Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 02:35 PM

705 posts, read 562,455 times

Advertisements

We have Cluster mailboxes and it looks like someone tried to pry our door open and it's no longer able to close/lock. I called the Post Office, they said it's up to us to replace or repair it, got the same response from HOA. I have been researching to see if it's even possible get a new door or box to go in the system, so far no luck. Any ideas?

I tried to find a picture online that look ours, they look like this What to Know About Cluster Mailboxes | 702 PREMIER PROPERTIES | LAS VEGAS REAL ESTATE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 03:18 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,521,852 times
Sounds like a cluster!

Look inside on the back of the door for a manufacturer name. If not there look for a tag/serial number somewhere on the entire unit. Look underneath too. If found contact them for a new door and lock.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:27 PM

150 posts, read 143,356 times
Try Bommer Industries in SC

Old 05-02-2019, 03:37 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,781,486 times
I'm amazed at this. Several have been broken into in my neighborhood and surrounding neighborhoods over the last few years. The last break-ins were about a month ago. Usually the back panels are pried off but occasionally the locks themselves have been compromised. The USPS has always provided new cluster boxes which are an upgraded version over the ones which are shown in the photo. The new ones are supposed to be more secure but my mail carrier said just yesterday that they can be broken into as well. Many of us still have the ones shown. I wouldn't even know where to start if we had to replace or repair our own.

When I thought I'd lost my entire set of mailbox keys (long weird story I'll spare you) I had to go to the main USPS facility for my town to order new ones. The fee was $50 which was for a new lock for my slot and corresponding new keys. I found my errant keys the next day so returned to the PO and received a refund.

I'm in California in a Del Webb community, if that's of any help. Please let us know what happens next . . . I really want to know how this is resolved.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:40 PM

73 posts, read 45,278 times
Wow. They are not cheap.

https://www.usmailsupply.com/

Old 05-02-2019, 04:08 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,660,299 times
Deceiving title. I expected to see something like gossiping at the mail boxes.

What does retirement communities have to do with this? I had a box like that over 20 years ago in an all age community.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:12 PM

705 posts, read 562,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I'm amazed at this. Several have been broken into in my neighborhood and surrounding neighborhoods over the last few years. The last break-ins were about a month ago. Usually the back panels are pried off but occasionally the locks themselves have been compromised. The USPS has always provided new cluster boxes which are an upgraded version over the ones which are shown in the photo. The new ones are supposed to be more secure but my mail carrier said just yesterday that they can be broken into as well. Many of us still have the ones shown. I wouldn't even know where to start if we had to replace or repair our own.

When I thought I'd lost my entire set of mailbox keys (long weird story I'll spare you) I had to go to the main USPS facility for my town to order new ones. The fee was $50 which was for a new lock for my slot and corresponding new keys. I found my errant keys the next day so returned to the PO and received a refund.

I'm in California in a Del Webb community, if that's of any help. Please let us know what happens next . . . I really want to know how this is resolved.
I found this online.

Post Office
Although in some individual cases, a post office has stepped in when asked to replace or repair a community’s mailbox, this is generally not the case. The Postal Service will likely not provide assistance in repairing a cluster mailbox; in fact, their official rule book states that the “purchase, installation, and maintenance of mail receptacles are the responsibility of the customer.” So, while residents or an HOA board can appeal to their local office to fix the problem, it’s definitely not their best bet for a swift resolution.

HOA or Residents?
An HOA’s Covenants, Conditions, & Restrictions (CC&Rs) document will often state whether the responsibility and expense falls to the association, or to the homeowners, in the event that a cluster mailbox needs repair or replacement.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:21 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
I'm learning that HOAs make decisions by the seat of their pants. They don't know where to get a replacement so they make it the homeowners responsibility. I sincerely doubt there is something in any official document that you were given when you moved in.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:29 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,781,486 times
Wow. This is the first I've heard. Maybe my city and/or all the subdivisions and the USPS have an agreement. All of them in the surrounding neighborhoods have been replaced or repaired by the USPS too. I've learned something new from C-D once again. By the way, this is the first time I've ever dealt with cluster mail boxes. I've either had my own box-on-a-post or a PO box at the actual PO when I lived rurally.

I just looked at the site for replacement boxes. Our size is $1235! I can just imagine my neighbors attitudes when we all have to chip in for that due to some random thieves. Not to mention finding someone to remove the old one and install the new one. That must be a chore since it's bolted into a concrete slab. And then there's the logistics of getting the PO up to speed with the new keys.

Just had a thought . . . maybe the potential cost is built into our HOA fees. That would actually make some sense.

I really feel for you. What a pain.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:41 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,264,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
We have Cluster mailboxes and it looks like someone tried to pry our door open and it's no longer able to close/lock. I called the Post Office, they said it's up to us to replace or repair it, got the same response from HOA. I have been researching to see if it's even possible get a new door or box to go in the system, so far no luck. Any ideas?

I tried to find a picture online that look ours, they look like this What to Know About Cluster Mailboxes | 702 PREMIER PROPERTIES | LAS VEGAS REAL ESTATE
Since you have a HOA, it probably has a section in the rules denoting what type of mailbox you can use. If it doesn’t, just pick out some ugly outlandish neon pink box and nail it up. I betcha someone will offer assistance then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement