Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2019, 05:47 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times

Advertisements

At age 9 getting up every morning at 4:30 AM, riding a bike to the newspaper station, delivering newspapers to 75 houses before getting home to Cheerios and off to school.

Saving $5 per week from that income and showing the bank deposit passbook every Saturday to a father that did not believe in handouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 06:04 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

Saving $5 per week from that income and showing the bank deposit passbook every Saturday to a father that did not believe in handouts.

Yes, the bank deposit passbook was a rite of passage where we lived. You got one starting around age 7 or so, and every week you'd see a line of kids at the bank waiting to deposit. It was fun to watch the total grow each week as the new deposit was stamped in. I think I still have my passbook, in fact. It was almost a diary because I still remember each of the withdrawals and what I bought (and saved up for).

Old 03-13-2019, 06:15 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Another thing that young people today wouldn't know anything would be prepaid calling cards.

You mean coins?

I remember when almost all dogs lived outside and nobody would have dreamed of picking up a warm steamy with only a Publix bag separating their hand from the fresh pudding. When did the dogs reprogram the humans?

Old 03-13-2019, 08:38 AM

119 posts, read 105,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonReece View Post
Having to go to blockbusters if you wanted to watch a movie.

I must be older than you: I remember baffling my young niece years ago, when I told her we had to see movies at a cinema, else wait for it to come on TV a year or two later. And then watch very quietly because you couldn't record or rewind or pause.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:44 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post

I remember when almost all dogs lived outside and nobody would have dreamed of picking up a warm steamy with only a Publix bag separating their hand from the fresh pudding. When did the dogs reprogram the humans?
There were no fences or leash laws so the dogs pooped in the alleys or vacant lots; never in their own back yards.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:46 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Thomas Guide maps, the paper edition. My kids laughed at me when I first gave to them, they just first learned how to drive then.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:06 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Booting a Digital Equipment PDP-8 from a punched paper tape and entering the RIM commands from front panel switches in octal to recover from a crash.

-circa 1972

Yeah. Having to toggle in the boot loader code on a PDP-8 was pretty funky. It's also bringing back the memory of Octal rather than Hex. The University had a DECSystem 10 mainframe that was the last new Octal machine I ever saw. I built a PDP-8 out of an AMD 2900 bit slice eval board as a semester project as an undergrad in maybe 1979.

A few years after that, a co-worker proudly dragged out a paper tape for a Model 33 teletype that played Jingle Bells.

I managed to avoid punch cards. I had glass tubes with primitive line editors on the University timeshare system as my first computer experience. Adventure already existed. The PDP-8 was already a toy. The Electrical Engineering department had PDP-11's and later some Unix VAXen.

My submission to the thread:
The card catalog in the library. In 2019, I'm so reliant on Google that I'd struggle remembering how to use a research library.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:08 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post
Radio was awesome back in the day. Remember Wolfman Jack and Dr.Demento? Recording music from the radio to my cassette tapes. Smoking sections in middle school. Suncreen really didn't exist while I was little, but women sure loved to slather on oil and fry in the sun! Hair conditioner was called "creme rinse" and it sucked. Having to constantly adjust the TV antennas.
I miss the days when listening to the radio was fun. Besides the radio shows, the music was a hoot. Splish Splash, Boney Maroney, Ahab The Arab, Bop Till You Drop, all stuff that put a smile on my face.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:13 AM

130 posts, read 74,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Condums behind the counter only sold by the Pharmacist.
Condoms in unique vending machines. Three for 50 cents. Usually found in gas station rest rooms

Old 03-13-2019, 09:20 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
At age 9 getting up every morning at 4:30 AM, riding a bike to the newspaper station, delivering newspapers to 75 houses before getting home to Cheerios and off to school.

Yep, I never got an allowance. I worked all summer from the time I was about 8, put the money in my own bank account, and had to budget my spending money to last until the next summer, plus make major purchases like a bicycle, record player, or car after I turned 16.

My parents handled food and clothing. Everything else was on me. If I wanted it, I could work for it like everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement