Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 05:25 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,212,275 times

Advertisements

Ha! Twilight Zone is my favorite show ever and Willoughby is my favorite episode. So great.

For me, my sense is the novelty of a town like that might wear off after awhile, but I surely get the attraction to that mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 06:13 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
I am so close to retirement, and I have worked full time for the past 42 years. I find myself dreaming of retiring to a simpler place, not unlike Gart Williams in the Twilight Zone episode "Stop at Willoughby"

https://youtu.be/tmLh2LMT2Gc

While I may not dream of Willoughby, Ohio, I dream of finding a quaint old-fashioned small town stuck in time where a person can live comfortably on social security alone. My searches have steered me toward northwest Arkansas or the Appalachian region of Tennessee, due to cost of living, taxes, number of small olf fashioned towns and an abundance of affordable older homes (pre-1950s)

Where do you dream of retiring to?
We must run parallel paths. My pre-retirement search led to northwest Arkansas and the southern Appalachian region roughly along the I-81 corridor. I eventually wound up in northeast TN (in one of those pre-1950 homes) where I will retire in another few years. Not quite Willoughby, but I've been happy with my decision.

Old 08-05-2022, 06:16 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,332,943 times
My wife and are are fortunate enough that we've already bought our retirement home. It's lake front at a lake near where my wife grew up at. Rural, small town, peaceful and all the things I covet for retirement. We've already made amazing friends and look forward to our weekends at the lake where we escape the DC area.

I look forward to retirement more than ever after buying this home with this view:

Old 08-05-2022, 06:42 AM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
My Willoughby is a small beachfront subdivision nestled away from tall buildings. A place were the water is clearer than the pool's and neighbors are respectful of other people's property and privacy.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:15 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
I find myself dreaming of retiring to a simpler place, not unlike Gart Williams in the Twilight Zone episode "Stop at Willoughby"
We had a trip to Sweden last year to visit a new In-law. Her parents live in a small town in the southern part of the country. My first thought on arrival there was "I'm in Willoughby!" There was a small lake with a park next to it - flowers everywhere - small shops, restaurants, etc and spotlessly clean. We hit it at a perfect time of year for weather. I couldn't handle the cold weather during other times of the year, but it was idyllic on our visit.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:31 AM

2,343 posts, read 614,301 times
Quote:
I am so close to retirement, and I have worked full time for the past 42 years. I find myself dreaming of retiring to a simpler place, not unlike Gart Williams in the Twilight Zone episode "Stop at Willoughby"

https://youtu.be/tmLh2LMT2Gc

While I may not dream of Willoughby, Ohio, I dream of finding a quaint old-fashioned small town stuck in time where a person can live comfortably on social security alone. My searches have steered me toward northwest Arkansas or the Appalachian region of Tennessee, due to cost of living, taxes, number of small olf fashioned towns and an abundance of affordable older homes (pre-1950s)

Where do you dream of retiring to?
42 years an SS alone? No 401K, or pension in the jobs you worked in? I figure you are probably my age and most of us in our late 50's have at least a 401 or 403K that we could contribute to for years. I have TSP that I have and a separate ROTH that I started in the 1990's. That will be in addition to my Annuity that I will get. I have 39 years now and expect to retire at 42 years myself.

I'm staying in TX - Possibly right where I am at as we are close to our oldest daughter and 2 grandkids with her. If not here, maybe New Braunfels - 4 hours from her - but close to my BFF and more amenities than here.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:37 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
My wife and are are fortunate enough that we've already bought our retirement home. It's lake front at a lake near where my wife grew up at. Rural, small town, peaceful and all the things I covet for retirement. We've already made amazing friends and look forward to our weekends at the lake where we escape the DC area.

I look forward to retirement more than ever after buying this home with this view:
This is lovely! Good for you!!

Old 08-05-2022, 08:53 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
We hit it at a perfect time of year for weather. I couldn't handle the cold weather during other times of the year, but it was idyllic on our visit.
It's how I feel about Maine - it's perfect!

Then winter comes. And, I hate cold weather.

We moved to Virginia from NY. Lower costs, four seasons without a harsh winter. In NY, I dreaded dark and cold Thanksgivings because I knew winter was beginning with four months of darkness. Virginia's Thanksgiving has beautiful fall weather and bright sunshine.

I still like Maine for summer.

Old 08-05-2022, 09:16 AM

9,132 posts, read 6,185,387 times
I would have like to be retired in NYC.

The availability of entertainment, medical facilities, restaurants, and transportation made it tops for my retirement list. No need to drive; you can walk or take public transportation.

While some smaller cities have venues for concerts and shows, their venues do not equate to Carnegie Hall or the Metropolitan Opera House.

Unfortunately, family circumstances required that I leave NYC and live with a car in my driveway in the south.

Fortunately, bagels can be shipped, and pastrami is only a FedEx package away. Sigh.

Old 08-05-2022, 09:19 AM

1,492 posts, read 795,625 times
The problem I see with rural living is the lack of medical care nearby. As you get older you will need more of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement