Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 09:32 PM

23,952 posts, read 33,875,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I used to work at the library for the Denver Botanic Gardens and I can tell you that your gardening books may end up being deeply appreciated. If they have value for you, then they very well might have value for someone else.

One reason I hang on to my current book collection is because I lost my first book collection down to the very last volume twenty years ago. Long story but suffice it to say that I now treasure my books more than ever. I know that those books have real worth because I have a graduate degree in library science and I spent my entire professional career buying (and selling) books and soothing the complaints and demands of an entire large city's worth of library patrons.

But at the end of the day, I hold on to my books not for their monetary value but for their intrinsic value.

Thanks, I do hope someone will pick them up since they're obviously brand new shape. Good beginner books plus tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 06:29 AM

9,629 posts, read 5,423,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I have not bought anything on Amazon in almost two years, and was searching for a used book today. I noticed with surprise that the price was about triple from what I expected. A brief look into about dozen other books showed that this has indeed happened across the board: all the used books I checked out were listed for twice to four times the price for which you could order them 2.5 years ago! This is quite unbelievable! While the fact that I have thousands of used books (mostly from $1 library sales, some for $4-$8 sourced from Amazon) could make me a real profiteer if I decide to sell my home library in 30 years (if I can't see enough to read any more), it is still a rather unpleasant surprise. I have so many books that I don't think I want too many more, but still. Are paper books suddenly becoming valuable antiques, or is this just a general effect of inflation?
I have a Kindle but I would take a paper book over the e-version any day of the week. That's just me. I love holding a book.

We have a local used book store that I frequent regularly. Also, the local grocery store has a 'donated books' shelf (books are $1) and I've gotten some really good ones there!

I think you could be a private seller of 'used' on Amazon.

Old 03-05-2022, 01:00 PM

48,718 posts, read 35,264,403 times
We just went to the thrift shops because I am looking for pottery planters and baskets, and they had a whole room of books, take a shopping bag, fill it up.... $5.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-05-2022, 01:49 PM

1,409 posts, read 759,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
The price of a book depends upon any number of things. You got 4 books at a price of 3.00/book. That seems like a pretty reasonable price to me. If a 3.00 book feels too extravagant for you then just don't buy it. If you are dying to read it, just check it out from your same local library. Nothing beats free!

Your library has to pay for the transportation and shipping of books just like everyone else. It would be wonderful if sellers shipped books to public libraries for free, but that's unlikely to happen anytime soon.

If a hard cover edition of a book is available, I will always buy hc over paperback. Often, it's actually cheaper to buy the hc over the pb. For example, I decided to add to my own collection of books on the Civil War. I wanted to purchase the 3 volume set that was written by historian, Shelby Foote. I checked out the prices on Amazon this afternoon and discovered that I could buy each volume of the set, condition "used like new" hc for 8.00 per volume. The pb edition was also offered up for sale - only at $20.00 per volume or $80.00 for the set. Guess which one I decided to buy?

I love actual books. The only e-books I buy are throw away mass market thrillers and mysteries. I have no need to clutter up my book shelves with garbage. If I like a book (and I always like books), I'll often reread it for a second or more time. Books are the soul of a room. My books and I bond for 20 years or more and I've been known to kick the TV out of my living room in favor of more shelves for my books. When I die, my collection will go to my local library where I know that my beloved books will be appreciated for their true value.

If young folks prefer e-books, more power to 'em.
I've actually just found a new book seller of used books not far from home. I won't pay the 4.00 for a used book at my library when now I can get books at this new place for 1.00. I can buy 4 times the one from the library. The donations at my library, very well populated area, are huge. They need to stop donations a couple of times a year due to the enormous contributions.

It's starting to sound like there is a fair amount of "book boasting" going on.

Old 03-05-2022, 02:05 PM

My mother and I exchange books frequently. She is 92 and when I have suggested she "downsize" her book collection she insists she won't. These books are not collectables, nothing people would drive to pick over and buy. They are important to her NOW, but I tell her they won't be important but more of a PIA when she is gone, and someone needs to clear them out. Not a fun time.

Old 03-05-2022, 03:50 PM

14,267 posts, read 7,027,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villabella22201 View Post
I've actually just found a new book seller of used books not far from home. I won't pay the 4.00 for a used book at my library when now I can get books at this new place for 1.00. I can buy 4 times the one from the library. The donations at my library, very well populated area, are huge. They need to stop donations a couple of times a year due to the enormous contributions.

It's starting to sound like there is a fair amount of "book boasting" going on.
Doesn't it depend on where you find books that you want to read? How can you go solely by price? That new place may have only junk. Or might have only old textbooks, or whatever. The $1 books may not be something you want to read.

Old 03-05-2022, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Doesn't it depend on where you find books that you want to read? How can you go solely by price? That new place may have only junk. Or might have only old textbooks, or whatever. The $1 books may not be something you want to read.
They have quite a selection, stacks and stacks. I took the time to look, that's how one would know... Yes? I never said I go only by price but for used books it is important to me. That is how you interpreted it. I don't care to waste money.

Old 03-05-2022, 06:29 PM

10,515 posts, read 7,111,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I have not bought anything on Amazon in almost two years, and was searching for a used book today. I noticed with surprise that the price was about triple from what I expected. A brief look into about dozen other books showed that this has indeed happened across the board: all the used books I checked out were listed for twice to four times the price for which you could order them 2.5 years ago! This is quite unbelievable! While the fact that I have thousands of used books (mostly from $1 library sales, some for $4-$8 sourced from Amazon) could make me a real profiteer if I decide to sell my home library in 30 years (if I can't see enough to read any more), it is still a rather unpleasant surprise. I have so many books that I don't think I want too many more, but still. Are paper books suddenly becoming valuable antiques, or is this just a general effect of inflation?
Just the opposite, actually. Books are a tremendously bad investment. Unless you have a first edition w/ a famous author's signature that can be authenticated.

Buy them to read/enjoy them. You may find having thousands of books to be nothing more than a burden, sooner or later.
There's always "kindle."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement