Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 11:26 AM

6,369 posts, read 7,832,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Nope. Must be means tested unless you have a service connected disability. Don’t feel bad, lots of folks that never served think all veterans get everything free.
Did not know that. Thanks for clearing that up.
I did not know that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
Thank you for this link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lathemanjack View Post
When I was nearing retirement a fellow vet suggested I check out the VA for health care. He told me it's great for pharmaceutical needs and closes the "doughnut hole". Reluctantly, I decided, what the heck I'll give it a shot. Turns out I'm in Priority Group 6. Qualified on the spot. Received my photo ID...
It looks like I'm in Priority Group 6 too. They do have good copays on meds. I'm happy with my current insurance and have wondered about VA medical. We've all heard the horror stories, but it would be nice to have a backup plan.

lathemanjack, did you have to take your DD-214 with you when you signed up?

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 12:09 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,987,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
did you have to take your DD-214 with you when you signed up?
Take it with you.

I qualified 9 years ago at age 65 for Priority Group 7. I might have qualified earlier but I never thought about it until I went on Medicare and started looking at the cost of a Medicare Supplement.

My SS retirement income is within the threshold.

I pay co-pays. $15 for routine stuff, $50 for specialty, $5 to $15 for medications.

In the last 9 years the VA has spent a little over $100,000 on my medical conditions.

Yes, there are things I gripe about but, on the whole, I'm happy to have it.

Old 03-10-2021, 12:13 PM

10,994 posts, read 20,632,815 times
My brother uses VA but also has Kaiser Medicare Advantage. His meds are free from the VA. They called him for Covid19 vax and administered it. It is my understanding that he would qualify for VA long-term care facility should he need that.

My suggestion is to enroll if qualified and use it enough to maintain your enrollment (they may drop you if you don't use it). You never know when you may need it.

I recall waiting at PDX and chatting with a guy who shared that he uses the Portland VA facilities, I think he lived in Central America. He said that the care he received at Portland VA Hospital and clinics was top-notch.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:25 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,008,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lathemanjack View Post
When I was nearing retirement a fellow vet suggested I check out the VA for health care. He told me it's great for
pharmaceutical needs and closes the "doughnut hole". Reluctantly, I decided, what the heck I'll give it a shot.
Turns out I'm in Priority Group 6. Qualified on the spot. Received my photo ID. I was scheduled for my first annual
physical (required to maintain qualification). I have been using the VA ever since. Excellent health care coverage.
Hmmm. I applied for VA care (so I could get a COVID vaccine) and was turned down because they said I made too much. And I too am Pri 6 (Gulf War vet). Anybody have any idea why?

--

Old 03-10-2021, 01:59 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,336,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olds1 View Post
I tried to sign up last year knowing I was retiring in December and just wanted options for medical in retirement. We will move and have to go to a PPO till I hit 65. The PPO is on the expensive side as far as co-pays and deductible. The VA said I make too much money and they denied my application.

I thought I earned it by being a veteran? Between active, reserves and IRR, I have 12 years and an honorable discharge.
yea - you have to have a rated condition/conditions. And you can go there if you don't have that, but have limited income.

Have you ever thought of getting checked out?

Old 03-10-2021, 02:12 PM

I guess they didn't do the mandatory out-processing for some of y'all when y'all got out?

We had to attend a week long class before your final out-processing. One day, a VA service guy spoke to us. He took our info and started our VA medical processing. Copies of medical records included.

I was surprised at how they checked everything. Those veteran service officers know their stuff.

Most county offices have them. You can check with them if you have questions.

Well maybe they don't all know their stuff. Cuz after i got my rating, I was curious and started reading the regs. I was then able to help my BIL get his 100% rating. He was a vietnam vet - gee those guys should be almost automatic. But then he would ask too many questions and I told him to just do what I said - lol. Maybe his VSO told him to hit the road.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:33 PM

4,858 posts, read 3,673,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olds1 View Post
I tried to sign up last year knowing I was retiring in December and just wanted options for medical in retirement. We will move and have to go to a PPO till I hit 65. The PPO is on the expensive side as far as co-pays and deductible. The VA said I make too much money and they denied my application.

I thought I earned it by being a veteran? Between active, reserves and IRR, I have 12 years and an honorable discharge.
My husband does go to the VA twice a year for blood tests and prescription renewals. He is 100% disabled as he was exposed to Agent Orange when in Viet Nam and was stationed in the Mekong delta. He has several illnesses presumptive for AO exposure.

We have civilian cardiologists and husb has a civilian urologist. They provide test results and other data to the VA.

As he was in combat, the VA allows him to use the medical care.

Old 03-10-2021, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
My husband does go to the VA twice a year for blood tests and prescription renewals. He is 100% disabled as he was exposed to Agent Orange when in Viet Nam and was stationed in the Mekong delta. He has several illnesses presumptive for AO exposure.

We have civilian cardiologists and husb has a civilian urologist. They provide test results and other data to the VA.

As he was in combat, the VA allows him to use the medical care.
yes my roommate is 100% - also vietnam vet with two purple hearts.

They went through so much. But then so did my dad in WW2 - they were there for the duration. I wish I was older so I could have known more about the VA for my dad. He still received compensation, but not at 100%. He did have excellent insurance through civil service

Then i think maybe he just didn't want to deal with the military. There are those out there like that. Want to forget.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:18 PM

130 posts, read 75,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I did not know that either.

Thank you for this link.

It looks like I'm in Priority Group 6 too. They do have good copays on meds. I'm happy with my current insurance and have wondered about VA medical. We've all heard the horror stories, but it would be nice to have a backup plan.

lathemanjack, did you have to take your DD-214 with you when you signed up?
Yes take it with you
Every county seat has a VA rep. Go and ask for assistance.
Or go to any VA hospital, they have counselors that can help you.
Don't believe the horror stories, we've all had some problems with VA and civilian medical care.
I must say that 95% of the VA health care workers that provided me care wore the most considerate individuals
I've ever dealt with.

Last edited by lathemanjack; 03-10-2021 at 07:46 PM..

Old 03-10-2021, 07:37 PM

130 posts, read 75,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Hmmm. I applied for VA care (so I could get a COVID vaccine) and was turned down because they said I made too much. And I too am Pri 6 (Gulf War vet). Anybody have any idea why?

--
I'm not sure, obviously I'm not an expert on all the regs. In my situation I did not have to meet any financial
requirements. I do know that the VA works in coordination with the IRS and checks incomes annually. As I
stated this does not apply to me. However, to qualify you must be a combat veteran not just a combat era
veteran. Check your DD-214 block 24, your campaign medal or service medal should be listed. This is the proof you need to qualify for priority group 6. You must be able to prove that you had "boots on the ground" in a combat zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement