Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it proper to take advantage of "Senior Discounts" When Healthy and Employed
Yes, totally proper, you "paid into" the system 103 89.57%
No, it's taking advantage 4 3.48%
Take totally random and fickle advantage of system 4 3.48%
Others, and all, please post, even if you didn't vote or vote, here, "other" 4 3.48%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 07:16 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Maybe off-topic, but does taking advantage of "senior pricing" for movies count? I am 65, perfectly active and healthy, and feel terrible when I punch the "over 62" button.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^No. Anyone over 62 gets the discount. It isn't means tested for assets or income.

If you "feel terrible" because you can perfectly well "afford" to pay full price, then don't use the discount.

It may not be a direct analogy, but to me that'd be the same as someone who can well "afford" to retire feeling guilty for holding a job that someone else could use more.

Neither case is exploiting a policy or contract in one's favor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Have you been paying full price for movies from the age of 18 to 61? You've paid into the system then, right?
I guess the reason I "feel terrible" about utilizing senior discounts is that my life-style is not "senior" and, aside from Medicare, no aspect of my income is yet "fixed." I grew up assuming that entertainment and transportation give elders a break is that they are often on fixed incomes. On the other hand, I learned, in college, that a reason for "children's prices" is that taking five people out for dinner could be a financial commitment and the establishments still gain extra revenues. So I'm torn.

Bottom line, I use the discounts on an arbitrary or sporadic basis. There's no pattern .

Note to moderators: I quoted this from another thread, and started a new one some as not to encourage "thread drift." Mods, if this belongs in "Retirement", please move it but I know there are rules on inter-forum quotes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2022, 07:55 AM

6,817 posts, read 11,548,200 times
It’s not a “retiree” discount, it’s a senior discount. If you qualify age wise, that’s all that matters, IMO.

Old 11-12-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
It’s not a “retiree” discount, it’s a senior discount. If you qualify age wise, that’s all that matters, IMO.
The “devil’s advocate” position, could be “take what you need and leave the rest” (The Band, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down). If I don’t need should I take?

Old 11-12-2022, 08:14 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
You will no doubt be REALLY shocked at me... I take advantage of a free food giveaway occasionally because food waste is a huge pet peeve of mine, and the only requirement is that one be over 55 to participate. This is food that would otherwise be thrown in the dumpster. It's either expired (which doesn't bother me, as most "sell by" or "best by" dates are actually meaningless, although stores are compelled to dispose of them) or just about to expire. It's not hugely attended because, as might be expected, a lot of people are squeamish about "old" food. I questioned them closely to ensure it wasn't means-tested and even asked if I should do this, but they assured me I should because more participants means more donations. Do I feel "guilty" about it? A little, but I still do it...

I also request the senior discount coffee at McDonald's. Cheap and shameless, I tell you!

Old 11-12-2022, 08:28 AM

61,725 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
This^^^!

Old 11-12-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You will no doubt be REALLY shocked at me... I take advantage of a free food giveaway occasionally because food waste is a huge pet peeve of mine, and the only requirement is that one be over 55 to participate. This is food that would otherwise be thrown in the dumpster. It's either expired (which doesn't bother me, as most "sell by" or "best by" dates are actually meaningless, although stores are compelled to dispose of them) or just about to expire. It's not hugely attended because, as might be expected, a lot of people are squeamish about "old" food. I questioned them closely to ensure it wasn't means-tested and even asked if I should do this, but they assured me I should because more participants means more donations. Do I feel "guilty" about it? A little, but I still do it...

I also request the senior discount coffee at McDonald's. Cheap and shameless, I tell you!
In that case I readily take free leftovers. Indeed I will likely take leftover challah and fruit from the Torah study buffet in about 23 minutes. That is a different problem as the waste will feed the coyotes or the dumpster.

Old 11-12-2022, 09:03 AM

I found out I'm ALSO eligible for a free daily meal at the senior center simply for being a member; these can be eaten on site or picked up as frozen dinners. To date I've not taken advantage of this, but I often wonder why I haven't. And I might. Again, it's not means-tested; the only requirement is that you be over age 60. Our tax dollars at work, I guess, and heaven knows I've paid into that long enough! Whenever I hear/read about all the freebies people on public assistance get, that assuages any guilt about what little I get...

Old 11-12-2022, 09:48 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
I'm assuming you're asking about Sr. Discounts one might get at a restaurant or for some place that sells something e.g. discounts at Goodwill on certain days.

Those are based on one's age. It's not taking advantage of anything. The discounts are for marketing purposes: get those Seniors in the door to buy something. I'm 60, fully employed and would use a discount if I was aware of it.

Free meals or food--probably not.

Old 11-12-2022, 11:36 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

yes - I used to help at the monthly food bank distribution we had here, and I encourage everyone to go.

So much food would go to waste. And it isn't means tested - so anyone can go.

The products are mostly given to the food bank by the large grocery chain here. I've never seen any expired items.

Old 11-12-2022, 12:29 PM

It's not "the food bank" nor the monthly distribution boxes, which are fresh foods. That's separate (and it may be means-tested; I'm not sure; I don't partake). It's such things as wrapped deli sandwiches, packaged salads, dairy products, and fresh produce that quickly goes "bad" and has a shelf life of a few days. Some are definitely a day or two past their expiration dates and couldn't be sold. Still perfectly edible, however. I'd say it's dumpster diving without the dumpster, but some would take exception to that! I agree it's criminal how much food is wasted, and so-called expiration (sell-by/best-by) dates are the culprit.

Last edited by otterhere; 11-12-2022 at 12:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement