Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 10:02 AM

6,329 posts, read 4,247,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
As a School employer for the past 27 years, every June has contained a Last Day. This year is her final year, so today is her last, Last Day.

Too much bullying and ageism by Administration for her to work any longer. She has been stoic so far, but I expect tears tonight.

She submitted all final documents to the State Pension System last week, delivered her Notice Of Retirement to HR yesterday afternoon, and will be informing select coworkers today.

While I’m sad for the reason I hope this is the start of an exciting new chapter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 10:02 AM

20,080 posts, read 9,610,292 times
BEST wishes to you and your wife and I hope you share many wonderful and lovely years of retirement together.

And much respect to your wife for putting up with so much PC garbage in the past dozen or so years! Yes, she must be a true stoic!

Old 06-11-2021, 11:08 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,966,700 times
Congratulations to her! Hope you folks enjoy retirement together.

Old 06-11-2021, 12:01 PM

810 posts, read 1,187,695 times
Congratulations and here’s hoping you both enjoy retirement to the fullest!

Old 06-11-2021, 12:03 PM

4,299 posts, read 5,977,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Teachers here haven't worked for a year and a half while still getting full pay from the taxpayers. You can imagine what I think of teachers.
She has been working every school day since Sept. Sometimes tethered to her laptop for 7 hours/day doing virtual classroom instruction to Special Needs 5th Graders. Other times working in a 'socially distanced' classroom with everyone masked for the full 7 hours. Sometimes teaching half the students virtually while simultaneously teaching the other half 'live' in the classroom.

Teaching in the Pandemic arena was definitely a challenge this year but that is not what caused her to retire this year. It was a bullying building administrator, and the Klingon mean girl clique of other Staff who kissed up to the Administrator at every opportunity, who made her work life a living hell.

And for the NaySayers to V8Vega's comment; that is exactly what the District did for all Bus Drivers while the students were being instructed virtually at home. Many Drivers got a second job while receiving 6 hours/day of pay from the District to NOT WORK.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 06-11-2021 at 12:23 PM..

Old 06-11-2021, 12:07 PM

6,390 posts, read 13,208,804 times
Congrats!

Hope all your retirement dreams can be lived in reality now for the both of you.

Old 06-11-2021, 12:44 PM

17,622 posts, read 16,793,780 times
Your wife is very fortunate to be able to retire and walk away from an administration that is putting their employees under so much stress. I hope you both find great happiness in this next chapter of your life. If she still feels called to work with children maybe she can do so through church, assuming you belong to one, or she could even work as a tutor. I'm sure there are plenty of kids out there with some serious catching up to do.

Otherwise, plan some fun adventures together and enjoy! And don't look back.

Old 06-11-2021, 12:55 PM

22,125 posts, read 13,254,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
As a School employer for the past 27 years, every June has contained a Last Day. This year is her final year, so today is her last, Last Day.

Too much bullying and ageism by Administration for her to work any longer. She has been stoic so far, but I expect tears tonight.

She submitted all final documents to the State Pension System last week, delivered her Notice Of Retirement to HR yesterday afternoon, and will be informing select coworkers today.
Maybe it's different in your state (?), but where I work, HR is notified the minute you initiate the retirement process, which takes about a month to complete. So that probably didn't come as any surprise to HR yesterday afternoon! Did they nonetheless feign it?

It sounds as if she's retiring less out of choice than out of "necessity" due to unfavorable work conditions; to a degree, just as I did. It's not really the way anyone wants to go out.

I wish her well and hope she enjoys her free time anyway (it shouldn't be much of a shock to her system since she's used to having summers off?). If not, I hope her conflicts are as easily resolved as your sister's were. Or just send her here!

Old 06-11-2021, 01:00 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,576,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Teachers here haven't worked for a year and a half while still getting full pay from the taxpayers. You can imagine what I think of teachers.
Not sure were you are but teachers here have been working more than when they are in the classroom, anyone who thinks it's easy doing online teaching hasn't done it.

lol and almost every parent I know is ready to give teachers whatever they want, they got a taste of having to homeschool.

Everyone thinks every body elses job is easy until they do it.

Old 06-11-2021, 01:01 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,576,467 times
tell your wife congrats Op and thank her. Good teachers are phenomenal people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement