Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 09:37 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times

Advertisements

It bothers me that you can't call your dr. office and make a appointment right now. At least with Health Net you can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 11:24 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Basically, that is how I live all the time, prepared, not just in this pandemic. I have a contingency plan for everything as my normal.

Old 12-11-2020, 02:48 PM

433 posts, read 532,451 times
Forgive me, but, I recently got an Echo Show with Alexa. The instructions contain warning(s) to NOT rely on Alexa for 911 calls. Call a friend, Dial-a-Prayer, whatever. Just not 911.

Old 12-11-2020, 03:03 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post

It bothers me that you can't call your dr. office and make a appointment right now. At least with Health Net you can't.
This may not help you - for your particular needs - but many of the tele-health websites and the ability to talk to a doctor on demand who will even electronically send prescriptions to your pharmacy of choice for you are EXCELLENT.

I've used plushcare.com three or four times for prescriptions and it is excellent.

There is also doctorondemand.com and many others.

(google tele-health or doctor appointments online or something similar to find all the other many similar websites where you can have online virtual doctor appointments.)

Also some regular clinics (where one usually goes) are now offering physician appointments virtually using your tablet, iPad, cellphone, or computer.

Old 12-11-2020, 03:20 PM

11,051 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Basically, that is how I live all the time, prepared, not just in this pandemic. I have a contingency plan for everything as my normal.
"Everything" huh? Boy, I envy you. I have been surprised repeatedly with medical events.

Old 12-11-2020, 03:22 PM

11,051 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
This may not help you - for your particular needs - but many of the tele-health websites and the ability to talk to a doctor on demand who will even electronically send prescriptions to your pharmacy of choice for you are EXCELLENT.

I've used plushcare.com three or four times for prescriptions and it is excellent.

There is also doctorondemand.com and many others.

(google tele-health or doctor appointments online or something similar to find all the other many similar websites where you can have online virtual doctor appointments.)

Also some regular clinics (where one usually goes) are now offering physician appointments virtually using your tablet, iPad, cellphone, or computer.
Is this tele-health only for established doctor/patient? Or can you just dial up a random doc for a consultation? Do you recommend anything....like Mayo or something?

Old 12-11-2020, 03:59 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

Is this tele-health only for established doctor/patient? Or can you just dial up a random doc for a consultation?
You just make an appointment with a random doctor at plushcare.com or doctorondemand.com or the many other similar websites.

The time with the doctor is done using your tablet, iPad, cellphone, or computer.
You see each other during your appointment and when you're talking to each other.

No, these websites are not for established doctor/patient.

I like plushcare.com and have had 3 or 4 appointments to get prescriptions or to get prescriptions renewed with the same doctor each time at plushcare.com, by choice.

If one's actual clinic is offering virtual appointments now, then you could try having an appointment with your established doctor that you went to before the pandemic.

Old 12-11-2020, 09:20 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I've been fortunate, i can call the Veterans Hospital at all times, for my health care.

Old 12-12-2020, 09:31 AM

11,115 posts, read 9,753,246 times
We see our doctor as normal here. We can't bring additional people to our appointments, and we must wear a mask. Our doctors actually wear TWO masks one over the other, or a mask and a face shield, and put on fresh gloves for each patient. The waiting room is distanced by taping off chairs to make 6 ft separation between.

Old 12-12-2020, 09:35 AM

6,454 posts, read 3,974,828 times
Another consideration is what will happen to pets if, say, you get hauled off to the hospital in an emergency-- who will come over and care for them if you're in the hospital for days/weeks?

A different article would be for people who live alone and don't have anyone/don't have many people (or don't have anyone close). It's a completely different ballgame between "Oh I have 20 people I would call to take care of things, no problem" and "there is no one." But that is a situation many older people live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement