Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 05:42 PM

2,418 posts, read 1,542,373 times

Advertisements

That I retired sooner, rather than later.

I cried uncle at 55. Then hit the road to travel. I visited a lot of national parks & national monuments. Too many to list. Even the lesser known units are quite spectacular.

Along the way, I've met quite a few that waited too late. Then when it was their time, they didn't have the energy or physical ability to enjoy the experience.

Last edited by Monello; 05-08-2022 at 05:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2022, 05:50 PM

17,448 posts, read 16,626,469 times
Independence
Freedom
Good health
Security
Being physically and mentally active and able

I've always appreciated my husband and my kids, that hasn't changed. Family and friends are also important and always have been. But I'm seeing the wisdom of being my own priority. The more I care for me the more I'll have to give to others.

Old 05-08-2022, 06:07 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,167,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I'm turning 75 this week. As I contemplate my (young) old age, it occurs to me that there are things that I am appreciating more and more as the years pass. For example:

Quiet
Careful, defensive drivers who use their turn signals
The love of a grandchild
Rainy days (I live in Florida and I get tired of so much sunshine)
Ice cream (I mean, I always liked it, but ...)
Sleep

How about you?
I'm 54. Years ago I watched my dad age gracefully until he passed at a ripe old age. Quite a while ago now. Not old enough, but tell me who I can file a complaint with about that?

SO I contemplate this a bit too, in conjunction with what my dad valued in his 60s then 70s. Twenty two years of retirement. He lived well, and chose to embrace life as a retiree. He was never bored or depressed AFAIK.

What my dad appreciated in his 70s:

Opportunity to drive long distances and be paid a modest sum (he drove for a funeral home retrieving the deceased from a multi-state area back to MI). He loved to drive.

Me: ditto, when money doesn't matter and there's time to appreciate the scenery. My time is money at-current so I'm deadline driven. One day that won't matter. I like long motorcycle trips. Dad was not into bikes.

Camping. Embracing nature. He tent camped. Every week or so he'd check into a motel to "remove the grunge" as he called it. I've camped enough to know exactly what he meant.

Me: I don't know yet if I feel that strongly about it. Nature, yes. Camping, TBD.

Golf. Not sure he ever beat 85 on 18 holes in his life. He didn't care.

Me: don't care at this time. I've never shot a hole of golf in my life. If I start when old I'll be frustrated; unlike my dad I like to win and am quite competitive.

Letting the past go. My dad never brooded on old insults, only time I recall is when a friend of 30 years screwed him out of $2K loan...and ghosted. He never discussed his career and didn't care. He put that aside and moved on. He moved on from my mom's passing (she 61, he 63) in a few years. Always looking forward, was my dad. When he passed he had a brochure for an upcoming cruise in his hand. Seriously, couldn't make this up. I framed it.

Weather. Early 2000s, dad had the papers to a condo in Tampa area in his hand and....didn't pull the trigger. He loved the varied weather in SE MI, his home of 41 years (where I grew up). And he passed away there too. Due in part to a weather event. The irony did not escape me, and were he alive he'd chuckle about it too.

Me: I may have fully embraced the PacNW due to the water and four seasons too. Apple, meet tree and "not-falling-far-from."

Old 05-08-2022, 07:07 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,088,439 times
It's always the simple things that are appreciated as we age. Things like waking up each morning, knowing where you are and who you are. Being able to get out of bed and perform your daily care, independently, being able to get in your car or other means of transport, know where you are going and know how to get back home safely. There are those who have mountains of money, but are unable to enjoy it because they cannot travel, eat as they'd like or literally have nothing on which to spend their money in ways that bring them enjoyment. No amount of money can restore youth, or good health once that's gone. Those folks are poor, despite their financial riches!

Old 05-09-2022, 06:46 AM

19,893 posts, read 9,448,503 times
Good thread! Thanks for starting it!

My answer: Continued good health of myself and my husband. (Knock wood.)

More and more I am seeing more people about my age (68) with one major problem or another, needing one surgery or another, being on meds, etc. I have no idea how long it will last, but I am grateful for every day I can still walk, see, etc.

P.S. I saw a t-shirt in catalog with a funny message I thought I would share. It went something like,
"I don't mind getting older, but my body is throwing a hissy fit."

Old 05-09-2022, 07:20 AM

6,758 posts, read 8,603,557 times
A good dog
A good horse
A good rifle
A good secluded mountain range
A good campfire on a cool evening
A good bourbon and a steak grilled just right.

Old 05-09-2022, 07:28 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,530,508 times
"The older I get, the more I appreciate........."

The senior discounts and I get!

Old 05-09-2022, 07:35 AM

1,550 posts, read 1,203,647 times
Time.

Old 05-09-2022, 09:20 AM

6,355 posts, read 4,942,103 times
All of the above, especially the senior discount thing.

Plus: no mortgage, no car loans, no debt.

And I just qualified for the senior property tax assessment freeze.

Old 05-09-2022, 09:26 AM

36,454 posts, read 16,060,830 times
My Dad (93)
My house and property and view (next to Dad), 1 acre
My family
Health
My time...only been retired a month or so still getting use to it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement