Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 11:07 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times

Advertisements

Our summer is Jan-Feb-March and I decided it is too hot and humid for me. So we are going to the coast of Valencia, Spain which is the same latitude as SoCal and similar weather. 60s and 70s. Perfect. A beachfront 2 bdrm apt. we found for about $1,200 a month. We can rent our place out to snowbirds for the same amt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 04:54 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
I'm thinking of escaping...from Alaska. We've had record temperatures this month, including the first time I've ever seen temps in the 90s in Alaska. My choices are to invest in A/C, which virtually no Alaska homes have, or go somewhere on the coast, where it tends to be cooler.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:46 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm thinking of escaping...from Alaska. We've had record temperatures this month, including the first time I've ever seen temps in the 90s in Alaska. My choices are to invest in A/C, which virtually no Alaska homes have, or go somewhere on the coast, where it tends to be cooler.
When I went to AK in 2004, temps in Juneau supposedly hit 95 degrees. The heat spell lasted about 10 days, but we were kayak camping, so it was not as hot. The stores ran out of AC units, from what we heard.

It was a nice break from gray drizzle.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:51 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
It’s been hot here in the Four Corners area (nothing unusual, though). We don’t take off in the way the OP describes. We escape by heading to high mountain locales, or by getting on the water. I love to practice rolling my kayak when things get hot. Today, I snorkeled and was chilled when I got out 1.5 hrs later, even wearing a wetsuit.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:48 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnkw View Post
My in-laws did that. Miami to a cabin near Ashville every summer. There were quite a few cabins owned by Floridians on their mountain.
Weren't they worried about damage to their house from flooding or hurricanes? Isn't that a natural disaster area?

I live in the south and wouldn't mind going up north for the summer (if I could afford it). But I couldn't leave my house unattended. Preparations for hurricanes need to be made, if one is in the area. Or tropical storms. Or just flooding from hurricanes in other areas. Not to mention possible theft.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:53 PM

1,627 posts, read 1,711,766 times
When I lived in Florida, I rented a house in Chicago for the month of September. Beautiful there, still hot and humid in FL.

Now I live in Las Vegas. The low humidity makes it more tolerable, but it's pretty darn hot. I have family in Chicago and friends in Michigan. I think I'll spend some time there next summer.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:19 PM

813 posts, read 1,133,545 times
It is winter here and temp is always 60-64, Summer is always 75-83. No heat,no AC. Open the windows once a year and close them 5 months later.
No screens/No bugs!

Old 07-18-2019, 10:21 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
To answer the question generally, I would say that a good number of my neighbors here in Southern Arizona sold their main home up north in Michigan or Minnesota when they moved here and kept their summer cottages. Most leave Arizona at the beginning of May, get the cabin ready for the summer, and spend significant time with the grandchildren all summer. After Labor Day, they start working to shut down the cabin and get here around October 1st.

There are any number of places "up north" or in the mountains that market themselves as summer getaways for Arizona residents. Perhaps the largest is Utah State University and their summer residence program. The are similar products at St. John's in Minnesota and at the University of Minnesota - Suluth.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:25 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I have friends in Phoenix who own an RV. Every summer they take off for cooler places. They have been on the California coast for the last 6 weeks. Now they are driving up the coast, over to Glacier NP, then back home. They love the monsoon storms and they always come home when the monsoons start.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:34 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Due to wife's health we leave AZ and go to MN during the hottest parts of summer. Since we have arrived 6 weeks ago it's rained here in MN almost every other day. The last storm 2 days ago produced 5+ inches of rain in just 24 hours, 80% humidity and heat index of 105. Phoenix at 110 and 18% humidity is far more comfortable. There's been over 20 inches of rain in MN the past 6 weeks.
Our neighbors from FL say that being in MN is as bad as what they left in FL a few weeks ago.
Reports from all over the Midwest and most eastern areas are reporting lot's of rain, high humidity, tornados, hail storms, flooding, etal. Phoenix has it made by these standards.
I live in northeast TN. I also lived in Iowa for a year and Indiana for three years. Iowa, like Minnesota, is some other level of weather hell. Storms. A blast furnace in the summer. Incessant wind. Arctic cold in the winter.

I bailed out - couldn't take it. Indiana was better, but not as bad. We're not due to get over 90 this weekend and there are lots of showers. Summer is far better here than the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement