Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 05:37 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times

Advertisements

Consider that if you simply vacation during the worst parts of a northern winter, you have the freedom to travel to different destinations in different years. Or not. If you own/maintain both summer and winter residences, you may not be able to afford travel anywhere else or feel "obligated" to use what you already have. Of course, people are free to have different preferences, but for me, knowing there's a property of mine sitting unoccupied (or occupied by strangers) and potentially at risk because of it would drive me nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2022, 05:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagman View Post
Hi
... We like the change of seasons and it is very nice here about 4-5 months a year. ....
Sound's like majority of yr might be preferred elsewhere.
I found it was nicer to visit my previous home (when the weather was nice) rather than have to live there FT.

thus... I would consider a domicile in income tax free state, and be somewhat mobile until I found a nest.
SD offers FT income tax free domicile for only ONE overnight per lifetime. I kinda like no state income tax hassles. (Tho I'm not SD domiciled, yet). I like my Enhanced DL too well to relocate domicile to SD. But eventually I will.

'Home-bodies' can use alternative residences* rather than tie up a bundle of cash in a home they seldolm use.

* Rentals, shared equity, co-op, investment props, MIL cottages, friends, farms, camps, hotels, RV's, cruise ships...

International living is also suitable to some, and desired by many.

Old 09-20-2022, 07:54 PM

76 posts, read 47,086 times
Quote:
Hi

My wife and I live in northern Michigan and are nearing retirement. We like the change of seasons and it is very nice here about 4-5 months a year. The problem is the other months. We are debating to snowbird a few months of the year or to relocate to an area with more moderate winters and at least some more sunshine. Please, anyone who has made this decision or has other suggestions or destination ideas comment away !!. Thanks.
If you have the financial resources, snowbird. Buy one or two low maintenence townhomes or such in well run HOAs and you have no worries.

Old 09-21-2022, 03:58 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
I know plenty of snowbirds.

The ones that are tired of it pack up all kinds of things and drive there over several days.

The ones that love it have cars and everything else at both places. They just get on a plane with their carry on and are there in a few hours.

Old 09-21-2022, 04:51 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Consider that if you simply vacation during the worst parts of a northern winter, you have the freedom to travel to different destinations in different years. Or not. If you own/maintain both summer and winter residences, you may not be able to afford travel anywhere else or feel "obligated" to use what you already have. Of course, people are free to have different preferences, but for me, knowing there's a property of mine sitting unoccupied (or occupied by strangers) and potentially at risk because of it would drive me nuts.
I feel the same way and want to stay at different southern locations. Owning a second home would be too much of a hassle and expense. Granted it might be a good investment with appreciation. I want the flexibility. Might even go the small travel trailer route.

Old 09-21-2022, 07:22 AM

1,078 posts, read 628,287 times
Quote:
Hi

My wife and I live in northern Michigan and are nearing retirement. We like the change of seasons and it is very nice here about 4-5 months a year. The problem is the other months. We are debating to snowbird a few months of the year or to relocate to an area with more moderate winters and at least some more sunshine. Please, anyone who has made this decision or has other suggestions or destination ideas comment away !!. Thanks.
I snowbirded last winter in South Florida, and loved it! But I'm not ready to commit to going back this year, and as I write this I'm exploring UNESCO towns in Mexico. I committed to a longer lease term in Florida, and I'm now utilizing Airbnb in Mexico until I decide which area I want to commit to for the rest of the season.

I recommend searching for rentals in some of the areas you and your wife have thought about moving to, and try out each place at least for a month. Airbnb will be the best way to go for a one-month stay; using an agent may be the better option when locking up a rental for the full snowbirding season.

Old 09-21-2022, 07:22 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
My in-laws brought a townhouse in Naples Florida in the early 1980's.

They were snowbirds. However, my MIL insisted on coming back up north for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It seemed like every January, on the trip down south, there was some type of snow delay.

When my FIL began his decline, they stopped going. It's been empty for a decade now. My MIL is too ill to go down to pack it up. Instead, she pays the monthly maintenance and I guess will give it to one of her daughters.

If you sell before you're too old to use it, it works well. A rental is easier.

Old 09-21-2022, 07:49 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
We would rather vacation in different places, not go back to the same place year after year. Owning 2 homes just doubles all the expenses, and hassles. Now that there are so many short term and long term rentals on the internet, you can find great places to rent for a few weeks to a few months if you like. No need to take on all the extra costs and worries of maintaining 2 homes.

Old 09-21-2022, 08:12 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
We were snowbirds for many winters. Lived upstate NY, had a motorhome and left for five months a year. Sometimes just traveling around the country. Water circuit breaker shut off, mail forwarded (most mail was electronic, which is how we paid bills) heat down to 60, arrangements for a weekly check, snow plowing, toilets off, and we left.

Medical care was one of the big reasons we stopped. We were used to medical care in NJ (lived NY) and some places where we stayed (FL Keys) it was like being in a third world country. I would advise renting here and there before moving. Important is making friends, activities, organizations. It isn't only the weather.

Last edited by Ellwood; 09-21-2022 at 08:33 AM..

Old 09-21-2022, 09:48 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,308,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
A person can snowbird without owning 2 residences. Just rent during the winter.
If renting in the snowbird location, you can try different areas each year. It's fun to explore different areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement