Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 04:00 AM

7,219 posts, read 9,379,108 times

Advertisements

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/11/2...-funeralocity/

"Consumers can shop online for everything from tubes of toothpaste to family homes, from rides to the airport to the flights when they get there.

They can even order a Thanksgiving dinner from DoorDash, Grubhub or UberEats, have it delivered and know down to the penny what it will cost them.

And yet when it comes to one of the more expensive purchases consumers will make, a funeral for a loved one, there’s a huge void.

“Silicon Valley is not in the mindset of dealing with death,” said Ed Michael Reggie, CEO and founder of Funeralocity.com."

"The funeral industry remains highly fragmented and the vast majority of funeral homes still don’t post their price information online, Reggie said.

The Federal Trade Commission requires that every funeral home provide price information over the phone and detailed price breakouts for potential clients visiting in person."

"Direct cremation, which skips the memorial services, is the lowest cost option and is one that is increasingly popular in Denver.

A direct cremation averages $1,719 in metro Denver, close to the statewide average of $1,687. Nationally, a direct cremation costs $2,124."

This business plan of on-line funeral preparations follows the disintermediation model of internet businesses. Are you ready?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 06:19 AM

5,261 posts, read 6,200,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/11/2...-funeralocity/

"Consumers can shop online for everything from tubes of toothpaste to family homes, from rides to the airport to the flights when they get there.

They can even order a Thanksgiving dinner from DoorDash, Grubhub or UberEats, have it delivered and know down to the penny what it will cost them.

And yet when it comes to one of the more expensive purchases consumers will make, a funeral for a loved one, there’s a huge void.

“Silicon Valley is not in the mindset of dealing with death,” said Ed Michael Reggie, CEO and founder of Funeralocity.com."

"The funeral industry remains highly fragmented and the vast majority of funeral homes still don’t post their price information online, Reggie said.

The Federal Trade Commission requires that every funeral home provide price information over the phone and detailed price breakouts for potential clients visiting in person."

"Direct cremation, which skips the memorial services, is the lowest cost option and is one that is increasingly popular in Denver.

A direct cremation averages $1,719 in metro Denver, close to the statewide average of $1,687. Nationally, a direct cremation costs $2,124."

This business plan of on-line funeral preparations follows the disintermediation model of internet businesses. Are you ready?

Morbid questioning for a Sunday morning, but I did have this conversation with a few close friends a few years ago.

We had been discussing outside of the box ideas for future businesses.

We all came to the conclusion that this was a niche business that could become quite large if marketed properly.

In our area the price fluctuates between $1500 and $3000 for a no frills cremation.

Trends are changing along with the social and religious stigmatism that go with cremations.

Growing up funerals were a big part of traditional family customs along with having family plots in the local cemetery.

The funeral industry is changing and opening a one stop, one price crematorium is going to take some creativity, but I really think it's time has come and and although it would require possibly the networking of current funeral homes to possibly pre-sell no frills cremation policy's it could take off.

Again, the big part of this would be organizing a network of funeral homes across the USA in major cities to agree to an honored upon set price and allow consumers to pre purchase these cremations with a promise to lock in the price once paid.

Old 11-24-2019, 06:28 AM

12,064 posts, read 10,318,082 times
We have already priced funerals.

I don't find it morbid. After having to bury parents - you learn some things. Thankfully theirs were prepaid and all set to go. What a relief. We just had to pick out flowers and photos. Oh and clothing.

There are some cultural factors though. Our priest is from Africa and he is shocked about this preplanning and paying thing.

In his eyes, the more you spend on a parental funeral, the more it shows your love.....we told him - nope not here! LOL

Old 11-24-2019, 09:12 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,241,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

Beyond ready. And if you're keeping score, I am another one who doesn't find the topic morbid.

I have no close relatives any longer; and, therefore, I wanted to get my (dead?) ducks in a row regarding end-of-the-line plans. None of the web sites I consulted gave prices online, though some threw out a ballpark figure. OK, sure...but what's in the ballpark. Not enough specifics.

Phone calls did not whip up much enthusiasm or information. And in the end I had to visit several places. This wouldn't have been a major bother, but I am disabled enough that the physical getting around was very uncomfortable.

So, I really would have appreciated being able to do it online. And since mine is a bare-bones affair: I supply the corpse, you supply the firewood and my executor will bring a plastic bag from Eureka Market it could have been so easy online.

Next time.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,800 posts, read 58,310,542 times
I prefer direct burial or cremation under $1000, BTDT more than a few times. (Last time was $732)

Funerals.coop has some good links / information.

For myself it will be free, direct burial at home. (Legal in some states)

Finish the job and sell the backhoe at the estate auction.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:09 AM

14,287 posts, read 14,831,134 times
My wife donated her body to the SC College of Medicine. When she died the family came to the house and we said our goodbyes. They remove the body within two hours of you calling them. You have the option of them cremating the body and returning the ashes at the end one year or they will dispose of the body. We chose they dispose of the remains. They have a Memorial Service each year for those that donated the year before. They also have a Memorial Garden dedicated to those that donated. Many will have a Memorial Service shortly after the death. I intend on doing the same thing.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:23 AM

7,279 posts, read 4,648,913 times
My husband is a veteran so we both will be interred at our local veteran’s cemetery. You have a choice of burial or cremation plot. The veteran is free and spouse costs 400. They also supply the plaque. Retired veterans will do a free service for the veteran. You do have to do the paperwork in advance. We can be cremated right now for 500.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:40 AM

16,157 posts, read 10,840,798 times
We and our friends were living in one town and our families lived in a city 150 miles away. When my wife died we had to have two funeral companies and two visitations - almost two of everything - once in our home town and once in the city for elderly relatives and old friends. The family plot was in the city. It was exceedingly expensive. I've complicated matters now by moving 1000 miles away with a third set of friends so I guess I'll be making three stops. My plan is to out live everyone else and do an end run.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:43 AM

7,279 posts, read 4,648,913 times
Services can be held where the person dies and people either travel to come or miss it. Silly to have 2 funerals.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:46 AM

5,265 posts, read 3,631,848 times
Just an FYI: both Walmart & Costco sell coffins for much less than the typical funeral home mark-up they ask during a family's time of crisis. (I don't know if technically this is "out of the box".)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement