Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2019, 01:18 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,541,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Speaking of pens, just the normal cheap kind that are everywhere today, I think I have more pens than I will use for the rest of my life. Because of my job, I end up with the pens that every company on the planet buys with their names on them for advertising trinkets, but we live in a world where no one uses pens anymore.

The logical thing to do would be just pitch them, but I hate throwing stuff away that I know will just wind up in the ocean. I recently gave away a bunch of household items to the veteran's organization that picks them up, and I stuffed a bag of the pens in there, too. Let them figure out what to do with them. Maybe some budding ink-drawing artist will come across them and use them up.

Yeah, I think Middle School is either 7th/8th or 6-8. I think some of it may be regional as well. When I was going to school in California (early-mid 70s) we had "Jr. High" as 7-8-9. When I moved to Maryland (1979) - I think they were just switching it back to HS being 9-12. My parents (Midwest) and my husband (Midwest but Catholic schools) had no Jr. High or Middle school, just K-8 then HS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 02:12 PM

3,242 posts, read 2,472,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Having to warm up the TV.
Never mind warming up the TV, having to stand holding the antenna so that your Dad can watch the news. Party lines (phones), I would say records but they are making a comeback, push starting a VW. Color wheels on that white artificial Christmas tree. Penny loafers with actual pennies in them you would often take out so you could buy milk in school. Penny candy stores that you actually got something for a penny.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:26 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,137,861 times
The one that really baffles my neighbor's kids is when I tell them I used to get a job by looking at the want ads posted on Sunday, when the major newspaper usually had most of the job listings. This included not only entry level positions, but sometimes even some fairly high level positions at local corporations. My husband got a senior level position at TRW through a classified ad. For those entering the job market, the days before Sunday were used for printing copies of your resume on a nice quality paper and maybe making sure you had your references give you letters (which you then handed to the employer during the interview).

You'd make a few calls first thing Monday morning, and set up interviews for Tuesday or at least before Friday. Most places didn't want to interview more than 10-15 people, tops, so it paid to call early on Monday. They'd make a decision with a few days or by the end of the week, and usually called that day to offer you a job. I even had a few offers given at the end of the interview. People didn't want to spend a lot of time interviewing employees back then. There was much less paralysis due to over analysis. If you needed a job urgently, you'd accept the first offer. Sometimes you'd wait a few days to see what other offers you might get, but that was always a risk because the employer would often want to get the job filled and simply hire someone else.

Sometimes they called you in for a second interview, or they might need time to check references (or look at work samples/writing samples which were sometimes requested). In that case, it might take 2-3 weeks, but that was considered a long wait to start a job.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 03-13-2019 at 02:41 PM..

Old 03-13-2019, 02:33 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,541,702 times
Looking in the paper or calling the movie theater for the recorded message listing movie times.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:43 PM

^^^ And calling after 4:00 to see how the Dow Jones did that day.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:51 PM

Also, I didn't know anyone who took their kids on college tours like they do these days. Simply "going away to college" was still a luxury for a lot of people in my generation, not a given. It woud never have occurred to us to do all the things parents and kids do now. I chose my college based on a college catalog in the local library, and the advice of a few neighbors who thought it was a good school. Went there sight unseen. Picked a dorm because I liked the name. Packed 2 suitcases, and took nothing else. Got on a plane for a city I'd never been to before, rented a car, and drove to the campus, assuming everything would fall into place after I got there. I settled in my dorm room without bringing a rug or chair or artwork or much of anything. I didn't even bring hangers for my clothes, LOL. When I got there I lived out of my suitcase for a few days until I finally went to a store and bought some.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:24 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,116,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Using an old tub washer where there was a roller wringer to get the water removed. Us kids put things thru it like play dough. My mom was livid.
We didn't have one of those, but our aunt and uncle did. Our house was too small, but theirs was larger and they lived on a lake. We used it a lot to dry towels and bathing suits.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Kids just piling into the back of a station wagon for a trip. We'd have games and pillows and blankets back there, but no seat belts.

Shorter trips to the lake, we'd ride in the back of the truck, with the inner tubes.
Nowadays if you have more than two kids, you have to buy a vehicle with three rows of seats, in order to have room for car seats. Is it any wonder the birth rate is down?

Old 03-13-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Hah! - renting videos was a mind-blowing advancement. If a movie you liked was scheduled on TV, you made plans, weeks in advance. Because when it was gone, it was gone.
By the time High Noon aired, I was so tired of seeing the ads for it, I refused to watch it!

Old 03-13-2019, 03:29 PM

35 posts, read 24,192 times
The March of Dimes...a card they handed out at school that you filled with dimes.
Ipana toothpaste with Bucky Beaver.
Original Mickey Mouse Club, Captain Kangaroo.
Candy cigarettes.
Milk break at school.
Ordering stuff from the Sears and Wards catalogs.

Last edited by starbound; 03-13-2019 at 03:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement