Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 12:29 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,776,290 times

Advertisements

I imagine some of us (or many?) have some secrets. Things you learned about your family but never told anyone. Something you did perhaps. My sister told me once that from her work she figured that there is no such thing as the Cleaver family (as in, Leave it to Beaver), that all families have secrets.

So I have a couple of secrets and no, I am not going to reveal them here. But I am wondering what to do with them. Take them to the grave with me? If so, it will be like those things never happened. Pass them on to a young family member and let her decide whether to reveal it or not? It could make for interesting family lore, or a lot of tittering around the Thanksgiving table. Or is it better to keep that stuff suppressed and take it to the grave?

I am curious if anyone else has thought about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 12:49 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,475,168 times
Once you've told a secret it's no longer a secret so as for me.....

Old 03-05-2019, 12:53 PM

705 posts, read 562,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I imagine some of us (or many?) have some secrets. Things you learned about your family but never told anyone. Something you did perhaps. My sister told me once that from her work she figured that there is no such thing as the Cleaver family (as in, Leave it to Beaver), that all families have secrets.

So I have a couple of secrets and no, I am not going to reveal them here. But I am wondering what to do with them. Take them to the grave with me? If so, it will be like those things never happened. Pass them on to a young family member and let her decide whether to reveal it or not? It could make for interesting family lore, or a lot of tittering around the Thanksgiving table. Or is it better to keep that stuff suppressed and take it to the grave?

I am curious if anyone else has thought about this.
I know a few things about a couple of other people but I see no reason to ever tell what I know, it would serve no purpose, it wouldn't help anyone to know and I'm not a fan of gossip. I'll take them with me when I go.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
I know a few things about a couple of other people but I see no reason to ever tell what I know, it would serve no purpose, it wouldn't help anyone to know and I'm not a fan of gossip. I'll take them with me when I go.
Even if the people are dead? I don't like gossip either, hence keeping a secret. But secrets are partly to protect the living. Does the family have any sort of right to know the truth about other members of the family? And what if the secrets are about you, not others?

Old 03-05-2019, 01:04 PM

11,147 posts, read 9,784,266 times
It depends...ask yourself ...is it your secret to tell? I mean is there anyone else who would be impacted by your telling? Will it improve others lives or reputations, or drag them down? What is the point of telling? Does anyone actually have a NEED to know?

If the secret is about someone else, living or dead, you really have no right to spread it. That's called gossip, and is NOT NICE. If there's a valuable purpose, such as someone doesn't know their "real" parentage and you're aware that the "real" parent had a hereditary disease and the offspring should be checked for it, then that is something to tell that person privately, and not spread around the family.

I recently discovered the truth of my family secret, and discovering the truth required the assistance of one brother and his wife. Now that we know, we won't be telling the rest of the family. It has no impact on their lives, and will only tear down the memory of a deceased family member, and create a sh*t-storm of prurient gossip. So the secret will be our secret to the grave as far as the rest of the family is concerned. I can tell total strangers, such as here, since they will never meet my family, and they never met any of the involved parties. If you feel you have to tell someone...write it on a dollar bill and put that into a vending machine, or scream it in the wilderness where no one can hear it.

I'm not a religious person, but for the many who are, the Bible is very clear in numerous places about gossip, such as....Ephesians 4:29...."Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." And James 1:26...."Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless." Good advice for Christians, and pretty much everyone else.

Last edited by TheShadow; 03-05-2019 at 01:20 PM..

Old 03-05-2019, 01:16 PM

705 posts, read 562,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Even if the people are dead? I don't like gossip either, hence keeping a secret. But secrets are partly to protect the living. Does the family have any sort of right to know the truth about other members of the family? And what if the secrets are about you, not others?
I gave my opinion. I see no reason for telling what I know. Would it help anyone? No. So what would be the point be besides people sitting around gossiping about it. Does the family have a right to know? No they don't. It would serve no purpose. And If someone somewhere has a secret about me they wish to share....have at it and good luck with that because I'd know if I personally was keeping a secret about myself. The thing is when I hear stories from others I take them with a grain of salt because in the end we don't know if they are true or not. As years go by stories get passed down or around and they tend to grow. The ones I know, I know 1st hand and as I said there is no reason anyone else should know. They don't concern anyone else. IF it would help someone to know a 'secret' I knew I could see sharing it but the truth is, that is seldom the case. (Example: If a person needed a transplant but he or she was secretly adopted or was a love child with someone else.) I had an aunt I dearly loved but she loved to gossip, that was the one thing I disliked about her. I am not a fan of tarnishing other people's memories, it accomplishes nothing.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:28 PM

146 posts, read 162,648 times
Default To the grave?

Unless it is about a crime, or has information that is critical to the lives of others, or will save the universe.... I would take it with me and let the worms digest it.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:31 PM

11,147 posts, read 9,784,266 times
I think people like to tell secrets because they think it makes them important, or special, because they know something others don't. Well once you tell, now everyone knows, so you're not special anymore. And you probably just stirred up trouble and made some people mad. Gossips remind me of drama queens and pot-stirrers.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:41 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,782,249 times
My family has no secrets. They are the type that blurted everything out. I married into a family like that. We’re not perfect, but we’re not terrible bad people either.

Old 03-05-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I think people like to tell secrets because they think it makes them important, or special, because they know something others don't. Well once you tell, now everyone knows, so you're not special anymore. And you probably just stirred up trouble and made some people mad. Gossips remind me of drama queens and pot-stirrers.
I am not talking about living people, I am talking about stuff in the family. Future generations are often curious about their forebears. Should the dirt of the forebears be in the open or should it disappear? I tend to think the grandkids have a right to know what their grandparents or great grandparents were really up to, after they have passed on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement