Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 03:52 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,467,977 times

Advertisements

We are 8 miles - as the crow flies - from Moss Landing, CA. We’re far enough inland that we get more sunshine than fog - but we do fog in.

We moved from the desert Rocky Mountains (Utah) and going from REALLY dry air to morning mist - was nice - but I can never put out really nice deck furniture because of the constant moisture.

That said - we’re more unlikely to be a fire hazard here.

We wanted “Mediterranean - type” weather and we got it. And we never have to shovel snow again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 03:58 PM

11,224 posts, read 9,853,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
Salt air will make just about everything deteriorate faster than inland. (Our heat pumps wore out in 13 years; in IL, inside furnace/AC lasts at least twice as long) The hurricanes are getting worse. As already mentioned, insurance is higher.

My personal opinion is that the air smells different/better on Florida’s Atlantic coast than it does on NC’s coast. But that’s just me.
To me, the Atlantic coast has no smell at all. The Pacific has a distinctive smell of salt and kelp, and various dead ocean critters mouldering on the sand. Personally I love it because it reminds me of my childhood. That, and the smell of Coppertone. Takes me way back to a happy carefree time.

Old 05-31-2020, 04:22 PM

10,961 posts, read 7,506,665 times
Depending on how far from what coast of which ocean, you might get tired of fog and clouds. I could see San Francisco Bay from my first house, and the Pacific off HI from my second. After 40 years of cloudy skies, I moved to Arizona, with lots of sunshine. Now I miss the clouds. People are like that.

more stuff to consider: salt air damage, hurricanes, sea level rise from global warming, sewage spills (saw that in Mexico, gross), tourists...

Old 05-31-2020, 06:20 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,401,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
To me, the Atlantic coast has no smell at all. The Pacific has a distinctive smell of salt and kelp, and various dead ocean critters mouldering on the sand. Personally I love it because it reminds me of my childhood. That, and the smell of Coppertone. Takes me way back to a happy carefree time.love that smell
same thing. sometimes if I'm blue during winter, I will pop open a bottle. the scent takes me right back to Summer's spent on eastern Long Island sound.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:12 PM

6,400 posts, read 4,877,861 times
Retired 6 years ago after a lifetime in Central California. Vacations always included time at beaches. When I was younger I planned to retire around Cabo San Lucas. As I got older Mexico lost it's appeal.

Decided on Maui (thinking it might be too expensive). After two years here I went home and liquidated my storage unit and bought an oceanfront condo. Love it here. I am so close to the ocean I can throw a rock in the water from my balcony and the ocean is warm enough to swim year-round.

It was an adjustment going from a large four-bedroom home to a one-bedroom condo but you really don't need a lot of "stuff" here. I wear board shorts, T-shirts and flip-flops pretty much everywhere.

Salt air does corrode metals, leather, vinyl and furniture quickly. I live open-air most of the year, using the A/C only in the heat of the summer (about 92 degrees). I hate to close up my place because then I can't hear the ocean. Love all of the sea life here too: Turtles; whales; dolphins; and more.

Found a great retirement job and made new friends. Doubt if I will ever move back to the mainland.

BTW: It's been a great place to weather the Coronavirus and riots. Almost like being in a separate country and I can see and hear the ocean as I type this.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:41 PM

8,403 posts, read 6,504,235 times
remember sea levels are going to rise according to global warming alarmist making your property no value.

Old 05-31-2020, 08:52 PM

17,552 posts, read 22,320,969 times
I bought a townhouse on the beach. 2/2 three story with a 1 car garage. EVERYTHING metal rots. A/C unit, locks/light fixtures/door handles and even the metal roof rotted prematurely. My place was 5 years old when I bought it and literally changed out all of the above.

I'm not a beach guy...........its fine but I'd rather live on the water with a dock/place I can have a boat.

The ocean can be loud if the waves are big and once the sun goes down there is nothing to see out there!

Old 05-31-2020, 08:58 PM

705 posts, read 564,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyrabbit2 View Post
My ultimate dream is to retire near the ocean. Those that have retired near the ocean, what have been the pros and cons you have encountered. I have 15 more years before I can retire.

We are only about 40 minutes from the Gulf and we love it. Yes it gets hot in south Texas but every area has it good and bad points. Most of the year is very nice here. We avoid the beach from May-Oct when it's really crowded. From Nov till summer its not crowded at all and the weather is perfect! My only negative would be hurricane's but as I said every area has something. We haven't flooded where we live and just ride it out but we now own a generator just in case. It's pretty much flip flops and shorts year round down here. Did I mention that we love it?

Old 06-01-2020, 07:07 AM

3,267 posts, read 5,027,856 times
I used to live in a high-rise condo on the Intracoastal Waterway in Broward County FL, less than 1/4 mile from the ocean. No ocean view, because of giant hotels on the beach.

I thought I'd like living so close to the ocean, but it wasn't all that great. Not being a beach person anyway, I never went to the beach, although it was within easy walking distance. I got tired of constantly washing the salt off the windows, and my condo had floor-to-ceiling windows in all rooms. That was a lot of window washing.

Hurricane season was scary. Homeowners insurance was costly.

And the annual invasion of the snowbirds and tourists. Don't get me started.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:46 AM

20,238 posts, read 9,162,788 times
5 minutes bike ride to the ocean, can hear the waves break from my back porch. i'll stay here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement