Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 06:21 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,386,334 times

Advertisements

I have not bought anything on Amazon in almost two years, and was searching for a used book today. I noticed with surprise that the price was about triple from what I expected. A brief look into about dozen other books showed that this has indeed happened across the board: all the used books I checked out were listed for twice to four times the price for which you could order them 2.5 years ago! This is quite unbelievable! While the fact that I have thousands of used books (mostly from $1 library sales, some for $4-$8 sourced from Amazon) could make me a real profiteer if I decide to sell my home library in 30 years (if I can't see enough to read any more), it is still a rather unpleasant surprise. I have so many books that I don't think I want too many more, but still. Are paper books suddenly becoming valuable antiques, or is this just a general effect of inflation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2022, 06:23 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
My guess is that the rise in price is due to transportation costs skyrocketing (i.e. shipping to you), however Its just a guess.

Edit - I wonder if you would see the same increase shopping in person at a local book store?

Old 03-02-2022, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
My guess is that the rise in price is due to transportation costs skyrocketing (i.e. shipping to you), however Its just a guess.

Edit - I wonder if you would see the same increase shopping in person at a local book store?

Shipping has increased, but it is primarily the cost of books themselves. I was looking for a used paperback, not rare, not special, and expected to find it in "very good" condition for $2.50... the cheapest is in "acceptable" condition from Goodwill for $8.00 plus shipping. Other books I looked up (including some I bought just pre-pandemic) are likewise 2x to 4x what I expected, or paid for pre-pandemic.

Although I am normally an avid bookstore browser, I have not been inside a bookstore in two years either, so I don't know what the bookstore prices are now.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:05 AM

30,513 posts, read 16,213,477 times
my unofficial observation is that new books that used to cost around $25 are selling for $30.

If you want a specific book you will have to pay more than before. Rather surprising with the popularity of e-readers.

Locally there's a thrift store that sells used books for $5/bag.

You might try the library. You don't have to own a book to read it.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
my unofficial observation is that new books that used to cost around $25 are selling for $30.

If you want a specific book you will have to pay more than before. Rather surprising with the popularity of e-readers.

Locally there's a thrift store that sells used books for $5/bag.

You might try the library. You don't have to own a book to read it.

Of course I use the libraries too. But I peruse about 30 books from my home library on an average day. I like browsing at home too :-). I do have to own a book for the purpose of it always being on hand. Books are my security blanket in life (and an excellent sound insulation when one lives in a condo :-).

Old 03-02-2022, 07:21 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
As an AZ seller, I don't generally list a book for less than $8.00. Between shipping costs going up (and Amazon not raising what they charge the buyer) and fees, it's not worth it to sell for less. Sellers who sell a lot of books can get a pro account with smaller fees, that's not an option for me. Sellers who do Fulfillment by Amazon don't have to worry about shipping costs, so if you are looking for a heavy book at a low price, FBA sellers are your best bet. I still ship all my own books myself.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:46 AM

43,076 posts, read 18,246,291 times
I buy ebooks now and the price is reasonable. Hardcopy books have skyrocketed over the years. Even the "sale" books in bookstores are pricy.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:53 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times
Go to the Thriftbooks or Better World Books websites. The average price I pay for a book is between $4.00 and $7.00, including shipping.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:02 AM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
I'm keeping my own private library because I think that public libraries are eventually going to fall by the wayside thanks to ebooks and the digital age.

The problem is that the classics are being abridged. The works of great authors are being modified and dumbed down for today's readers. So, I hang onto my little library.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:21 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I'm keeping my own private library because I think that public libraries are eventually going to fall by the wayside thanks to ebooks and the digital age.

The problem is that the classics are being abridged. The works of great authors are being modified and dumbed down for today's readers. So, I hang onto my little library.
Yes, not only that, but I just bought a classic, Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell, that had a "warning" on the page prior to the start of the book that the novel presented racial stereotypes that might be offensive to some readers. I had enjoyed the television series with Judi Dench so I thought I would read the book, which I did, but I failed to see any racial stereotypes whatsoever. (As there were no characters in the novel that were not white Europeans, I thought it might have referred to the time the character's brother was in India, but nope, did not find anything offensive there.)

So maybe some publishers are publishing the warning "just in case"?

Last edited by katharsis; 03-02-2022 at 09:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement