Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 07:13 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Could someone enlighten me please? What is OLLI? Never heard of it, couldn't find it on GOOGLE.
It is an education program geared toward those who are 55+.

Here is a link to the one in Tucson:

https://olli.arizona.edu/

Case Western Reserve University has a very similar program in Cleveland:

https://case.edu/lifelonglearning/courses

When I was selecting a retirement location, I looked at the various OLLI and other lifetime learning institutes. What I have generally found is that most of the programs are somewhat subsidized by a private foundation and one of the local universities. Some even offer membership that allows seniors to use university libraries and fitness facilities at a very reduced charges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 07:38 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Never heard of it. A lot of things don't make it to my neck of the woods.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:53 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I've often thought about teaching a few classes over there. What's involved in becoming an instructor?
To be honest I don't know, my experience was probably unique. First of all I wasn't really the instructor, but rather a liaison, as I worked as the general manager for an organization with well-known classical musicians. And our musicians were the presenters/instructors, I just introduced them and set up the "course." Anyway, the Jax OLLI reached out to us for several years and we finally said sure. It fit into our community mission so from then on, whenever it worked for our schedule I would just email them and they'd create the class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Never heard of it. A lot of things don't make it to my neck of the woods.
I could be wrong but to me it seems like it's just another "continuing education" department, albeit perhaps better standardized and organized, and offering better value at times. I think there are usually plenty of continuing education opportunities at most universities and colleges.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:40 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
It is an education program geared toward those who are 55+.

Here is a link to the one in Tucson:

https://olli.arizona.edu/

Case Western Reserve University has a very similar program in Cleveland:

https://case.edu/lifelonglearning/courses

When I was selecting a retirement location, I looked at the various OLLI and other lifetime learning institutes. What I have generally found is that most of the programs are somewhat subsidized by a private foundation and one of the local universities. Some even offer membership that allows seniors to use university libraries and fitness facilities at a very reduced charges.
Thank you. I am familiar with Case Western's program.Tri-C also has a similar one.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:59 AM

2,597 posts, read 2,290,447 times
OLLI is not just continuing education, it’s a learning community. Our OLLI has Special Interest Groups as well as social activities. I have made many new friendships at OLLI. But each one is a little different. Here is a list of all the universities that offer classes.

The Bernard Osher Foundation | List of Institutes

Old 04-21-2019, 09:21 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,494,854 times
Thank you OP for posting this! University of Miami has this program and I will be looking into it. Since I live in Miami, I'd like to learn some Spanish, I don't mind people speaking a different language around me, but I'd like to understand some of what they are saying.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:43 AM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Thank you OP for posting this! University of Miami has this program and I will be looking into it. Since I live in Miami, I'd like to learn some Spanish, I don't mind people speaking a different language around me, but I'd like to understand some of what they are saying.
Years ago I would go to Miami twice a month. I figured out that it would be useful to learn some Spanish. I bought some Spanish lessons on tape and would play them while driving or on a Walkman when flying. I ultimately used what I learned more in Mexico than in Miami, but it was useful.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:49 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Could someone enlighten me please? What is OLLI? Never heard of it, couldn't find it on GOOGLE.
Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, supported by the Bernard Osher Foundation.

Also, see Find an Osher Institute Near You.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:05 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,208,401 times
How is this different than taking a regular class at the school? Cheaper? Different subjects? Or just no grades?

Old 04-21-2019, 10:20 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,494,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
How is this different than taking a regular class at the school? Cheaper? Different subjects? Or just no grades?
I like this idea because I'm older and would like to meet people my age, not just younger people who are typically in college. Nothing wrong with younger people....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement