Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 07:41 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,125,705 times

Advertisements

Thought I knew about most of the scams going around, but I just saw something on FB about a scam that's new to me. Thought I'd pass it on, on the off chance it's new to you, too.

"Received a call from Social Security Office lady stated name and ID# she stated that my SS# has been tagged with drug trafficking and I need to verify my social security number to her so she could give me all information attached to my number and if I did not give her my information she was suspending my SS#. I told her that my SS# cannot be suspended I don't get any lololol she told me to either give it to her or she was hanging up and suspending I said I guess your hanging up! She did! BEWARE advise the elderly. She was very convincing! Here’s the # 1-254-781-0636"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 08:09 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,798,160 times
The SS never call is my understanding.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:12 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,926,013 times
I'm at the point that I don't even answer my phone but some of these scammers will leave a voice mail.

Folks should never reply to a call such as the OP posted about.

Hang up then call the number that's in your phone book or on your legitimate SS papers to see if the call you received was legitimate.

Once in awhile, if I'm in a foul mood and not getting the horse stalls cleaned as fast as I should, I do answer the phone to a scammer. If it isn't a robo call, I unleash on the caller with a barrage of swear words that would make a sailor blush

And I feel better --- much better

Old 02-20-2019, 06:08 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,525,027 times
If a caller # isn’t listed in my cell phone directory it’s disregarded and usually goes to voice mail, which I delete without listening to the message.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:17 AM

23,624 posts, read 70,563,787 times
My phone has an old answering machine attached that is set up to sound as if the call has gone to a call center where the caller will be connected internationally to a random Swede. I guess scammers don't think their Swedish is good enough for a conversation?

Old 02-20-2019, 06:23 AM

6,313 posts, read 4,219,804 times
Thanks. Most of the hoax and phishing calls don’t get through because I have an app that screens them but now and again one will slip through and it’s good to be aware of new scams.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:04 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,613,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Thought I knew about most of the scams going around, but I just saw something on FB about a scam that's new to me. Thought I'd pass it on, on the off chance it's new to you, too.

"Received a call from Social Security Office lady stated name and ID# she stated that my SS# has been tagged with drug trafficking and I need to verify my social security number to her so she could give me all information attached to my number and if I did not give her my information she was suspending my SS#. I told her that my SS# cannot be suspended I don't get any lololol she told me to either give it to her or she was hanging up and suspending I said I guess your hanging up! She did! BEWARE advise the elderly. She was very convincing! Here’s the # 1-254-781-0636"
The govt will NEVER call you for personal information. Ever.

But I've got a good one for you. I got a call from "Medicare" (the caller ID said "Medicare"). She said she was from "Medicare" and needed to verify my address.

I told her I never give out personal information on the phone, and besides, THE GOVERNMENT IS SHUT DOWN, SO MEDICARE WON'T BE CALLING ANYONE. LOL. There was a short silence, then she said, "Well, I'm in Florida." I then told her that I'm NOT in Florida, so no Florida govt office has anything to do with me. At which point she hung up.

I cont'd to get calls from "Medicare," though. I didn't answer them. They never left a message.

It's obviously a scam targeted at seniors.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:31 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,798,160 times
I agree everything is done by paper with SS.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:34 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,009,937 times
I did get a phone call, a genuine one, from Medicare when I first signed up.

But I also received an email about it with a valid .gov address. I can read email headers and catch spoofing.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:35 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,209,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post

I got this one too. But at the end it said that if I didn't call a number and give them the last 4 digits of my SSN, I would be immediately arrested.

Usually, I don't answer unknown numbers but I was expecting a call that day. Now I'm getting about 10 calls per day that I don't answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement