Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 12:19 PM

13,705 posts, read 9,800,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
What services? I'm just curious because I'm trying to figure out what would be missing. Are we talking like police, fire, trash pickup, street lights, side walks? I'm moving from a high tax area to a low tax area and I struggle to see what services are missing in the low tax area.
* High speed internet access

* Rapid restoration of electrical-power, after outages

* Prompt snow plowing

* Good options for dining and for "ethnic" groceries

* Culture, in the sense of symphony/opera/ballet/museums

Most of the above is private, or semi-private. It's less about the prevailing politics, or tax-policy, than about the material affluence of the local public. Affluent areas can sustain "high culture", and attract business that offer the best telecommunications technology and so forth. Poorer locales are left decades behind, especially if rural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 04:26 PM

17,405 posts, read 11,391,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
TN's state tax structure isn't as money saving for as many people as they might think at first.

Yes, no state income tax on earned income is great, but that largely benefits higher income, working people. If you're a lower income retiree, the no state income tax is not as beneficial as a country music star using Nashville as their legal residence. Many states also shelter at least some amount of some forms of common retirement income from state income taxes, rendering the no state income tax deal less beneficial than many people might think of first blush.

At least here in northeast TN, "napkin math" for property taxes is about 1% of the valuation of the property per year in the city, less so in the county. Sales tax approaches 10%.
If you're not high income and on mostly social security, state income taxes aren't a big deal. Many if not most states don't tax social security and many give tax breaks for other retirement income. I found that property tax is the make or break tax. A high property tax can eat up a good chunk of your monthly income. Sales tax is not a big deal either unless you spend thousands every month on taxable items. You can easily control that, you can't control property taxes.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:13 PM

648 posts, read 523,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
* High speed internet access

* Rapid restoration of electrical-power, after outages

* Prompt snow plowing

* Good options for dining and for "ethnic" groceries

* Culture, in the sense of symphony/opera/ballet/museums

Most of the above is private, or semi-private. It's less about the prevailing politics, or tax-policy, than about the material affluence of the local public. Affluent areas can sustain "high culture", and attract business that offer the best telecommunications technology and so forth. Poorer locales are left decades behind, especially if rural.
Great post. +1. At least in my experience in living in different parts of the country, what you’ve summarized is a combination of affluence and diversity. In my search for a place to live for retirement, finding those things in a part of the country that is also financially friendly to retirees, has great weather, and allows for a great COL is not an easy thing. Everybody has different wants and needs, but the balance of things including what you have above was just not coming up for me. I had to make some compromises but I think I’m happy with my choice.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,823 posts, read 58,392,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
Great post. +1. At least in my experience in living in different parts of the country, what you’ve summarized is a combination of affluence and diversity. In my search for a place to live for retirement, finding those things in a part of the country that is also financially friendly to retirees, has great weather, and allows for a great COL is not an easy thing. Everybody has different wants and needs, ....
I'm always looking for 'friendly' and it is pretty 'fleeting'. Some regions are very 'ethnic' and stuck up, especially to newcomers. Friends from Colorado went to Vermont and that was a very bad thing for them. (They moved everyone + farm + inlaws + pets + extended family (adult kids). It all imploded within 5 yrs and EVERYONE moved back to CO (on their own). I'm sure lots of situations are different.

For 'freindly', hunting.. I attend all events and venues, just as if I were living there. I stay with locals (not hotels) and ask a LOT of questions to library, feed store, auto parts, hardware and grocery.. attend senior lunches and strike up friendships, also volunteer for community events and get to know a broad range of residents. Good to go to rehearsals and community dinners.

Several CO retirees are selling their now high taxed, and highly appreciated front range homes (and fleeing fracking / water quality and noise and smell), and moving out to rural farming towns. (can get a nice house / land / shop under $100k) Often under $60k. For their LONG drives to medical, they fetch a 'fixed' VW Passt TDI (50 mpg) or a well charged Prius. For long term treatments, they have plenty of friends hosting them, back in civilization.

When seeking low cost... I ALWAYS talk to the tax assessor and county planning (at length). And review levy levels and voting approval stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement