Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 10:53 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times

Advertisements

Only if I absolutely have to - I normally wake up around 7-8, so if I have an 8am appointment (or a flight out at 6am to catch a connecting flight), I set the alarm. The dog used to be our alarm, but as she's gotten older she sleeps in.

Plus I used to set the alarm to a news station and listen to the morning news, but now I hate all the news stations with pretty much equal fervor. Now I set the alarm to play my choice of playlists out of my music library.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 03:09 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Gee whiz! That's the time when I'm going to bed, although sometimes I don't hit the sack until 6am. Being retired, I love being up all night long! When the sun rises, I'm off to bed!
Yeah I am a night owl myself. It will be interesting to see if I remain one in retirement.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:07 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
I retired in early October 2017 and still set the alarm every night on my iPhone because I don't trust my internal clock. Which is pretty much idiotic, but old habits die hard. Only thing I really need to get up for in the AM is church on Sunday. What I should do is try going a week without setting the alarm, and see what happens.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:15 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
Only when on vacation or getting ready for a flight.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:31 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I retired in early October 2017 and still set the alarm every night on my iPhone because I don't trust my internal clock. Which is pretty much idiotic, but old habits die hard. Only thing I really need to get up for in the AM is church on Sunday. What I should do is try going a week without setting the alarm, and see what happens.
Oscar Wilde: Punctuality is the thief of all time!

Old 05-22-2019, 07:23 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,865,089 times
I need my alarm clock because I like to stay up until midnight or so, but hate to get up late. Need to change my habits.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:37 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
I need my alarm clock because I like to stay up until midnight or so, but hate to get up late. Need to change my habits.
I like to stay up fairly late, too, 11:30 pm to midnightish. Late night is much quieter than other times, as if the world has faded away. No interruptions from anything or anybody.

But I also hate to get up late except in winter, because it feels like I have lost a third of the day.

The solution would be easy if only I thrived on 6 to 7 hrs of sleep. I need more than that.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:30 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Is there anything more comfortable than habits! If you want to end a habit, you kick it down the stairs one step at a time.

My current comfy habit: I leash walk my ferret for an hour and a half, and around 11-12 midnight, I go outside on my patio, and I watch DVD's (since I don't watch TV) while playing solitude, then I read a magazine until 4am, then come inside and have supper and spend an hour or 2 on the Internet. That brings me to around 6am, sun comes up, I go outside for my final smoke of the day, take 2 Tylenaol PM's and 5 mg. of Melatonin and to sleep I go.

Now that I'm retired I can give into my night owl tendencies full blast!

Old 05-23-2019, 05:43 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Normally I don't set an alarm clock, but on occasion I do when I have a doctor's appointment. For some reason, the eye doctor loves to schedule me for 7 am.
Why don't you reschedule? I almost never schedule any appointments before 9:30 or 10:00 am. The only exception is when the doctor's schedule is booked out months ahead, and I have an urgent need, and that's the only available time slot. Otherwise, when they suggest an early time, I just ask if they have anything at a later hour within a week or two.

I use my phone or Alexa to wake if I have something I need to do before 9:00 am. I usually wake up by 7:30, but I like to have an alarm in that instance, just to be safe. Occasionally I'll be really OUT until 8:30 am!

Old 05-23-2019, 08:42 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Why don't you reschedule? I almost never schedule any appointments before 9:30 or 10:00 am. The only exception is when the doctor's schedule is booked out months ahead, and I have an urgent need, and that's the only available time slot.
No kidding. I won’t be scheduling ANYTHING before 10am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement