Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 05:14 PM

425 posts, read 191,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
When he dies, and she gets the death certificate, she should go into the Social Security office, to present the death certificate. They will give her the rundown of when she could collect, when her full retirement age is now, her $255, and other information like what she needs to bring when she files for widows benefits. Which is usually her marriage license, if this was her second marriage her divorce decree from the first one, all the relevant things she needs to have.
Yes that's a great idea. I'll pass that on. I don't trust their knowledge 100% but it certainly wouldn't hurt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2022, 09:35 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorYetRich View Post
Yes that's a great idea. I'll pass that on. I don't trust their knowledge 100% but it certainly wouldn't hurt
It wasn’t clear that she picked the age of 62, or she thought that was the earliest she could collect. Some people do have that feeling because they hear 62 all the time and don’t realize that with widows benefits it’s earlier and you can collect at 60.

Regarding SSI, she’s entitled to it. She paid into that system by working.

Old 05-21-2022, 09:51 PM

Quote:
It wasn’t clear that she picked the age of 62, or she thought that was the earliest she could collect. Some people do have that feeling because they hear 62 all the time and don’t realize that with widows benefits it’s earlier and you can collect at 60.

Regarding SSI, she’s entitled to it. She paid into that system by working.
Yes she knows Survivors Benefits are as early as 60. She is not keen on SSI, partially due to the restrictions. You can only have 2k in your bank account, no retirement accounts allowed (they are considered assetts) and since it's a welfare program, it's really stringent. She may not qualify for SSI if they have a bank acct over 2k, I am not sure.

Old 05-21-2022, 10:04 PM

The urgency is less now that his palms seem to be okay. He's not feeling woozy anymore so maybe it was an after affect of COVID. They were sick for 4 weeks straight so it was surely COVID or some variant

Old 05-22-2022, 04:26 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Yes she knows Survivors Benefits are as early as 60. She is not keen on SSI, partially due to the restrictions. You can only have 2k in your bank account, no retirement accounts allowed (they are considered assetts) and since it's a welfare program, it's really stringent. She may not qualify for SSI if they have a bank acct over 2k, I am not sure.

SSI as you say has restrictions as it's for poor people. She may be better off applying for social security disability.

Old 05-22-2022, 10:37 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,195,052 times
Quote:
You made it sound like they are completely destitute and her going blind while he is dying imminently

So we pitched all the ideas including the supplemental security income help from the government so she wouldn’t starve.

Now it seems that she will be ok even in the unfortunate event of her husband’s untimely death.

They seem to have some assets and looks like she is trying to maximize her SS - obviously she has some resources to be able to do that.

A lot of our fellow Americans are in much worse situation for different reasons beyond their control.

Your friend will be ok or even better off then a lot of people…I wish her well.
You should stop worrying too..

Old 05-22-2022, 10:41 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times
Quote:
Just an FYI...if she takes her survivor benefits at 60, they will be reduced.

Old 05-22-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
You made it sound like they are completely destitute and her going blind while he is dying imminently
Yes that's what I acknowledged. That now that his palms are better, she seems less panicked.

[quote] So we pitched all the ideas including the supplemental security income help from the government so she wouldn’t starve.[/quotes]
Yes thank you so much for that.

Quote:
Now it seems that she will be ok even in the unfortunate event of her husband’s untimely death.
Yes I am wondering. She started him hawing a bit later on after his palms got better. She made it sound like they were destitute but now I wonder. She's not told me if they have assetts but I know she worked in her 20's so it's possible.

Quote:
They seem to have some assets and looks like she is trying to maximize her SS - obviously she has some resources to be able to do that.
Very well could be. I am wondering about it. Probably shouldn't have jumped the gun like I did.

Quote:
A lot of our fellow Americans are in much worse situation for different reasons beyond their control.

Your friend will be ok or even better off then a lot of people…I wish her well.
You should stop worrying too..
Thank you. To boot, there is a new neighbor who moved in near her. She's been hiking w/ him a few times. He has a 100K RV+ newer Tesla and says he is going to live here half time, mostly during winter which seemed odd (we have bigtime snow)but they sure seem compatible. Meaning if he passes away, maybe they will get together. She's good looking and thin. She can hike but not hairy trails due to her eyes. He's not as down to earth as she is but they have many of the same interests like playing scrabble, hiking, food foraging, etc. He works seasonally at a resort that provides housing.

Old 05-22-2022, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
SSI as you say has restrictions as it's for poor people. She may be better off applying for social security disability.
That may end up to be the best solution. I called and she said her online SS acct read $769!! that is a surprisingly large amt of $

Old 05-22-2022, 10:49 AM

Thanks everyone for your help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement