Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2022, 09:59 AM

4,235 posts, read 4,754,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huitrecouture View Post
Right? And it's not like Medicaid is dragging their feet it's the OP not providing them the paperwork.

And it really makes no difference how much the two types of SS pay. She's for sure not in the high earning bracket of SS so either way the payment will be a drop in the bucket. And OP is talking like she'll be in SNF for the rest of her life which I don't understand if she's doing rehab. I guess it's a poverty thing.

ALSO some rehab specific SNFs will release you if you're not making progress. I guess this is not one of them since they are doing her paperwork but THEY may chose to stop the rehab anyway.
I never said the nursing facility is doing her paperwork. They are not. The paperwork was submitted by the hospital when she was admitted back in April.

What may be a 'drop in the bucket' to you could mean a lot to someone like me 'if' I were to end up in a situation needing to care for my mom in my home with no other support financially or otherwise from anyone else. I mean, she cannot stand or use the bathroom or toilet or bathe or walk or get dressed without assistance. Not to mention the incontinence.

I should state - the nursing home did indeed tell me that therapy would stop if/when she plateaus. They didn't specifically state that she would also be released when that happens. But I do think she's 'at risk' of that happening (at least, I'm basing this on not having any further details regarding the program she's in at this particular time just yet).

I'm just curious..what makes you think she 'wouldn't' potentially be in at least 'some' sort of SNF for the remainder of her life if she doesn't make much further progress rehab-wise? After all...SNFs, to my understanding, are for people in her type of condition who need 24-hour skilled nursing care.

Right..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2022, 12:55 PM

746 posts, read 497,343 times
Mom will most likely be enrolled in this program with you being paid to care for her. That's just a guess but they are moving away from Skilled Nursing home living, it's too expensive. This is a Federal Program but state specific so it can vary

https://www.medicaidplanningassistan...hoices-waiver/

I would call your local welfare office and ask about it. Ask about the hourly rate of pay, (here it is min wage or a few cents more). Your mom would surely qualify for either the max of 160 hrs a month or 283 hrs. per month in our state since she is essentially bed-bound. The only people I knew who got the max hours their grown daughters still worked full time at home to keep their jobs.

The lady I knew paid a neighbor with a toddler about 65% of min wage during the day to stay with the mom. She didn't diaper her, really didn't do much but stay and assist with feeding, cooking, slight housework. More of a companion. In our state, a parent who is caring for a child doesn't get taxes taken out of their check and they do not owe any taxes, sorta like a stipend but they do get min wage. You may be able to find a young mom willing to show up with her baby to stay with Mom and pay her cash. Of course keep mom on that charity care as long as possible. So sorry you are in this position

Old 11-08-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip-Squeak View Post
Mom will most likely be enrolled in this program with you being paid to care for her. That's just a guess but they are moving away from Skilled Nursing home living, it's too expensive. This is a Federal Program but state specific so it can vary

https://www.medicaidplanningassistan...hoices-waiver/

I would call your local welfare office and ask about it. Ask about the hourly rate of pay, (here it is min wage or a few cents more). Your mom would surely qualify for either the max of 160 hrs a month or 283 hrs. per month in our state since she is essentially bed-bound. The only people I knew who got the max hours their grown daughters still worked full time at home to keep their jobs.

The lady I knew paid a neighbor with a toddler about 65% of min wage during the day to stay with the mom. She didn't diaper her, really didn't do much but stay and assist with feeding, cooking, slight housework. More of a companion. In our state, a parent who is caring for a child doesn't get taxes taken out of their check and they do not owe any taxes, sorta like a stipend but they do get min wage. You may be able to find a young mom willing to show up with her baby to stay with Mom and pay her cash. Of course keep mom on that charity care as long as possible. So sorry you are in this position
Thank you.

The Community Choices Waiver is indeed something I'd planning on looking into if there comes a point where she has to leave the nursing home. It states:

"Program beneficiaries can reside in their own home, the home of a loved one, an adult foster care home, or an assisted living residence (also called a community residential care facility)."

^So I'd been hoping that perhaps she could get funding to pay to live in assisted living if she is a candidate to do such. Again, that is if we come to point where she has to leave the nursing home. I am not 100% sure I want to deal with caregivers here as I'm already struggling just to get an agency to send someone out to see/support her once a week.

Old 11-08-2022, 02:16 PM

My original question for this thread was with respect to whether my mom would get the entirety of her SSDI payments or not.

So at this point, it seems based on a few anecdotal responses, that will 'not' be the case.

I have concluded that with respect to the 'using mom's money to pay for less expensive care in a lower cost of living country', that that would have to be done via her social security, not SSDI, and said social security would not kick in until 66 & 8 months, which is her FRA.

Anyone can correct me if I misunderstood anything.

Old 11-08-2022, 04:19 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,777,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
My original question for this thread was with respect to whether my mom would get the entirety of her SSDI payments or not.

So at this point, it seems based on a few anecdotal responses, that will 'not' be the case.

I have concluded that with respect to the 'using mom's money to pay for less expensive care in a lower cost of living country', that that would have to be done via her social security, not SSDI, and said social security would not kick in until 66 & 8 months, which is her FRA.

I don’t think anyone knows how SSDI would impact her situation in a nursing home. The payments are going to go to her, but then the home might want to get paid. You’d have to discuss with them.

Not sure why you’ve concluded what you have with regard to SSDI vs SS. You can get SSDI in a foreign country. You can take SS at any age between 62 and 70. There’s nothing really too magical about FRA.

Old 11-08-2022, 04:31 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,331,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I don’t think anyone knows how SSDI would impact her situation in a nursing home. The payments are going to go to her, but then the home might want to get paid. You’d have to discuss with them.

Not sure why you’ve concluded what you have with regard to SSDI vs SS. You can get SSDI in a foreign country. You can take SS at any age between 62 and 70. There’s nothing really too magical about FRA.
If she's in a care home in the US, she will never see her SSDI or SS check - they go directly to the care provider she will get a small allotment for personal needs usually less than $100 a month.

Old 11-08-2022, 04:33 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,331,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post

She will still get SSDI in a foreign country, how she spends it is up to her. The only program where she would not get paid if out of the us is SSI.

Old 11-08-2022, 04:43 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,289,467 times
Since she is so low income, you might have to apply for Medicaid - they will pay for a nursing home.

But then her SS checks will go to them and she will get a small stipend for her personal use - under 100 dollars.

Old 11-08-2022, 05:12 PM

4,282 posts, read 5,944,568 times
This might be a stuid question, but how could she qualify for SSDI unless she had been employed until a health condition developed, or injury happened, which now makes continuing in her job impossible?

I saw no reference to recent employment or injury, but I also did not read every page of posts.

My older sister was admitted to a Nursing Facility in February of this year as a Hospice patient. Being 69 she had been receiving SS benefits for a few years. After admission her SS checks continued to be deposited into her bank account until her death. As a cosigner on her bank account I would receive and pay the monthly invoices for her care from this amount.

But.....her checks came very early in the month, so it might have been SSI rather than SS, eventhough she had been employed for over 40 years. She may have applied for SS, or SSDI or SSI, in 2015 at age 62 when she required surgery to remove a tumor from inside her skull. She continued to work part time following that but not certain if she ever worked fulltime again after recovering from that surgery.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 11-08-2022 at 05:32 PM..

Old 11-08-2022, 05:40 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,777,665 times
The initial post says she’s worked 5 of the last 10 years, and is this eligible for SSDI. You need the credits, the recent work, a qualifying condition, and you need to no longer be working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement