Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 03:22 PM

1,250 posts, read 678,246 times

Advertisements

If you had to take a wild guess, how much money do you think you might have wasted over the course of your lifetime?

I'll go first: A LOT, such as:

* Stuff I bought by mistake
* Stuff I bought and didn't use
* Groceries thrown out after going bad
* Bad restaurant meals that you couldn't eat
* Dentist upcharges for work you really didn't want or need
* Books that haven't been read
* Pet supplies never used
* Essentials for relatives that went to waste or were not utilized properly
* Bad plays and live music venues that you didn't enjoy
* Paying "experts" for negligible or bad advice
* Not renewing CDs at best rates (letting them roll over into paltry rates)
* Gifts for people that weren't used (probably donated or sold)
* Tax write-offs that weren't taken out of ignorance of yourself or tax advisor
* Money lost on pyramid scheme (young and had no idea what they were - back in 1970's)
* Working for less than market value
* Buying crap of one kind or another
* Useless collections (dolls, whatever)
* Not shopping for best deals on just about anything (airline tickets, etc.)
* Paying for other people's living expenses (rental deposits, rent, clothes, toiletries, etc.)
* "Special" coffee drinks
* Beauty supplies, creams, lotions that are still in your medicine cabinets
* Supplements that you have to throw out because they've expired
* Canned and boxed foods that you have to recycle because they've expired
* Single use water bottles, half used
* Late fees accrued when you could have paid on time, but forgot
* Cable TV fee that is outrageous but you don't know how to get same services for less

etc., etc.

Everyone's list will be different. Some won't have much of a list, some will have more big ticket items that were not necessary and you have regrets about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 04:15 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,157,091 times
Everything on your list except single use water bottles and cable tv. Never did pay for either of those.

Old 12-06-2021, 04:30 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Don't really see the utility in dredging up such a nitpicky list. Honestly, I'd rather go shovel snow (and there's lots of opportunity for this type of recreation here right now...there's a new 3' drift blocking the garage door and a deck buried at least that deep). At least that would be productive. I can't go back and change those past decisions. Hopefully and probably I managed to learn some lessons because of them. Prefer to go forward, not wallow in the past!

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-06-2021 at 04:40 PM..

Old 12-06-2021, 04:32 PM

1,414 posts, read 750,845 times
It would all pale compared to the money I spent on drugs in the 70s and 80s.

Old 12-06-2021, 04:38 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,801,283 times
$0

Spending money is like trying to build the light bulb. I've discovered 10,000 ways spending money doesn't work.

Old 12-06-2021, 05:05 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,122,166 times
It would have to be in the thousands.....

Just on food, I "waste" money every other week or so. I've cut down on that. But it still happens.

BUT, I also do not think of NOT shopping for THE lowest price on everything as wasting money.

Old 12-06-2021, 05:07 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
That is quite some list.

I don't have any books I've never read. I tend to read them over and over again. Two authors I enjoy immensely: Will McIntosh and James Howard Kunstler.

I rarely have to throw food out because DH will eat anything, no matter how long it's been in the fridge. That's also how he contracted bacterial pneumonia, BTW, so I don't recommend the practice of eating old food. He recovered eventually but he was down for a month in agonizing pain from chronic coughing.

We do have some canned cat food that is surely outdated by now.

You mentioned special coffee drinks. I had a serious chai habit for years. I don't think that was a waste of money as it made me happy. But chai concentrate is loaded with sugar. Had to give it up when I found there may be a link between sweet drinks and pancreatic cancer. It hasn't been definitively proven yet, but I don't want to find out the hard way. And I need to lose some more weight.

Old 12-06-2021, 05:09 PM

735 posts, read 452,368 times
I’d say: the most money I wasted was by marrying the wrong man (financially irresponsible), and a small amount on foods went bad that I had to throw out.

Old 12-06-2021, 05:11 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Define "wasted".

Old 12-06-2021, 06:22 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,425,125 times
5 acres got talked into buying out in the desert, there is so much land out there you can't give it away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement