Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 07:57 AM

515 posts, read 360,226 times

Advertisements

What a long strange trip it has been. Back in the 70's weed was $30 an OZ for years. You could just roll huge joints and pass them around at parties. I have always thought it was less destructive than alcohol. The routines by comedians are endless, the drunk guy being violent and the weed smokers watching cartoons. Sounds right to me. I am glad it is becoming legal. What a waste of time throwing people in jail for a plant that grows on mother earth. You can't grow Budweiser, but that is legal. It never made any sense. When weed is legal where I live, I'll break out my old pipe and take a toke or two. Maybe even throw on some 70's Aerosmith and remember those college daze.

Last edited by jmp61616; 04-05-2019 at 08:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 08:21 AM

938 posts, read 446,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
What a long strange trip it has been. Back in the 70's weed was $30 an OZ for years. You could just roll huge joints and pass them around at parties. I have always thought it was less destructive than alcohol. The routines by comedians are endless, the drunk guy being violent and the weed smokers watching cartoons. Sounds right to me. I am glad it is becoming legal. What a waste of time throwing people in jail for a plant that grows on mother earth. You can't grow Budweiser, but that is legal. It never made any sense. When weed is legal where I live, I'll break out my old pipe and take a toke or two. Maybe even throw on some 70's Aerosmith and remember those college daze.
The weed today is much stronger, much better. I pay $80 for a quarter, which lasts me about two and a half months, if not longer.
Except for friends or family, I don't share, like back in the day - too expensive.
You'd be amazed at how many strangers think they're entitled to a hit of my joint when they see me smoking outside a bar or restaurant. I tell them "Nah, I'm afraid of communicable diseases."

My feeling is: You're an adult. If you know you're going to want it, make sure you bring some with you.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
The weed today is much stronger, much better. I pay $80 for a quarter, which lasts me about two and a half months, if not longer.
Except for friends or family, I don't share, like back in the day - too expensive.
You'd be amazed at how many strangers think they're entitled to a hit of my joint when they see me smoking outside a bar or restaurant. I tell them "Nah, I'm afraid of communicable diseases."

My feeling is: You're an adult. If you know you're going to want it, make sure you bring some with you.

I agree, the weed today is much stronger and a hit or two is all you need. I remember smoking about 2 full joints back in the day to get the effect of 2 hits with today's weed. When it was cheap in the 70's it was fun to go to parties and give it away. Same with alcohol, the one's throwing the party bought the keg and it was free to everybody. I was shocked to go to a college party in the 90's and they were selling cups for a buck or two at the door - you had to pay for the cup to drink from the keg. Not cool in the 70's. Oh well, I'm glad things are changing. Nobody ever OD'ed on pot, but I know people that have died from alcohol. Now crank up the tunes!

Old 04-05-2019, 08:38 AM

938 posts, read 446,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
I agree, the weed today is much stronger and a hit or two is all you need. I remember smoking about 2 full joints back in the day to get the effect of 2 hits with today's weed. When it was cheap in the 70's it was fun to go to parties and give it away. Same with alcohol, the one's throwing the party bought the keg and it was free to everybody. I was shocked to go to a college party in the 90's and they were selling cups for a buck or two at the door - you had to pay for the cup to drink from the keg. Not cool in the 70's. Oh well, I'm glad things are changing. Nobody ever OD'ed on pot, but I know people that have died from alcohol. Now crank up the tunes!

Old 04-05-2019, 08:40 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
Denial, denial. You're putting smoke in your lungs. Burning tobacco, paper, rubber, forest fire, toast. It's all blackens your lungs.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:23 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Denial, denial. You're putting smoke in your lungs. Burning tobacco, paper, rubber, forest fire, toast. It's all blackens your lungs.
I agree that inhaling any smoke into your lungs isn't healthy, but taking a few hits multiple days per week is a far cry from smoking a pack of cigarettes per day.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:01 PM

3,225 posts, read 1,605,586 times
I don’t know if anyone has done any studies, but “vaping”, which heats but does not burn seems to be gentler on the lungs and throat, and creates less smell.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:06 PM

305 posts, read 241,429 times
Well Ken I have only done personal studies, It is gentler on my lungs and throat and fast acting. I plan on doing some more research now that Spring is here. You can never do enough research. Now that I am retired I have much more time to research topics like this. I am heading to Colorado soon. I let everyone knows how it works out. (hint usually pretty smooth) heheh

Old 04-05-2019, 12:11 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post

You don't have to smoke it. In fact, I suspect most retirees I know wouldn't wish to smoke it anyway, due to the smell.

Re: the earlier comment on sharing. That's not really an issue in my community (although I suppose it might make for an interesting meeting with my cancer support group). I think most of the retirees here would consider it something to do in the privacy of your home. We're mostly taking it medicinally, not for recreation, which might be why. It just seems like something to do while sitting on your own back porch, watching the birds or listening to music. Or both.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:57 PM

The lung thing is 100 times better than the old days. In the 70's you smoked stuff that was "lumbo" or Colombian. You had to smoke full joints to get high. Now this is basically a hand rolled cigarette of weed. And cough you did. People tried to get better hits by using a bong, which may or may not have been better. The point is you smoked a lot of it to get high. Flash forward to today, you smoke one or two hits and you are done. A joint? You would never finish it. So today you smoke less, and that has to be better for the lungs. And it has to be better than a pack of camels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement