Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 03:42 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times

Advertisements

Years ago I had some hair loss during stressful divorce. The product Nioxin worked for me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 09:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
I lose a handful of hair every day. During serious illnesses it is evenworse. But strangely I'm not getting bald. I had beautiful and full hair up until I was in my 40s. Menopause and the loss of estrogen are why most women start to lose their hair. Doc said try biotin. All it did for me was give me nails of steel! No change to hair. Now 72 I wonder when I start looking like my grandmother did when she died. White hair makes thin hair look thinner. I'm still salt and pepper.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:09 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Maid View Post
I was very sick last year and all the medications had me losing hair like crazy . I started taking biotin daily and I added a shampoo with keratin. My hair is so much thicker now and very curly .

Biotin helped me regain a full head of hair also.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:39 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,135,583 times
For years, I've had very bad alopecia over most of the center of my scalp. I have more bald area than area with hair, but fortunately so far I've been able to comb the surrounding the long hair I have over the age bald area. When I wear a ponytail no one knows there's no hair in the center. (And my temples are really thinning.)

The dermatologist never had any real hope of arresting it, and certainly not having my hair grow back. Some treatments would have been painful (steroid scalp injections) -- and all were expensive, and not likely to work.

I've already decided if there's a time where I can't cover up the balding, I'll just wear wigs, and keep on moving on.

Years ago, I went through the emotional distress of accepting it. I actually was quite vain about my hair. It REALLY taught me a lesson about what's really important health-wise and what's not. I learned......It's only hair.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:35 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
My hair falls out like crazy. Luckily I had extremely thick hair when I was younger. It's a benefit now, but I am worried what I will look like in ten years or so. Handfuls fall out when I blow dry or wash my hair.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:17 AM

497 posts, read 423,106 times
I am getting less hair now. Part of the problem is thyroid. I wash almost daily with shampoo that has low sulphate and condition the ends of my hair. Washing more frequently and brushing the hair keep your hair/scalp clean so new growth will happen.

I guess taking vitamins would help a bit.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:59 AM

1,013 posts, read 725,949 times
My hair began thinning in my 60’s. I’ve tried the usual—biotin, keratinique(sp?), thickening shampoo, rogaine for women. Nothing made a difference. My grandma and mom had the same thing happen so I think it’s just hereditary for me.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:04 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,051,383 times
I began noticing thinning (wider parts) on top about six months ago (I'm in my late 70s) which means it's been probably happening gradually and I didn't notice it.

I have fine straight hair and so I do worry about what will happen going forward.

Can't use any products on my hair except a fragrance-free shampoo. No conditioners, mousses, sprays, etc. Never colored it. I went through chemo in 2010, my hair first grew back in spectacular Helen-Mirren-silver soft curls (I was thrilled, lol), then four months later my usual mousy-brown-with-gray straight hair came back. I never colored my hair, and my last "body perm" was back in the late 1980s probably. All my life I have had naturally straight hair but at least it was always thick.

I've been on a very restricted diet for the past 5 years, so am probably missing some nutrients etc for sure. Gut can't tolerate multivitamins though. I may try taking some pantothenic acid and/or biotin separately though. If the touchy tummy allows, of course. That's the permanent ongoing issue for anything I ingest.

I figure that if/when worse comes to worst, I still have a stack of really pretty cotton voile headscarves from my chemo days. And hats.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:50 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
There is an OTC version of Rogaine for women, I would think that's your first best step. It's OTC, so unless you say drink it, you can't do any real harm (else it would be prescription). It's not very expensive.

Although checking thyroid and any other medical issues would be a good idea too.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:53 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,200,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Biotin helped me regain a full head of hair also.

How much did you take for this purpose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement