Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 11:32 PM

10,705 posts, read 7,931,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
... All fruit juices taste too sweet. Jam/jelly is too sweet and most desserts are too sweet..
I'm with you here, and that's because they ARE too sweet. I still enjoy dark chocolate and my home made oatmeal cookies with mashed banana, raisins and no other sweetener added. Fruits and berries of all kinds are also much enjoyed.

My appreciation of savory foods is greater now than when younger, probably thanks to my wife's cooking.

I still love to eat, just can't stomach so much anymore without digestive distress.

Weight gain isn't a concern as it's apparently impossible for my body to acquire fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 12:14 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,710,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Ice Cream still tastes good to me ... too bad

But professionally prepared food (as in most places to 'eat out') no longer taste spectacular. I'm fine cooking meals and only going out for dessert!

Heavy doses of salt in grocery prepared foods are no longer palatable.
I thought you made all your own food and lived on less than $100 and fed the elderly too....

Old 06-04-2021, 12:30 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,710,437 times
Not taste related, but it took us 16-17 years to figure out most of my husband's digestive issues is because of yeast (not gluten) allergy or intolerance. It's really bad. So no drinking (for the most part) and he can only have a few specific brands/preparations of sourdough bread. I will use it to make breadcrumbs for recipes like meatballs and pan-fried meats. I also learned how to make yeast-free pizza dough just so he can have a pizza every so often.

We both still have our sweet teeth, but not nearly as sweet as when we were younger. I now hate Krispie Kreme and I crave 90% dark chocolate and black jelly beans.

Similar to above I find that my tastes haven't changed as drastically as food tolerance. I can feel blood sugar differences more than when I was younger. I prefer fresh or dried fruit and nut butters to carb-heavy snacks because they're more fulfilling. Dates are my jam! I have to be very careful when we eat out because everything ends up aggravating my system. I'll be in the bathroom before the end of the meal! We went out to breakfast with my brother-in-law in town to get his vaccine and all I had was hot water and a bagel with cream cheese. I can't do diner coffee and heavy breakfasts anymore. Silver lining is I'm a cheap date now!!!

Old 06-04-2021, 09:30 AM

23,672 posts, read 70,788,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Not taste related, but it took us 16-17 years to figure out most of my husband's digestive issues is because of yeast (not gluten) allergy or intolerance. It's really bad. So no drinking (for the most part) and he can only have a few specific brands/preparations of sourdough bread. I will use it to make breadcrumbs for recipes like meatballs and pan-fried meats. I also learned how to make yeast-free pizza dough just so he can have a pizza every so often.

We both still have our sweet teeth, but not nearly as sweet as when we were younger. I now hate Krispie Kreme and I crave 90% dark chocolate and black jelly beans.

Similar to above I find that my tastes haven't changed as drastically as food tolerance. I can feel blood sugar differences more than when I was younger. I prefer fresh or dried fruit and nut butters to carb-heavy snacks because they're more fulfilling. Dates are my jam! I have to be very careful when we eat out because everything ends up aggravating my system. I'll be in the bathroom before the end of the meal! We went out to breakfast with my brother-in-law in town to get his vaccine and all I had was hot water and a bagel with cream cheese. I can't do diner coffee and heavy breakfasts anymore. Silver lining is I'm a cheap date now!!!
The yeast issue can be a challenge. It leads to overgrowth and contributes to "leaky gut." When you start mentioning yeast in men, there can be startled looks. I would suggest that some of the candida remedies can be helpful. Some are even inherent in the cuisine, such as the heavy use of garlic in many pasta eating areas. Soloray makes a "yeast cleanse" product that is quite good, just don't go by the suggested dosage on the bottle and start VERY slowly to reach a level that works. If he is taking B supplements, three guesses how they are grown...

If you crave the black jelly beans, read up on the health effects of licorice. It can be dangerous in excess if you have certain health issues.

Old 06-04-2021, 10:29 AM

15,653 posts, read 26,365,233 times
I had Covid. And while the whole experience was terrifying, I didn’t have a bad run. Never had a fever, only had a cough, but I did lose my sense of taste and smell. That came on seven days in, and was so bad that even water made my stomach turn. I ended up dehydrated, passed out, clonked my head, and ended up in the ER.

My neighbor also lost her sense of taste and smell but got it back in days like what would happen with a regular cold. I just hit six months, and it’s mostly back. Not all the way back.

It is interesting. For a while food didn’t really have much taste other than the main taste of salt and sweet. Walking through a bakery all I could smell was sugar, none of the nuances. That’s gotten much better.

I also know that because my late husband had high blood pressure as do I, my cooking became way less salty. The thing is salt is a flavor enhancer. So if you pare back on the salt, you have to replace it with something. I go through Italian dry seasoning like you can’t believe. That’s why it’s like go to herb mixture. I learned that when we tried the lower fat diet my husband wanted to try years and years ago.

Old 06-04-2021, 11:00 AM

11,170 posts, read 6,753,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I thought you made all your own food and lived on less than $100 and fed the elderly too....
LOL! you are too funny!

Old 06-04-2021, 11:04 AM

11,170 posts, read 6,753,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Yes, our taste buds have changed over the years. We find commercially prepared foods and most restaurant foods being too salty or too sweet. This is why we rarely eat out and make our own foods.

It seems contradictory for me to consume less sugar and salt when the number of my taste buds decreases as I age. It’s likely that my disliking of too much salt and sugar is due more to our ‘healthy’ eating habit than the numbers of taste buds.

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/004013.htm

I love spices but have never liked foods which are too spicy. If anything, we have enjoyed foods and drinks more in retirement. I now have more time to cook, try out new regional/international recipes and to experiment with new ways of cooking, preparing foods.

Our new hobby of grape growing and wine making getting us deeper and deeper in wine appreciation. I think my sense of wine tasting and smelling have developed with learning and concentration. I am getting quite good at making all the minute chemistry adjustments to make our wine less acidic, getting rid of sulfur smell etc.

I would hate to lose most of my taste and smell senses. Life will certainly be much less enjoyable.
So we LOSE some of our tastebuds altogether, as we age! Now that's depressing!

How fun and rewarding to be making your own wine, though. Good for you. DH tried to make blackberry wine as a teen with some friends, and it all exploded, lol.

Old 06-04-2021, 11:49 AM

4,826 posts, read 3,108,035 times
My taste in music has changed slightly with the passage of years.
My taste in food? Not much change.

Old 06-04-2021, 04:05 PM

10,218 posts, read 7,652,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Killing time over in the Food section and got me thinking about if/how our food tastes change as we age.

Spicy is usually the first to go---we eat much less spicy stuff than in the past due to DH's digestion issues. All age-related.

For some unknown reason, I no longer enjoy curry, cinnamon, nutmeg, broccoli, or most vegetables. All fruit juices taste too sweet. Jam/jelly is too sweet and most desserts are too sweet. Sometimes I think food just isn't as interesting to me as it used to be. Don't really "care"....

Anybody else feel like their tastebuds are a-changin'?

PS: Anyone remember Johnny Carson one time saying "I don't care what I eat. Peanut butter sandwich or lobster. Doesn't matter to me". Or something like that. I thought that was intriguing. Now, whether that was age-related, who knows.
I haven't found that I like spicy foods less. Not at all. I love spices, esp different kinds of peppers. Garlic is one of my favorites.

What I've noticed is that I eat LESS. I've been eating pretty healthy the last few years. Healthy foods are more filling than non-healthy ones, and are fairly boring, for the most part.

Old 06-04-2021, 11:34 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,113,257 times
Not me! None of my senses are dulled. Go vegetarian ( no meat, no fish, nothing made with dead creatures (gelatin, marshmellows, etc) Then, your body will be 'clean' and not contaminated by steroids, hormones, and who-knows-what. More than once in my life, I've been told my skin feels like silk.

And here is a very odd true story for you! I was walking thru an airport: all covered up since airports have their A/C cranked up, so I am constantly freezing. So the only thing showing was my face and my hands. Suddenly, a little oriental man stopped me and asked: "Can I ask you question?" I replied, "Yes."

He stated, not asked: "You are vegetarian, right?" I replied that I was.

He smiled and declared, "I KNEW IT" and off he went.

I was stunned, and he was long gone before I could even ask how he knew.

So.... taste buds, body health, spiritual health - who knows. I love food, cook very well, taste, smell, see, and hear very well, and enjoy it all. To each their own.

But you gotta wonder - do all those chemicals, and the fearhormones of creatures being slaughtered, does IT have anything to do with your health?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement