Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 12:45 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalHumanities2020 View Post
Yes, but the things people recommended were either completely negative, or on the level of low level janitorial positions. I guess if that's the norm. .
No...they were entry level work or ways to gain experience. Regardless of your background, your expertise in this field is limited. People are telling you what they'd tell anyone at any age looking to work in a field that is new to them. You have the luxury of not needing a paycheck which broadens your scope of possibilities.
[mod cut - personal attack]

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 03-28-2019 at 01:44 PM..

Old 03-28-2019, 01:27 PM

339 posts, read 171,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
No...they were entry level work or ways to gain experience. Regardless of your background, your expertise in this field is limited. People are telling you what they'd tell anyone at any age looking to work in a field that is new to them. You have the luxury of not needing a paycheck which broadens your scope of possibilities.

[mod cut - personal attack]
Limited? I guess you don't know what a freelance violist does? I've worked in this environment for decades.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 03-28-2019 at 01:45 PM..

Old 03-28-2019, 01:31 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
I just never expected people to automatically assume I'm some fragile, bored old gray head (as one poster put it), looking for "something to do." Therein lies the ageism. Kind of an interesting tell. I've been treated with veneration, so it was a shock. The underlying assumptions don't bear examining.
Uhh, perhaps because that's pretty much how you described yourself (absent the fragile) in your OP. To wit:

Quote:
Retired last year after teaching math in state university but getting bored. I am thinking about going to classes for audio recording. My son teaches at a school that offers a 30 hour program. Does anybody hire a person in their 70s? Just sitting around with nothing to do is boring. I'm taking piano lessons but you can only practice so much a day.

Old 03-28-2019, 01:36 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Limited? I guess you don't know what a freelance violist does? I've worked in this environment for decades.
Limited, yes. Otherwise why bother with taking a 30 hour class if you already know it all?

Old 03-28-2019, 01:41 PM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
Quote:
I wonder if posters would consider stopping this trivializing of my ambitions.
You said you wanted to work on audio production. Theater groups and musical groups use audio, I believe.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:09 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,057,039 times
Quote:
Retired last year after teaching math in state university but getting bored. I am thinking about going to classes for audio recording. My son teaches at a school that offers a 30 hour program. Does anybody hire a person in their 70s? Just sitting around with nothing to do is boring. I'm taking piano lessons but you can only practice so much a day.
Not to rain on your parade but is your hearing (at 70) good enough to support audio work of any kind?

If it test out to be good then have fun doing it.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:59 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Limited, yes. Otherwise why bother with taking a 30 hour class if you already know it all?

So you're calling him a know-it-all? His experience is not !imited. He never said anything more.

This thread is exemplary of a lot of the unpleasant sides of the human psyche.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:13 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
So you're calling him a know-it-all? His experience is not !imited. He never said anything more.

This thread is exemplary of a lot of the unpleasant sides of the human psyche.
Do enlighten us to your knowledge of the human psyche and what it has to do with this thread. Most of the folks on this retirement forum are retirees, some of whom have been downsized or otherwise forced into retirement by their age. More than a few have experience trying to find employment in a career they have decades of experience in, but have been unsuccessful due to ageist discrimination. Please explain how speaking from experience to the probability of finding a position in a very narrow career field, at an advanced age, with no job history in that field, is an example of the "unpleasant side of the human psyche". People are just trying to keep it real.

Old 03-28-2019, 04:04 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Do enlighten us to your knowledge of the human psyche and what it has to do with this thread. Most of the folks on this retirement forum are retirees, some of whom have been downsized or otherwise forced into retirement by their age. More than a few have experience trying to find employment in a career they have decades of experience in, but have been unsuccessful due to ageist discrimination. Please explain how speaking from experience to the probability of finding a position in a very narrow career field, at an advanced age, with no job history in that field, is an example of the "unpleasant side of the human psyche". People are just trying to keep it real.
You might consider trying to be a little kinder and not tying to win every petty argument just for the sake of winning.

Old 03-28-2019, 04:36 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
You might consider trying to be a little kinder and not tying to win every petty argument just for the sake of winning.
If you knew me, you would know that I am very kind. I (and others whom I have been posting with on this forum for about 8 or 9 years) are here trying to help others, and when necessary asking questions about things we ourselves don't know, but of which we would like a fuller understanding. No one is here to put others down. It's very frustrating when we are asked a question and some 3 or 4 pages later realize that we were given misleading, or simply not enough, information, and then are disparaged for trying to answer with the info we were given. It's doubly vexing when the individual accuses us of somehow denigrating them by suggesting volunteer work (oh, the horrors!), when they said their goal was to avoid BOREDOM. I, personally, fail to see how volunteerism is something negative. We are, for the most part, a bunch of folks in our 50's, 60's, and 70's, and more, who are happy to answer what questions we get with what knowledge we have.

I'm not sure what your connection with the OP is. I don't think I've seen you on the retirement forum before DigitalHumanities posted here, but he seems very capable of handling this discussion. I'm trying to keep it on topic, without bringing the "human psyche" into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement