly larger than my current house, but manageable at about 2200 square feet. It will have a slightly lower level for the kitchen and dining room, about 4 feet lower than the main level, and a more formal living room above the kitchen/dining area, about 4 feet above the main level. By only having 4 foot rises, I can easily design in ramps instead of stairs.

My elderly parents may have to stay with me, and my mother has Parkinson's so mobility issues. By designing my home for full handicapped accessibility, it makes it easy for my parents to be comfortable there, and for my wife and I as we age. I retired very early, so I'm looking at occupying that house for at least 30 years.

By building it myself, designing it, and from past experience, I can make it a showplace of comfort and convenience without sacrificing style. By building myself using mostly materials from the land, I don't need any contractors, the materials I do buy I can pay cash for. No liens, no lawyers, no muss or fuss. Takes some planning and skills, but I think having the perfect house on the perfect place where I can take care of my family is well worth the effort.

I know not everyone can do what I'm doing, but I'm really glad that I can. It's very satisfying to be able to provide for your lived ones from your own efforts.

Last edited by MTSilvertip; 02-15-2019 at 11:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement