Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 08:02 AM

8,323 posts, read 3,962,338 times

Advertisements

Facebook and Google are far from "free". In fact, we are paying the ultimate price by integrating them into our daily lives.

They have one purpose only and that is to harvest as much information about us as they can. Every day that goes by they steal more and more of our privacy, and increasingly diminish our power as individual citizens and consumers.

From the very beginning of the Internet, once we got past the idealistic early days of bulletin boards and personal Web pages - it was clear that one day these technologies would be used to enslave and disenfranchise us. If we leave them unchecked, what will our world be like in 50 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 08:09 AM

2,062 posts, read 1,964,867 times
I enjoy Facebook. For me it is a wonderful way to keep up with family, friends and professional groups.

I do not add anyone that I do not know in real life. I think that adding lots of people one has never met, is how some people get in trouble.

Facebook is what you make it.

Last edited by funisart; 08-18-2020 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: Add

Old 08-18-2020, 08:23 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,931,616 times
I'm on Facebook to keep in touch with friends and family scattered all over the world.. If I don't know you in person I won't friend you on FB. I'm in a few local groups to keep up with events. I stay out of the drama on there.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:38 AM

15,254 posts, read 13,049,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I have no more interest in Facebook than I do in sucking on a sewer pipe. Why does someone feel they're entitled to an explanation beyond that?
^This.

I have dozens of reasons for staying off FB but I'm not interested in debating them with the "I just go on Facebook to see pictures of my grandchildren" people, because they wouldn't understand.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:42 AM

11,208 posts, read 7,270,439 times
Some see the site as either about 1) extreme vanity, or 2) extreme political baiting and babbling. People use it to show their beautiful perfect lives (in fantasy terms, of course), or use it to promote certain views. Many are simply above all that, and don't want to lower themselves to those levels. Sure, there are many who use it in a healthy way, to stay in touch. But there's still an air of plasticity to it. And we've all heard the security issues and weirdness about it from within. As a tradeoff for being free, there may be contrasting costs that we aren't thinking of.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:23 AM

2,390 posts, read 630,447 times
My 85 yo MIL refused until just recently to join facebook - all because of way back when a girl committed suicide after cyber attacks bulling her.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:43 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,692,005 times
To answer the question, OP:

Some people are super paranoid.

Some (many) are luddites.

Facebook is passe' now.

Old 08-18-2020, 10:31 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,905,848 times
At its heart (and not counting ads and politics) faceback is about opening your life to others, and vice-versa. Whether it's on facebook, or at work, or at the family reunion, or at a New Year's Eve party - I just don't see the appeal. I do not dump gossip upon any random passerby...and I definitely don't listen to it. So I don't read it.

There are some times when it's appropriate: Long distance relatives and their milestones, for instance, lets us instantly participate in new babies, or retirements, or weddings - things we couldn't otherwise enjoy until weeks or months later - if ever - when photos were mailed. Now it's RIGHT NOW. In those situations, I like it.

But by and large - people used to fill their minds with their OWN life - not other peoples'. It just strikes me odd, that's all. Few folks are as interested in your life as your are, and same for mine. In fact - if you were to say that you were more interested in my life on facebook more than your OWN life in "real" life - I'd have to question your motives. And that covers a whole lotta facebook users.

When I see you scrolling, scrolling, scrolling past miles of posts, looking for THE ONE today...it means you aren't looking for THE THING in your own life at that moment. Make your own moments. Don't just read about someone else's. Occasionally is fine, keeping in touch is fine, sharing pictures of your cat barfing is not fine.

Old 08-18-2020, 10:52 AM

2,874 posts, read 2,077,559 times
I find it extremely handy for certain hobbies (vizsla, kayaking, cycling and watches) and for keeping up with far-flung friends and family. There are times when I run hot and cold on FB, much like C-D. There's a time and place for everything.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:04 AM

1,131 posts, read 390,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Facebook and Google are far from "free". In fact, we are paying the ultimate price by integrating them into our daily lives.

They have one purpose only and that is to harvest as much information about us as they can. Every day that goes by they steal more and more of our privacy, and increasingly diminish our power as individual citizens and consumers.

From the very beginning of the Internet, once we got past the idealistic early days of bulletin boards and personal Web pages - it was clear that one day these technologies would be used to enslave and disenfranchise us. If we leave them unchecked, what will our world be like in 50 years?
CDF is mining information on what we post as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement