Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 01:47 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,211,649 times

Advertisements

What's happening? My mask keeps crawling up and eventually I am blind. It crawls up and covers my eyes. Those blue one with the earloops. Anybody else have this problem and how are you dealing with it? It is so uncomfortable to barely be able to see over my mask. Then I keep pulling it down which obviously, I'm not supposed to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 01:54 PM

10,381 posts, read 8,027,262 times
Try a different design, one with ties that go around your head instead of earloops. And make sure you use a mask that contains a wire over the nose portion, which allows you to fit the mask tightly against your nose. Something like this or this.

Old 05-02-2020, 01:56 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,796,386 times
Do you have the bottom edge of the mask under your chin? That helps secure it unless you have an exceptionally small chin. I do notice the top edge touching me right under my eyes. I put it under my glasses to secure it so the edge just naturally is right there. But it's never crawled up or affected my vision. The pleats need to be separated/spread for it to fit properly so that will give you the slack you need for it to fit under your chin.

Good luck - that has to be incredibly annoying.

Old 05-02-2020, 02:48 PM

8,415 posts, read 4,436,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
What's happening? My mask keeps crawling up and eventually I am blind. It crawls up and covers my eyes. Those blue one with the earloops. Anybody else have this problem and how are you dealing with it? It is so uncomfortable to barely be able to see over my mask. Then I keep pulling it down which obviously, I'm not supposed to do.

A mask needs a wire along its upper edge. You mold the wire over your nose, to prevent the mask from moving, and to prevent your glasses from fogging (from exhaled breaths escaping upwards if the mask is not firmly plastered to the nose with wire)..

Old 05-02-2020, 02:55 PM

8,518 posts, read 6,941,054 times
Inevitably the minute I put my mask on I developed an itch that has to be scratched. Also if I have a mask on and am wearing sunglasses they fog up. Problems, problems.

Old 05-02-2020, 03:00 PM

11,168 posts, read 8,003,842 times
Cut some eye holes in it.. and rock on!

Old 05-02-2020, 04:11 PM

23,939 posts, read 12,753,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Inevitably the minute I put my mask on I developed an itch that has to be scratched. Also if I have a mask on and am wearing sunglasses they fog up. Problems, problems.
If the mask is tight the glasses shouldn't fog up. The film left on the glasses when they are washed in soapy water and left to air dry will stop them from fogging up.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:58 PM

962 posts, read 615,434 times
Ditch the mark entirely.

Before this thing is over we will learn that masks were a major contributor to new infections.

Old 05-02-2020, 05:14 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,619,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
I suspect it's too wide vertically (from top to bottom...probably needs to be narrower)

I suspect it's also too loose.

I have a homemade mask made from a bandana with two large rubberbands. It's just folded, not sewn. It tends to fall down, to want to go below my nose, so I have to lift it. Or it might inch up. Mine is too loose AND too thick vertically. I tightened it somewhat, so it's a bit better.

I put my eyeglasses on top of the bandana the last time, and that worked okay, to keep it in place.

I may also try putting inside the bandana, between the layers of material, a twist tie (sewing it in place). I was thinking I might be able to then bend it around bridge of my nose to help keep it in place.

The masks you buy (or sew) are shaped so that the part that goes over the nose curves up at the top, but slopes down on what would be the sides of the nose. That probably avoids the mask getting in the way of the eyes.

Old 05-02-2020, 06:12 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,566,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
Ditch the mark entirely.

Before this thing is over we will learn that masks were a major contributor to new infections.
The most irresponsible statement posted today - anywhere on this board. Period.

The only people NOT INFECTED on this bus were wearing masks:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/scie...tance-and-stay

And, then, there is this:

https://www.businessinsider.com/air-...n-again-2020-4

Masks are not 100% fail-safe but a whole hell of lot better than wearing no protection. I am not worried about me spreading anything. I AM very worried about the germs spewing from the mouths and airways of others and being recirculated via HVAC systems and other means.

I fortunately ordered masks in February after reading about the China horrors. When I enter any store, I wear a mask. Actually, I double them up. Yes, it's uncomfortable. But for the short time I wear it, I'll put up with the discomfort.

I've read enough the past three months on this issue to KNOW that masks benefit the wearer. Anyone not wearing a mask is tempting fate. This is one nasty virus I do not want.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-02-2020 at 06:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement