Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 04:06 AM

16,317 posts, read 10,450,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
All the claims about the benefits of marijuana use look peculiarly similar to the claims of the benefits of tobacco smoking that so ever present in the media from 1920-1955.
What complete nonsense. The benefits of marijuana are well documented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 05:36 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,123,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
All the claims about the benefits of marijuana use look peculiarly similar to the claims of the benefits of tobacco smoking that so ever present in the media from 1920-1955.

Ha ha, true as far as the claim for relaxing people. I don't recall them saying tobacco would help cancer patients, but it would be interesting if they did.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:39 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,123,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
THC might have benefits. Smoking itself isn't healthy.

Yup, if it ever gets legalized here I think most people will choose the edibles.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:28 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,367,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
I have been subject to random drug testing since 1981 when I enlisted and then in my government job after military retirement.
I currently live in Alaska and recreational use is legal. I retired again last week and gave it a try several days ago.
I was warned that it would be quite potent to a first time user!!!! Oh yes it was!!

Anyway I thought I would try and was sort of hoping that I wouldn't care for it and then save myself some $$ on further purchases.

It kicked my butt, not very pleasant.

Tried again several days later with a much smaller amount, hmm.... not as bad but just not an effect that I enjoy.

I was hoping I could get the buzz of several drinks and not have the calories that come with a couple beers.
Oh well, guess I'll save my money and time and stick with an occasional pint of craft beer
Burn the extra calories with a longer workout in the morning.
What was it that was unpleasant? Paranoia? You need to know the wave is coming and learn to ride it, don't let it swamp you. Once you know that, it's easier. This is why many adults don't smoke, can't handle the wave. Tidal wave sometimes too.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:55 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,229,349 times
One way that Marijuana effects me is short term memory loss. Edibles in particular have that effect. It does help with sleep issues. When I'm driving after consuming pot the night before I depend on my SO to help me with directions. I had a difficult time getting to my daughters apartment where she has been living for years. I'm okay with that, but it can be a bit annoying. I'm retired so I don't really have to be anywhere, except appointments and such.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:59 AM

2 posts, read 1,923 times
Smile retired 420 user

now 64 I chose 420 after paying off my student loan. I was 20 I took a week off work and smoke in my own apt. loved it never drove. progressed at worked saved money, purchase my own home.traved.(all the things the ads tell u you can't do) never had a kid.Now retired with a healthy retirement acct. I still enjoy daily use of it although I am still looking for someone near by content and also enjoys . I not going to know if 420 dulls the brain or lack of social attachments??

Old 04-04-2019, 09:00 AM

587 posts, read 445,322 times
The edibles really help my husband to sleep at night. I like a gummy on the weekends with my glass of wine! We also use many of the creams and lotions which definitely help with aches and pains as we get older. There is a dispensary near my office that offers 20% off from 7-9 am each Wednesday. When I go there to get things I am never the oldest person waiting and I am in my late 50's. My 77 year old mother wants me to get something for my dad to try to help with his chronic back pain.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:05 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,049,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
For myself (not elderly) I have found it invaluable for dealing with the crippling sinus headaches I get when the weather changes. My company technically could give me a pee test, but I'm gambling they won't and on the remote chance they do, it's unlikely it will fall within 2 weeks of my bimonthly headaches.

My father has dementia and the only reason I don't give it to him is because I worry it could make his dementia worse. But honestly, I kinda wonder what the point is of denying an 87 year old man half an edible once in a while. I go back and forth with it.

Just yesterday, I was talking to a friend of mine who's husband has Alzeimers. I was asking how he was doing, and she said he's been doing better since she started administering a high quality canabis oil to him.

It's such a shame...he was/is such a great guy...but the Alzheimers does mean things to the brain. The disease had made him verbally abusive, anxious, and overall a difficult and unlikeable person. The canabis oil has stopped the verbal abuse and the anxiety, and he's overall, a more pleasant person to live with.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:08 AM

4,891 posts, read 2,692,102 times
back in my day we called it 'smoking dope'...now we call it 'medical marijuana'..I seem to remember it made me forgetful also..wait a minute..what were we talking about?

Old 04-04-2019, 11:59 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,604,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
back in my day we called it 'smoking dope'...now we call it 'medical marijuana'..I seem to remember it made me forgetful also..wait a minute..what were we talking about?

There's a reason it's called dope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement