Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 09:06 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,099,807 times

Advertisements

I have almost always had jobs that required driving, which I actually liked doing, and I was good at it. In the 70s, I drove truck for a while before and after the Air Force. Then I took a job using the electronics I learned in the AF to get a field service job. There I almost always had a company vehicle, usually a van, and spent quite a bit of time driving all over the area.

After being retired for about two years, I hooked up with a local Chevrolet dealership and now I drive vehicles around for swaps with other dealerships or deliveries to buyers. I don't have to deal with the general public and have to worry about Covid as much as most other jobs. The pay isn't much but it is low stress, even with traffic. I get paid by the hour for sitting on my butt behind the wheel, just like in my field service job. It gives me an opportunity to get out of the house, enough to avoid cabin fever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2020, 11:39 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,992,225 times
I retired from federal government last year. One biggest benefit being a federal retiree is you get to keep your health benefits with the same premiums as employees. So I am glad I didn't need to get another job just to have health care coverage.

After being retired I was approached by a business friend about a startup. Since I was able to work from home I agreed. But after 6 months you get to know the ugly side of a partnership, the greed that drives people to unethical behaviors when money is involved, so I had a business divorce after that. Now I still work from home for a company, it keeps me engaged mentally and the pay is decent. I'd figure if you need/ want to do something it might as well be at the professional level and get paid for it. I just don't see the alternative of taking a minimum wage job just to keep busy if you can help it. I enjoy what I do and my work is exactly opposite of what other posters complain about having a job with bad bosses and company politics.

I am still active in my professional society. For example I volunteer as conference session chair in an annual national conference. This year it will be conducted virtually because of the virus, so it will be interesting to see how it will run. It's a good way to stay in touch with professional friends & colleagues over the years.

Old 08-16-2020, 06:30 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,409,441 times
I work in the local pro shop and get free golf, free practice range, a little money and a decent discount on clothes and golf equipment.
I get to meet a lot of people and it keeps me from getting lazy.
More importantly it relieves me of household chores. Well, some anyway.

Old 08-16-2020, 06:32 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,087,879 times
As a workaholic, I've been fortunate to reshape my career many times over to fit my current needs. Retirement is no different. What I do now is based on my expertise, is not that intrusive, pays well, is enjoyable and keeps me sane. Retirement is a word, and a world that means different things to different people. It's up to you to define the word...and your world!

Old 08-16-2020, 08:05 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,076,280 times
I work part time contractor jobs. I don't want to say exactly what field I'm in for confidentiality reasons but I have a large network of potential opportunities and I was able to get a part time gig with flexible hours. It works well for me. The only negative is that I have to be available Mon to Fri on a regular basis. I can't take off for 2 or 3 days at the last minute but that isn't really a big issue for me now with Covid curtailing travel. I did take a vacation last year and they were fine with that but it was planned in advance and it's not something I can do with frequency. If you expect to travel a lot, a part time job isn't really a good fit. Even with a part time job, one still needs to be responsible/available/accountable.

I also had a part time volunteer gig and have since dropped that; it was a 1-2 hour commitment but it resulted in one whole day being set aside for it, so it was not time effective. I also had another small part time job that involved scheduling my availability to do a 4-hour time slot 4-6 weeks in advance. I dropped that commitment, too. It was too difficult to schedule availability that far in advance for a measly 4 hours of work.

So, my advice is to be careful of not taking on too many part time commitments as they tend to sap your availability on any given day and be difficult to juggle. It's better to have 1 good commitment than 2 or 3.

Old 08-16-2020, 11:11 AM

6,631 posts, read 7,367,380 times
One of our neighbors works as a handy man and is skilled at almost everything. He use to be in the real-estate business and that is where he learned his current trade.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:06 PM

260 posts, read 154,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
I am not fully retired yet. But if I retire, it means that there will be no job of any kind.
I guess you can now call me retired. No retirement job whatsoever; and I ain't looking. I am a younger newer retiree who is happy just being fully retired.

It is very nice to finally be in control of my own life. No regrets. Some may need or want to work after retiring, but working is no longer for me!

Old 08-19-2020, 09:25 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,729,050 times
I was looking for balance in retirement. Just a couple days a week of doing, as my wife calls it, a hobby job. I always enjoyed wine, talking, tasting, history, etc, so I got a 2 day a week job working at a local winery. I love it. I get to pour wine and shoot the sh*t with people. It must show. I have gotten many 5 star reviews on TripAdvisor, Google and other sites. I make about $200 - $250 a day with tips working 11am - 5pm. Its pocket money for going out or other unneeded, but fun things.

Old 08-20-2020, 12:17 AM

68 posts, read 25,750 times
I've been trying to force myself to hike up hills to get in better shape

Today is my lucky day!!

I just got a job as a housekeeper so I'd now get paid to get in shape!!!

The Cabins are on a steep hill so my legs should turn firmer hiking up & down carrying laundry

3 shifts per week- 4 hrs long. Open half the year, perfect!

Say goodbye to cellulite

And hello to being a better cyclist

Old 08-20-2020, 12:25 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,327,628 times
"Retirement job" makes no sense. You are ether retired or your are not retired. When you quit your life time career job and took a part time job for less money you just went from a higher paying job to a lower paying job with less stress but you have not retired yet.

Retirement means NO JOB!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement