Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 01:56 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I did a contract job once which consisted of posing as a middle-aged adult child looking to place my mother in a specific for-profit CCRC. So I know quite a bit about how they work.

I also resolved privately never to enter into one. I'm not crazy about putting my well-being into the hands of an entity that is keen on cost-cutting to enhance their bottom line.

About the only control you have as a resident is to move out and claim a refund on your entrance fee, which can be a million dollars or more. In Palo Alto a resident sued Vi Living -- the very CCRC involved in my research -- claiming the entrance fees were being diverted to the parent company rather than being placed in a reserve fund, as required by law.

At the time, units were going for $4k to $6k a month.
I just located some interesting reading related to that case from June of this year,

"AMICI CURIAE BRIEF BY CALIFORNIA ADVOCATES FOR NURSING HOME REFORM AND CALIFORNIA CONTINUING CARE RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION, INC. IN SUPPORT OF PLAINTIFFS/APPELLANTS"

Here's the 32-page pdf:

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...riae+Brief.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 04:17 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
We preferred to buy our own condo in a 55+. It is actually a duplex with a private enclosed patio/garden area. There are more young people here and more active activities. AND, our condo has doubled in value in 5 years.
A very good option also for many.

Quote:
We prefer to choose our own doctors.
I have not heard that you cannot have your own Doctors in a CCRC. Provided you are still mobile enough to travel to the Doctor yourself, or arrange for a Medical Transport to your Doctor, or have a Doctor who will make house calls.

Quote:
My aunt bought into a CCRC , was happy there, and lived to be 95. None of her kids lived close by though, whereas ours are close.
Both our children live out of State and have no interest in returning to this area. They have never lived more than 4 years in any one location so it is fruitless for us to move to be near them. No other reliable family members locally either. Hence, the attractiveness of CCRCs to us.

Quote:
My husband is early dementia now and will require Memory Care at some point, which I'm not sure a CCRC would provide.
Many do. The availability of multiple stages of on-site living arrangements and care is one of the drawing features of CCRCs

Old 10-01-2019, 07:27 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
We preferred to buy our own condo in a 55+. It is actually a duplex with a private enclosed patio/garden area. There are more young people here and more active activities. AND, our condo has doubled in value in 5 years. We prefer to choose our own doctors. My aunt bought into a CCRC , was happy there, and lived to be 95. None of her kids lived close by though, whereas ours are close. My husband is early dementia now and will require Memory Care at some point, which I'm not sure a CCRC would provide.
So very sorry to hear about your husband.

Most CCCR's will provide memory care, and assisted living. That's the point of CCRC'S - a continuum of care for your senior years. But you need to be capable of living independently for a certain period of time to get into one. Those already needing those levels of additional care are (typically) not eligible.

And you do choose your own doctors.

We already live in a community that includes all the landscaping, lawn care, etc. It is not age restricted but i
The homeowners are 95% 50+. Our neighbors and friends are struggling with these issues and decisions. It's become quite clear that aging in place is difficult to manage when/if your health begins to fail - physically OR mentally. For somebody without children nearby, it's nearly impossible. We have no kids, and no close relatives on whom to rely. Hence, a CCRC does make sense for us. (Plus, we don't really give a rip about RE appreciation beyond providing funds for OUR needs.)

Old 10-01-2019, 07:37 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post

I have not heard that you cannot have your own Doctors in a CCRC. Provided you are still mobile enough to travel to the Doctor yourself, or arrange for a Medical Transport to your Doctor, or have a Doctor who will make house calls.
All of the CCRC's we've looked at include free transportation to doctor appointments. Transportation services are something that we're looking at VERY catefully. I'm only 63 but already unable to drive at night. Ultimately, Uber/Lyft will be my best friends.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:46 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
We preferred to buy our own condo in a 55+. It is actually a duplex with a private enclosed patio/garden area. There are more young people here and more active activities. AND, our condo has doubled in value in 5 years. We prefer to choose our own doctors. My aunt bought into a CCRC , was happy there, and lived to be 95. None of her kids lived close by though, whereas ours are close. My husband is early dementia now and will require Memory Care at some point, which I'm not sure a CCRC would provide.
The local CCRC that our friends live in does not provide memory care. Not sure what happens if they develop dementia/Alzheimers. But none of the units are locked, so at some point, it would be an impossible situation.

Memory care is quite expensive in our area due to the necessity of locked doors and the increased staff.

Though I would rather live in our home, choose our own doctors, and eat the food that we like, we decided not to buy into a 55+ community several years ago because I would miss seeing children about.

I think it would be depressing to never see children around, never hear them laugh.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:24 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I think it would be depressing to never see children around, never hear them laugh.

We have lived in our subdivision home for 38+ years. Original buyers are aging out and young families are moving in, However, other than Halloween we almost never see or hear children! They are all indoors, sucking up the A/C in the summer or the heat in the winter, playing video games and other electronic activities. The days of outside football or baseball games in backyards, or building snowmen or snow forts, ended decades ago. There is a huge park at the end of our street where the Spring and Autumn soccer league games bring out dozens of children and their parents - for maybe one hour per week.

Because of this absence of the sights and sounds children in suburbia where many children do live, the thought of a 55+ community or CCRC, where no children live, is not unpalatable to me.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:27 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Quote:
The local CCRC that our friends live in does not provide memory care. Not sure what happens if they develop dementia/Alzheimers. But none of the units are locked, so at some point, it would be an impossible situation.

Memory care is quite expensive in our area due to the necessity of locked doors and the increased staff.

Though I would rather live in our home, choose our own doctors, and eat the food that we like, we decided not to buy into a 55+ community several years ago because I would miss heyseeing children about.

ildren a

I would never live someplace where children are not welcome either. We have children visiting quite often in our community, including our grands. We have a 2 hour time period every day when children can and do swim in our pools with their parent and/or grandparent. They are also welcome at out potlucks, musicals, and other activities. One reason we moved here from our house is that everyone else on the block left for work or school each day, and we were left in a "ghost block". It's great that there are so many options for retired people now!

Last edited by Harpaint; 10-01-2019 at 08:58 AM..

Old 10-01-2019, 09:20 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
The ones run by established churches seem to be the most stable. However, the cost to buy in is still substantial, several hundred thousand dollars depending on facility and age, and the monthly fee is often significant.

If it doesn't work out. Say you don't care for the new staff people, or the new management approach, or it is just not the right fit for you, I don't think you get your money back.

Marriott runs a number of CCRC across the country. They have two deposit options. One is 90% refundable after you leave, once others have put down their deposits.
That’s why monthly pay over buy in is gaining in popularity. Leave when you want. Buy in requires either your unit or a similar to be sold to get your money back.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:27 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
The typical target age for CCRC entry is 80ish. The average residents age is in the 80’s. Folks get serious about entry usually around 75 plus depending on health!

Old 10-01-2019, 03:37 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
We have lived in our subdivision home for 38+ years. Original buyers are aging out and young families are moving in, However, other than Halloween we almost never see or hear children! They are all indoors, sucking up the A/C in the summer or the heat in the winter, playing video games and other electronic activities. The days of outside football or baseball games in backyards, or building snowmen or snow forts, ended decades ago. There is a huge park at the end of our street where the Spring and Autumn soccer league games bring out dozens of children and their parents - for maybe one hour per week.

Because of this absence of the sights and sounds children in suburbia where many children do live, the thought of a 55+ community or CCRC, where no children live, is not unpalatable to me.
Quote:
ildren a

I would never live someplace where children are not welcome either. We have children visiting quite often in our community, including our grands. We have a 2 hour time period every day when children can and do swim in our pools with their parent and/or grandparent. They are also welcome at out potlucks, musicals, and other activities. One reason we moved here from our house is that everyone else on the block left for work or school each day, and we were left in a "ghost block". It's great that there are so many options for retired people now!
Our neighborhood is full of children. Track team is running by every afternoon, kids playing in the backyard, at the pool, at the playground, riding their bikes around all summer. Our next door neighbors have a one year old, the folks in back have boysthat are in the yard most afternoons playing.

There are kids walking by the house right now.

Sorry the kids in your neighborhood are indoors so much.

I will admit that having a pool with a two hour time slot for children sounds wonderful. Much as I love the sound of children's voices, for some reason the minute they get within 10 ft of the pool, they scream and continue screaming for hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement